Peregrine Falcon with Wigeon prey (may upset some).

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Just before my arrival this Peregrine took down a Wigeon and was promptly harassed by a couple of Buzzards and some Rooks, it left its meal several times to make aggressive attacks on the other birds, eventually though being left to finish its meal.

Peregrine Falcon
by Roger, on Flickr

Peregrine Falcon
by Roger, on Flickr

Peregrine Falcon
by Roger, on Flickr

Peregrine Falcon
by Roger, on Flickr

My first encounter with a Peregrine ... don't they move fast! :)

WOW! :agree:

I am the last person to comment with 'great set' or such like, but these are incredible Roger! How on earth did you get that close?

From an ornithological perspective, I'm just amazed that you have been able to get next to the action. The only 'issue' I can see (on a photography forum), is that none of them are necesarilly photographic works of art - if you understand what I'm saying. In other words, I would give my eye teeth to have been there with a camera, but I'm not sure that any shot I could have taken in this circumstance would end-up in a frame on my wall. Last of the series for me is the best of them.(y)

Don't they just? another cracking set Roger !
Thanks Chris :)

WOW! :agree:

I am the last person to comment with 'great set' or such like, but these are incredible Roger! How on earth did you get that close?

From an ornithological perspective, I'm just amazed that you have been able to get next to the action. The only 'issue' I can see (on a photography forum), is that none of them are necesarilly photographic works of art - if you understand what I'm saying. In other words, I would give my eye teeth to have been there with a camera, but I'm not sure that any shot I could have taken in this circumstance would end-up in a frame on my wall. Last of the series for me is the best of them.(y)
Thanks John ... I was using the D500 with 500 f4 and TC-1.7Ell, so effectively 1275mm, and that's the only way I managed to get 'close', the bird was well aware that 'something' was clicking away at it but I guess it was determined to finish its well won and otherwise disturbed meal.
I completely agree with you about these not being for the wall, I hate bright sun on cluttered green grass but that's where it decided to eat unfortunately so I just had to go along with it. :)

I was using the D500 with 500 f4 and TC-1.7Ell
Nothing like as close as I thought then! :eek:

The detail on (and about) the bird is incredible - I thought you'd been using a 300mm!!! Well done! ;)

Very impressed to that with 1275mm lens you haven't got much grass blocking the view. As said above a it too graphical and not kind of hang on the wall picture but a great record!

Very impressed to that with 1275mm lens you haven't got much grass blocking the view. As said above a it too graphical and not kind of hang on the wall picture but a great record!
Thanks Thomas, yes 'nature in the raw' so not for the wall :)

What a great opportunity for you Roger you must have been well chuffed as they say :)

Beautiful set of nature at her finest and deadliest.

What a great set of images, Roger...and very well taken too.

#1 for me by a country mile, to have eye contact from both birds makes the shot, you can almost see the look of resignation in the eye of the Wigeon as its demise slowly comes to fruition.

Wildlife photography at its best IMO.

What a great set of images, Roger...and very well taken too.

#1 for me by a country mile, to have eye contact from both birds makes the shot, you can almost see the look of resignation in the eye of the Wigeon as its demise slowly comes to fruition.

Wildlife photography at its best IMO.
Thanks Andy, appreciate the comments ... another 'right place, right time' situation. :)

Jeepers, what a bird..

Great shots too..

Lovely set, #1for me wth the heads of both birds puts a human emotion into it. Great

great shots mate

Back