weekly Phil S 52 in 2020. Complete!

Very nice. I had also thought about doing tomatoes! They certainly are colourful.

I can recommend Isle of Wight tomatoes for the taste. They're one of the few that taste like home grown ones, and I hunt them out locally :) Bizarrely our local Sainsbury's don't sell them although my in laws could get them in the Midlands. Other local shops do though luckily.

Nice toms! And such a variety of colours!

Look interesting but unfortunately their taste was a bit disappointing.
That's what happens when you mess with nature :D

Nicely colourful Phil.

Music
I like the looks of that, it's clean and simple.

Colourful
A good selection of coloured Tom's, if they're imported they never taste as nice as local ones.

I like the fact you've used different colours and I like the framing. Shame about the taste though.

Very nice. I had also thought about doing tomatoes! They certainly are colourful.

I can recommend Isle of Wight tomatoes for the taste. They're one of the few that taste like home grown ones, and I hunt them out locally :) Bizarrely our local Sainsbury's don't sell them although my in laws could get them in the Midlands. Other local shops do though luckily.

I agree in general but these were IoW tomatoes - hence the disappointment...

To me, tomatoes are red but I know there are a variety of different colours nowadays. I like the close-up crop and depth-of-field.

Thanks. When first cultivated tomatoes were often yellow or orange, red then became more popular - its good to see a variety of colours available now.

Nice toms! And such a variety of colours!
Nice colourful image good use of DoF too
That's what happens when you mess with nature :D

Nicely colourful Phil.
Nice and colourful and good to see you resisted going really shallow with the DoF (imo).
Music
I like the looks of that, it's clean and simple.

Colourful
A good selection of coloured Tom's, if they're imported they never taste as nice as local ones.
Well composed and shot - I like the variety of colours you have captured within a single supply of tomatoes.
Very colourful.. shame about the taste :)
Music is a cracking image, very well done.
Colourful is bang on theme.
I like the fact you've used different colours and I like the framing. Shame about the taste though.
Nice selection of colours. I like the tight framing and the focus on the stalk. Nice detail.

Thanks folks!

Week 20 - Something old

Tried to find something very old and came across this - Badger stone on Ilkley moor. The indentations are weathered carvings thought to date from the Bronze age (about 4000 years ago).

And before you ask, yes I was baht'at but hopefully won't catch my death o'cowd (very careful social distancing :)).

Badger stone by Philip Stanley, on Flickr

I"d be equally disappointed if my IOW tomatoes didn't taste good!

I think you might win the cup for the photo depicting the oldest thing for this theme. Lovely moody sky and I agree with @Fuji Dave - the background really adds to it.

Lovely back drop to a well textured stone Phil.

Colourful: Fantastic.

Old: Great pic from gods very own County. The backdrop is as stunning as the subject.

My subject is a mere whippersnapper in comparison. Great moody sky and composition (and glad to hear you're "steering clear o' fowk")

Cracking image Phil, the main view being of the Badger Stone but with a beautiful background just makes it a cracker.
I"d be equally disappointed if my IOW tomatoes didn't taste good!

I think you might win the cup for the photo depicting the oldest thing for this theme. Lovely moody sky and I agree with @Fuji Dave - the background really adds to it.
I see you too the challenge and went on to find something older!
What @Bebop said. That's very likely to be the shot of the oldest thing.
Landscapes are not my area, but I do like how you've composed it to put the top of the stone level with thee ridge in the distance.
Agree with what others said. Unusual to see a single big stone in the middle of nowhere.
Quite a lot of odd stones in this location.
Lovely back drop to a well textured stone Phil.
Certainly old nice moody sky which is very fitting too
Colourful: Fantastic.

Old: Great pic from gods very own County. The backdrop is as stunning as the subject.
Old
Yup, that is oooold.
Good colours, tones and a moody sky too.
My subject is a mere whippersnapper in comparison. Great moody sky and composition (and glad to hear you're "steering clear o' fowk")
Nice landscape shot for something old. Nice composition and thank you for the information behind it.

Thanks for all your comments.

Love your liquid shot. Cannot imagine how difficult it was to do!! Off camera flash?

Edit: Surprisingly yes I did find something older. I had struggled all week and then it occurred to me I had something very, very old almost on my doorstep. Not so photogenic though as your subject!

Last edited:
Love your liquid shot. Cannot imagine how difficult it was to do!! Off camera flash?

Edit: Surprisingly yes I did find something older. I had struggled all week and then it occurred to me I had something very, very old almost on my doorstep. Not so photogenic though as your subject!

Yes, off camera flash with grid and a fair amount of trial and error!

Yes, off camera flash with grid and a fair amount of trial and error!
I've been playing with doing the same today - found it frustrating :LOL: but it's all a learning curve! You've got great results - just the right amount of reflections to give it substance.

Nicely done water shot :)

Something old: A lovely landscape Phil and great to see the surroundings in the background.
Liquid: Very nicely done and works well in black & white.

Excellent work :)
I'm confused by the exif - I initially assumed this was done with flash, checked the exif and it said no flash (though the other settings said it had to be lit) and you've confirmed it was OCF.
Does the sony only record flash as being used if it's on camera?

Excellent work :)
I'm confused by the exif - I initially assumed this was done with flash, checked the exif and it said no flash (though the other settings said it had to be lit) and you've confirmed it was OCF.
Does the sony only record flash as being used if it's on camera?
Thanks. The Sony exif doesn't record flash when it has triggered my cheap flash remote trigger - perhaps if it was a more sophisticated trigger it might....

Great shot for liquid, really suits the B&W treatment too. (y)

Lovely liquid image, the processing works well too.

Old Lovely image great with the dramatic sky.

Liquid that's a cracker great processing you caught the action well.

Back