Phew cancelling sky

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
as above what a bloody kerfuffle ,we have decided to finally abandon sky t.v ,due to not really using it enough to warrant the payments ,considering I have been with them since 1989 it was long overdue .but it’s taken half a hour on the phone while the lad tried to talk me out of it ,going through the same arguments again and again .i think he finally got the message and it’s like a weight off my mind .
Just wouldn’t believe how hard it was to close my account

I did it on line IIRC. Still get the rejoin for cheap letters but I just recycle them or send them back marked as unsolicited spam post.

as above what a bloody kerfuffle ,we have decided to finally abandon sky t.v ,due to not really using it enough to warrant the payments ,considering I have been with them since 1989 it was long overdue .but it’s taken half a hour on the phone while the lad tried to talk me out of it ,going through the same arguments again and again .i think he finally got the message and it’s like a weight off my mind .
Just wouldn’t believe how hard it was to close my account

Get ready for the bombardment of phone calls asking you to rejoin, I used to get them at least 3 or 4 calls a week, until they got the hint, get them about once a month now

If they do that you just have to repeat "I just want to cancel" over and over again. Don't answer the questions. Keep saying that. I had the same nonsense with VM when cancelling their broadband.

Get ready for the bombardment of phone calls asking you to rejoin, I used to get them at least 3 or 4 calls a week, until they got the hint, get them about once a month now

If they phone tell them to put you on the do not call list. If they ignore it then you can report them and companies have been known to have to pay damages to the person they call.

I am planning a call to VM in a few weeks to see if there is a deal on the table.
last time I got a good deal I had to say I was leaving to go to sky

The last time I cancelled with Sky (back with them now for the F1) I had a similar experience, they got the message as I cancelled the direct debit online while on the phone to them, somehow they thought that their procedure to take the full months payment a few weeks later, meaning I would be paying for 2 weeks after the 30 days notice period, was just fine and dandy as my account would then be in credit if I returned. I sent them a cheque for the balance.

Any conversations I have with TV/Phone/Broadband/Energy etc is now just a repeat of what I want, don't enter into any diversion tactics. I keep it nice and polite and just keep repeating I'm cancelling, often don't even tell them why.

Last edited:
If they phone tell them to put you on the do not call list. If they ignore it then you can report them and companies have been known to have to pay damages to the person they call.

Ah good to know, I’ll do that if they ring again!

After I left sky for a couple of months, they offered me 60% off any package for 5 years, so I did rejoin on the basic box set pack.

I cancelled Sky 5 years ago and still have the full package.
They never switched it off. :LOL:
They did that to me once, I phoned to cancel, which took forever, but the woman took a strop and finally said, right that's it cancelled, but it never was. We still had the same service until I moved house and didn't pay another penny.

Might be worth checking your bank account.... [emoji23]

Not paid a penny since.
Nor can they ask for back payment when they do eventually catch on. :)

Not paid a penny since.
Nor can they ask for back payment when they do eventually catch on. :)

Had the same thing happen, which gave my mum and I free internet for eight or so years. We had been getting a special plan because we knew somebody who worked for the company at the time. After that person left the company to work elsewhere, the company simply forgot to charge us for the service.

I’d had Sky since day one and like most found it getting expensive. When I went to cancel 3 years ago the girl on the phone asked what it would take for me to stay I said ‘let me have it for nothing’.
I got it for free for a year then phoned up and still cancelled it

We moved to Virgin media last month, called to cancel and had to spend 30 minutes telling the guy he had no chance of making enough savings that would keep me, we had more or less full TV phone and broadband
Finally get passed to the last resort team who basically have all the toys to try and keep you

SKy -Do you watch sports
Me- Yes F1 and cycling so need the F1 channel
Sky - Well if you remove the sports channels that will save you £20 DOH!

Finally says we can get it down to £45, £20 for this, £20 for that, £15 for the other and fibre Broadband £10,
Me - is that not £65
Sky - Oh yes sorry
Me - So thats with fibre broadband is it? what speed is that?
Sky - let me check, oh sorry sky fibre is not set up fro your area yet so that will take £5 off Making it £62.50.
Me - er would that not be £60
Sky - No because with out the fibre broadband we have to charge for this instead

SO let me see, Virgin will give me fibre broadband, sky sports and BT sports (extra with sky) Free evening and weekend calls (extra with sky) for the same money

I cancelled mine 6 months ago, don't miss it at all. I just told them the only thing I watched was Game of Thrones and that isn't on for like 18 months. With Netflix, Amazon Prime, Odeon Limitless I have enough things to watch. Did take a few firm answers and tell them the only deal I'd consider is if they offer me on a single digit monthly fee which obviously they can't.

T be honest, I have the Apple TV set up and have the full key package run though Apple TV. However, I will probably stop it soon, as I don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. We probably only watch one movie a week and the odd TV program in the evening - but often these are on the free Chanels anyway!

T be honest, I have the Apple TV set up and have the full key package run though Apple TV. However, I will probably stop it soon, as I don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. We probably only watch one movie a week and the odd TV program in the evening - but often these are on the free Chanels anyway!

I don’t understand the Apple TV connection. Sky isn’t available through Apple TV. Now TV is though.

I don’t understand the Apple TV connection. Sky isn’t available through Apple TV. Now TV is though.

Ah yes, my error - I mean the Now TV. I've got the family and friends applied to my Now TV, which means it all costs me around £5!

All this talk of people cancelling sky and swmbo wants to have Sky TV :banghead:

All this talk of people cancelling sky and swmbo wants to have Sky TV :banghead:

I’m moving shortly and would have not had Sky but, like you, my OH insists we have it. At least I got a friends and family discount on it.

so far I have had one phone call and one e/mail but no doubt that will increase as the deadline draws nearer ,I did actually cancel 12 months ago but the wife went on there to check her balance owing and clicked on a 12 further months offer by mistake .so she is banned from checking it now .but they are crafty bastards the way its worded on screen .

Got no real issue with sky, rarely watch terestrial channels, but a lot of Discovery, sky one, Eurosport and F1. Combined package with Broadband and line rental was hitting £100 a month and thats with out Movies
They currently do not offer fibre broadband although for the uses I have their standard broadband was fast enough.

So Virgin do offer fibre and all the stuff we get on sky plus BT sports free for MotoGP coverage. Currently £70 for 12 months then reverts to £95

Plan is to now bounce between the 2 which ever will offer the best deal, pretty sure Virgin will discount to keep us, sky were willing to go down to £62.50

Back