Peregrine webcam

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Wondered where to post this then saw Tringa's Curlew webcam which is excellent. I've looked at a few peregrine webcams and this seems the best-sited one..open and in good light .I keep it downsized on my screen (now with the curlew) all the time and yesterday the parents brought back a pigeon and two song birds within 20 minutes. No wonder they look so healthy. If anyone wants to look at an osprey there's a webcam at Loch Arkaig. Didn't want to add here.

https://hawkandowltrust.org/web-cam-live/norwich-cathedral-side

Wondered where to post this then saw Tringa's Curlew webcam which is excellent. I've looked at a few peregrine webcams and this seems the best-sited one..open and in good light .I keep it downsized on my screen (now with the curlew) all the time and yesterday the parents brought back a pigeon and two song birds within 20 minutes. No wonder they look so healthy. If anyone wants to look at an osprey there's a webcam at Loch Arkaig. Didn't want to add here.

https://hawkandowltrust.org/web-cam-live/norwich-cathedral-side
That’s an extraordinarily good one!

Here's another good one..peregrines..Cromer, North Norfolk.

I've seen a clip of one of these chicks eating a bird's leg. Ugh.

It won't play. Will try again. Maybe Google it.

Last edited:
Just had a look at the Chichester peregrine webcam -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzv8KHdwsr0

The chicks are looking healthy, if a bit windswept now. I'm not sure but I think there might be four chicks.

Dave

Just seen the webcam here is delayed by a few hours.

Last edited:
The chicks are looking healthy, if a bit windswept now. I'm not sure but I think there might be four chicks.

Yes 4 chicks, first hatched on VE day
I did post them in a separate thread in this section

Strictly speaking, a peregrine chick is an 'eyas'. :)

I certainly hope these aren't! ;)

eyas
noun
noun: eyas; plural noun: eyasses
  1. a young hawk, especially (in falconry) an unfledged nestling taken from the nest for training.

Last edited:
I certainly hope these aren't! ;)

eyas
noun
noun: eyas; plural noun: eyasses
  1. a young hawk, especially (in falconry) an unfledged nestling taken from the nest for training.

Especially, in this usage, but not exclusively. I like the word though, it has an archaic ring about it that's lacking in 'chick', which has other associations! :)

This might interest you: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eyas

The Norwich Peregrines are beginning to fledge now, the biggest one has lost most of it’s down.

The Norwich Peregrines are beginning to fledge now, the biggest one has lost most of it’s down.

My friend on the Watch team said the first week in June, Richard. They've grown very well and each chick has been fed equally.The parents are doing a great job as are the Cromer pair up the road. Both cams are on my screen all the time so I don't miss anything when I'm on my computer.

A bird with a yellow leg ring was brought in (to the Norwich nest) earlier and as the parent landed on the ledge one of the chicks..they all look the same to me..lol..snatched it from the parent and ran into the corner with it with its back to the other three..ie. 'don't bother coming over this is mine' :)

I was amused to see the Salisbury chicks have now left the nest and gone walkabout along the ledge ... at the time of writing huddled together on the ledge at the side of the nest. :)

My friend on the Watch team said the first week in June, Richard. They've grown very well and each chick has been fed equally.The parents are doing a great job as are the Cromer pair up the road. Both cams are on my screen all the time so I don't miss anything when I'm on my computer.

A bird with a yellow leg ring was brought in (to the Norwich nest) earlier and as the parent landed on the ledge one of the chicks..they all look the same to me..lol..snatched it from the parent and ran into the corner with it with its back to the other three..ie. 'don't bother coming over this is mine' :)
I think the chicks are playing their part too as you have indicated there, John. When I first started watching is seemed like one was noticeably smaller. I saw it at the back “mouthing” while parent was feeding the other 2/3 and thought “you’re not going to make it“ when suddenly it put its head down and forced a way between the wall and a larger chick to get to the front :).

I think the chicks are playing their part too as you have indicated there, John. When I first started watching is seemed like one was noticeably smaller. I saw it at the back “mouthing” while parent was feeding the other 2/3 and thought “you’re not going to make it“ when suddenly it put its head down and forced a way between the wall and a larger chick to get to the front :).

Yes.. I recall that,Richard. I thought the same too but the plucky little fella/lass wasn't going to be left out. So..`soon there will be another 8 peregrines out and about soon. Four at Cromer, I think..just checked and it's just one big ball of fluff. Must be chilly up there this morning. The Norwich gang are up having a wash & brush up..lol.Looking at the map only 21 miles apart. Bad news for the local wildlife,especially pigeons. I assume though, that like many species the young will have to look for different territory well away from the parents.

Yes.. I recall that,Richard. I thought the same too but the plucky little fella/lass wasn't going to be left out. So..`soon there will be another 8 peregrines out and about soon. Four at Cromer, I think..just checked and it's just one big ball of fluff. Must be chilly up there this morning. The Norwich gang are up having a wash & brush up..lol.Looking at the map only 21 miles apart. Bad news for the local wildlife,especially pigeons. I assume though, that like many species the young will have to look for different territory well away from the parents.
I have mixed feelings about raptors, John, since I found a Sparrowhawk trying to murder one of my Black Rosecomb bantie hens outside my back door one morning (probably told that before - it didn’t succeed :)) and have always felt that if I had a gun in my hand at the time I would have shot it as it carried the hen off :(. I know racing pigeon fanciers feel the same way about Peregrines especially :(.

I have mixed feelings about raptors, John, since I found a Sparrowhawk trying to murder one of my Black Rosecomb bantie hens outside my back door one morning (probably told that before - it didn’t succeed :)) and have always felt that if I had a gun in my hand at the time I would have shot it as it carried the hen off :(. I know racing pigeon fanciers feel the same way about Peregrines especially :(.

I'm surprised it would go for a hen that size..I have reservations too. We've lost regular blackbirds and a few weeks ago a blue tit . I don't know why the SH comes, gets it's prey (ie a successful location for it because I put out seed and fat balls..on the ground by a bush)..and then we don't see it for ages. I saved a collared dove one day. The SH was on top of it but flew off when I went to it. After a 5 minute rest in the bushes, with me standing by as I suspected the SH would soon return which it did a few minutes later and glared at me..lol ....the lucky dove flew off.

I'm surprised it would go for a hen that size..I have reservations too. We've lost regular blackbirds and a few weeks ago a blue tit . I don't know why the SH comes, gets it's prey (ie a successful location for it because I put out seed and fat balls..on the ground by a bush)..and then we don't see it for ages. I saved a collared dove one day. The SH was on top of it but flew off when I went to it. After a 5 minute rest in the bushes, with me standing by as I suspected the SH would soon return which it did a few minutes later and glared at me..lol ....the lucky dove flew off.
The Black Rosecombs are what is called “true bantams”, only come in that size and the hens are somewhere between collard dove & woodpigeon. No one knows where they came from (East Indies probably) and have been bred here for many centuries. These are some of mine in the garden:

View: https://youtu.be/zC0CpxM_jGc

And to show they are a bit feisty:

View: https://youtu.be/TATL6CCCt4o

Last edited:
The Black Rosecombs are what is called “true bantams”, only come in that size and the hens are somewhere between collard dove & woodpigeon. No one knows where they came from (East Indies probably) and have been bred here for many centuries. These are some of mine in the garden:

And to show they are a bit feisty:

Theyr'e good videos. The hens look larger than somewhere between a collared dove and and a wood pigeon but as that's the case then a sparrow hawk would be able to manage one I suppose.

The fighting cocks made me chuckle the way they leap over each other. A large paddock and they peck around next to each other ..lol

The fighting cocks made me chuckle the way they leap over each other. A large paddock and they peck around next to each other ..lol

Not in this case. These lived “wild” in the garden which is fairly big but also went into next doors which is enormous, out on the front drive, which is big, the grassy roadside verge and occasionally over the road (fairly busy A Class road) :). The cocks lived amicably much of the time until something sparked them off and then it was a fight to the death often, no good trying to stop them.

They roosted in a Hawthorn & Holly tree. I sometimes managed to find their nests & gave the hens a coop like there because they were very keen to get back to roosting often before most of the chicks were ready :(. But they were very secretive and wouldn’t go back to the nest if you were watching :(.

Sorry, John, I’ve polluted your thread a bit, but there is a tenuous link to Peregrines or raptors anyway :(.

Sorry, John, I’ve polluted your thread a bit, but there is a tenuous link to Peregrines or raptors anyway :(.

Not atall,Richard. I never gave it a thought. As you say, it's relevent and threads do deviate sometimes. My view is that I'm happy to read anything that informs. When I talk about sparrow hawks I can now say that I know someone who had one of his hens attacked by a sparrow hawk and I'll bet they wouldn't have believed that up to that point. (y)

Not atall,Richard. I never gave it a thought. As you say, it's relevent and threads do deviate sometimes. My view is that I'm happy to read anything that informs. When I talk about sparrow hawks I can now say that I know someone who had one of his hens attacked by a sparrow hawk and I'll bet they wouldn't have believed that up to that point. (y)
Umm, it’s even worse than that. Most of them were taken almost certainly by a Tawny Owl. As I said, they roosted in a bushy area but my brother reduced the height to get more sunshine. Later I noticed the number of hens was diminishing but thought they were brooding though I couldn’t find any, but they are surprising difficult to find. Then one day a cockerel disappeared and I knew he wasn't sitting on eggs anywhere! Long story short, I ended up with only 1 cock & 2 older hens. They were always safe (unless brooding) from foxes (which took all my larger hens) because they roosted really early, long before twilight and didn’t come down until quite late in the morning, betraying their tropical origins I think. The Sparrowhawk wouldn’t have taken them at night and anyway always leaves a lot of feathered evidence so I think an owl or owls is the only possible, taking them at night :(.

Umm, it’s even worse than that. Most of them were taken almost certainly by a Tawny Owl.

Just seen your reply,Richard. I tend to rely on alerts.I cut down the quote to save on space.

Sounds like a constant battle agains wildlife. Quite disheartening. I thought owls stuck to small mammals, the likes of mice and voles of different varieties and whatever else runs in the long grass, the largest being rabbits so I suppose a hen..small ones like yours, would be within the size of prey.

I took a look at the Cromer peregrine webcam at 8.15 this morning and saw the largest chick out of the nest box and sitting on the ridge tiles of the roof below the nest. It looks to be about a couple metres below.It was exercising its wings. Then a parent returned and also sat on the ridge tiles but a metre from the chick which then hopped along to it .The parent then came off the ridge tiles onto the regular tiles. The chick went to it again and it flew off. The chick eventually returned to the nesting box.

There's now a lot of wing flapping by the Norwich chicks. Sadly, a blackbird was brought it yesterday evening.

Bath Peregrines seem to be doing extremely well, must be almost ready to fledge, Nottingham on the ther hand looks well behind especially as it is a single chick.

Just seen your reply,Richard. I tend to rely on alerts.I cut down the quote to save on space.

Sounds like a constant battle agains wildlife. Quite disheartening. I thought owls stuck to small mammals, the likes of mice and voles of different varieties and whatever else runs in the long grass, the largest being rabbits so I suppose a hen..small ones like yours, would be within the size of prey.
Black Rosecombs hens weigh only 600 gms so anything that lift a rabbit ... . However, Ibdont really know. We have Tawny Owls and I’ve hear Long Eared Owls (too small). I just can’t see a Sparrowhawk taking so many without evidence. The are Buzzards just up the road and I had a young one sitting in the garden looking puzzled before it flew off — I guessed it had made a stab at someting & missed, I have a lot of mice & some voles in the garden. Goshawks are supposed to be more common (but I’ve never seen one here though these gardens could pas for open woodland) and maybe they could easily lift a small hen without much struggle but just seems unlike.it is just possible a fox could get up there and they do often go up trees — I’ve seen one ‘asleep’ in the daytime with plenty of people about.

There's also a site at my old university on the main Nottingham Trent University building,

Brilliant..Lol What a gobby little chick. :) Billy no-mates too. I'll keep it on my screen along with the other two. I check the webcams as soon as I get up in the morning and have a cuppa watching.

Just as I opened the link a parent came in with something..white..a gull maybe and it chirped and chirped in excitement. It looks very healthy.

That largest chick at Cromer keeps leaving the nest and the 4 at Norwich are hunkered down in a corner, it's very windy.

Reactions: JDP

John, I’ve just seen Loch Arkaig video on YouTube of the female Osprey being struck by an owl at night — it’s implied, but not stated, that it was a Tawny Owl, on May 2nd this year.
View: https://youtu.be/7Gc1CrxnvvQ

A commenter wrote “I almost thought the owl banged in to her till I read the description on them fighting with the tawny owl last year”

I haven’t seen the last year incident.

Edit. There are quite a few YouTube videos of Tawny Owls apparently trying to carry off Ospreys, both at Loch Arkaig & elsewhere.

Last edited:
@JohnC6 John, Still In my relentless pursuit of Owls :) I’ve found this video on YouTube that appears to show a Barn Owl (!) trying to carry off a Tawny from its nest:

View: https://youtu.be/95HFmYu8B34

I guess we don’t know exactly what these owls see in the dark, it may be that they can’t judge the size of birds on nests hunkered down.

I wonder if the accounts of owl diets, mainly small mammals etc which they swallow whole, are biassed by data from owl “pellets”? I think it’s indicated that they de-feather and de-flesh larger prey in which case it may be less obvious in the pellets.

Shame Norwich has lost its broadband connection apparently just when the chicks were nearing ‘take-off’ :(.

Hi, Richard..

Good footage. It just so happens that in Springwatch they mentioned this predation..one type of owl on another. Good to see the youngster fight it off.

My Peregrine Watch friend at Norwich Emailed me this morning and the reason the webcam is offline is that it was hit by lightning..or the church lightning conductor was, more likely. She's really annoyed as one fledged at midday yesterday .I can't see the chick at your alma mater but it's nowhere near fledging so it's gone walk-abouts. Noisy little..sod..lol. The Cromer chicks go walk-abouts too and are still there and they're a week behind the Norwich chicks.

Hope you';re keeping well..or rather as well as you can be. Macmillan have cut down to a three-day week says Elizabeth but maybe that's just for those at her level..Development Managers.. rather than frontline staff.

Talk of the Devil..lol I've just been called down to our meal..lunch/dinner. I'm, not sure. When wew eat at this time..3.00pm we usually have a favourite of mine at about 7.00pm. Toasted cheese sandwich. I can';t eat cheese raw..I get a reaction to it,especially the strong ones..Cheshire-Cheddar Leicester etc .I get the sort of feelinmg you get with 'flu. Moist forehead/eyelids. No aches..just feel orf...lol. I've had this since I was under five and recall getting it when I had salad with salad cream. I don't have vinegar with fish 'n chips either. I wonder if it's acetic acid ?? It would 'flash off' in a grille or sandwich-maker...I think.

Better go..

Cheers,
John

Back