weekly Phil S 52 in 2020. Complete!

You've captured just enough motion blurr to show its moving with out loosing all the detail, the B/W suits it.

Hi Phil,
I do like a black and white photo, and I think it works really well in this shot. I love the way you have captured the motion in the saw and maintained the sharpness in the end of the fence post. I like the way you have caught the sawdust falling to the floor too.

Nice shot for tool Phil, I like how the slower shutter speed had blurred the saw blade so it looks like the grain of wood. I don't know if this was what you were going for but it's what stands out to me. Nice work

Nice shot there, personally I think a slightly wider crop may work better, but great nonetheless :)

Nice mono and good movement :)

Hi Phil

Love the Image, so much detail and the movement is just right. The angle of the saw is just right and that's the most important part of the image.

Pete

Like it Phil, great movement on the saw and the light works well, looks good in mono too.

Nice work - really like the bit of movement you can see in the saw.

Hi Phil nice action shot great B&W conversion the end of the timber is a little burnt out but not too much

Last edited by a moderator:
pleasure - nice reflections, very sharp

tool - I love that photo, great tool-in-action shot, B&W conversion works very well

Another good B&W shot kicking off for the tool theme, great that you managed to get the saw blur movement too and like the bit of wood dust falling off.
The trick some do here to see if a shot is level is, slowly scroll up or down till the horizon is bang on line with the top of the page.
Thanks for the tip - glad you liked the dust

Quick off the mark this week, Phil. You have captured a really nice black & white image. Exposure time is good - long enough to blur the teeth whilst still retaining enough motion and texture.
What they said - lovely shot of a tool in use. The end of the off cut looks a little close to burnt out, but only looking on a tablet so probably my screen.

Edited in to English... Sorry for commenting when I was clearly to tired to see straight.
Hi Phil nice shot, good in b&w, I like the bit of movement in the saw too.
Only thing I would add to the comments above is that the tight crop works really well for this shot (y)
You've captured just enough motion blurr to show its moving with out loosing all the detail, the B/W suits it.
Hi Phil,
I do like a black and white photo, and I think it works really well in this shot. I love the way you have captured the motion in the saw and maintained the sharpness in the end of the fence post. I like the way you have caught the sawdust falling to the floor too.

That's a clever shot Phil, very good work!
As others have said, the way you have captured some motion blur in the blade, and maintained those 'striations' on the blade sharp...excellent!
Works very well as b&w too.
Nice work!(y)
Nice shot for tool Phil, I like how the slower shutter speed had blurred the saw blade so it looks like the grain of wood. I don't know if this was what you were going for but it's what stands out to me. Nice work
Nice shot there, personally I think a slightly wider crop may work better, but great nonetheless :)
Nice mono and good movement :)
Hi Phil

Love the Image, so much detail and the movement is just right. The angle of the saw is just right and that's the most important part of the image.

Pete
Like it Phil, great movement on the saw and the light works well, looks good in mono too.
It works well
Nice work - really like the bit of movement you can see in the saw.
Like how you got the movement in the shot to give it the action, well captured.
Can only echo others' comments. Great work.
Hi Phil nice action shot great B&W conversion the end of the timber is a little burnt out but not too much
pleasure - nice reflections, very sharp

tool - I love that photo, great tool-in-action shot, B&W conversion works very well
Nice one. Good texture on the saw blade.
Nice and tight composition and lovely motion blur. Looks good in B/W.
It's all been said already, Phil! It's spot on for the theme with just the right amount of motion, and monochrome was the perfect choice for this one. (y)

Thanks for the encouraging comments - it took some experimentation to get the right amount of blur but was keen to show a tool in action.

Nice... I had considered a shot, was.thibking an action shot of the discarded card being thrown down

Nice... I had considered a shot, was.thibking an action shot of the discarded card being thrown down
Thanks. I did try some shots with motion blur but didn't get the action and timing right - perhaps I should have persevered.

Thanks. I did try some shots with motion blur but didn't get the action and timing right - perhaps I should have persevered.
Tink something that works as a team. Assume the hand is yours?

I had the same idea, initially, and it was going to be Rummy! great minds etc etc. :D Anyway, nice shot and the mono processing works well, also a good DoF and pool of light which draws the eye nicely in.

Really nice shot with the light going diagonally across from dark to light. B&W really 'suits' it as well!

Nice lateral thinking there Phil.
Good use of DoF as well

That's a great shot Phil for the discarded theme Phil!;)
Very creative!(y)

I remember a shot of mine from last year, where I too tried to factor in motion blur whilst throwing cards....it's next to impossible, so after about 50 or 60 shots, I gave up!!:giggle:

Yours is an excellent image, good use of DoF and very well processed for b&w.

Nice to see a different take on the theme. Good b&w conversion.

Great image and interpretation of the theme, I would probably have moved the card in the hand slightly to the left to hide the part of the cards below that is only a sliver of the suit graphic

Very nicely thought through really like the B&W processing a nice original idea.

A well thought out interpretation of the theme. I like the light and the processing.

Nice interpretation of the theme. I agree with you I think the B&W works for this photo because the colours of the suits does not distract the eye. I love the grain of the wood in the table blending with the cards. Thumbs up from me

Lovely composition - understand the choice for B&W, but I'm visualising a shot with all one colour in the hands and discarding the opposite?

Cleverest interpretation of the theme for this one - nicely shot too :)

Nice idea on discarded, nicely executed. :)

Great idea to take discarded in the bridge/rummy sense! I like the composition and the processing! How did you manage to hold the cards and take that photo???

Back