weekly Phil S 52 in 2020. Complete!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a walk in Roundhay Park, Leeds to capture a local interest for week 1 - and an added bonus of a silhouette.

Barran's fountain, Roundhay Park by Philip Stanley, on Flickr

Barran's fountain was built in 1882 by John Barran MP to provide drinking water for park visitors. Restored in 2004 but without a water supply. John Barran was a Liberal MP for Leeds and later for Otley, a clothing manufacturer and Leeds benefactor - being instrumental in creating Roundhay Park. He lost his seat in parliament in 1895 and was created a baronet (little has changed it seems!).

Nice bit of history there, shame they didn't restore the water supply, it would have been better for the environment.
Nice strong blacks in the silhouette there and framing using the tree and bush. You've also controlled the exposure really well, it would have been easy to over expose.
(y)

Nice composition and as others have said the blacks really make this stand out

Nice sillywet of the thing!

Very nicely done Phil, a good shot and like the shadows.

Thanks Dave

Nice bit of history there, shame they didn't restore the water supply, it would have been better for the environment.
Nice strong blacks in the silhouette there and framing using the tree and bush. You've also controlled the exposure really well, it would have been easy to over expose.
(y)

Apparently it was supplied directly from Eccup reservoir so perhaps that wasn't fit for purpose and would have meant laying new pipes.
Used manual exposure - a good thing with an EVF is that it gives a reasonable guide to the final result.

Nice composition and as others have said the blacks really make this stand out

Nice sillywet of the thing!

Good shot to start your 52. The long shadows work really well.

Thanks for the feedback

Nicely shot in difficult lighting condition, great start there :)

Really like the shadow lines - great start :)

Great shadows in the green grass, nice silhouette!

Hi Phil, nice composition and silhouette.
Great start to your 52 challenge Phil!(y)

A very interesting subject, and a nice bit of history to go with it.
I like your use of the silhouette technique, and those shadows are tremendous.
Very nicely done!:clap:
Welcome to the 52, Phil, and you're off the mark with a strong image. I like the unusual subject and the history, and those long shadows are fantastic (y)
Good exposure in the sky and a really good silhouette.
nice shot I like the shadows
Nicely shot in difficult lighting condition, great start there :)
Really like the shadow lines - great start :)
Great shadows in the green grass, nice silhouette!

Thank you all, much appreciated.

Nice crisp clean image and reflections :)

Simple and to the point... like the use of the cap as well. Cheers!

Nice simple image, great use of the reflection of the glass..

Excellent lighting, clever composition, very much like this shot.

Nice shot, lovely reflections. Well done :)

A simple and clean image. I see you can't wait to finish the beer.
lZGEpDZ.gif

Great shot of beer glass and bottle. For me don’t know if cap distracts. Personally if I was going to include it would of possibly tilted against bottle. I’d of also poured the beer into the glass. Reflections really work and well lit. Bang on theme, beautifully lit.

The problem with missing a week of commenting is that everything has already been said! What else is there to say - it's a good idea, clean and simple and very effective. The only improvement I could see is @daveferguson 's comment about pouring beer into the glass; I think that would have warmed up the cold tones from the empty glass.

Nice crisp clean image and reflections :)

Thanks

Simple and to the point... like the use of the cap as well. Cheers!

Cheers
Cool image for the theme Phil, I learnt a trick on how to check if the horizon is level and yours is just very slightly tilting to the left but still a good shot.

Must be my wonky eyes - what's the trick?

Nice simple image, great use of the reflection of the glass..

Nicely done Phil. I like the addition of the bottle op, it's a nice touch.
Well lit, simple and to the point :)

Excellent lighting, clever composition, very much like this shot.

Definitely pleasurable! Nice shot.

Thanks all

Great reflections Phil, how long did you spend polishing the table?

Hours and hours of hard work (not)

Really neat shot, super use of reflections.
Wonderful reflections, and a great composition make this a super image Phil!(y)
clean and simple great reflection
Nice shot, lovely reflections. Well done :)
A simple and clean image. I see you can't wait to finish the beer.
lZGEpDZ.gif
Nice and simply image great reflections fits the theme perfectly

Thanks glad you liked it.

Great shot of beer glass and bottle. For me don’t know if cap distracts. Personally if I was going to include it would of possibly tilted against bottle. I’d of also poured the beer into the glass. Reflections really work and well lit. Bang on theme, beautifully lit.
Was in 2 minds about the cap - fair point. The beer was drunk before the picture!
Simple but effective. Nice reflection too.
Thanks
The problem with missing a week of commenting is that everything has already been said! What else is there to say - it's a good idea, clean and simple and very effective. The only improvement I could see is @daveferguson 's comment about pouring beer into the glass; I think that would have warmed up the cold tones from the empty glass.
Thanks. There was no beer left and I'd have had to rethink the title!

Another good B&W shot kicking off for the tool theme, great that you managed to get the saw blur movement too and like the bit of wood dust falling off.
The trick some do here to see if a shot is level is, slowly scroll up or down till the horizon is bang on line with the top of the page.

What they said - lovely shot of a tool in use. The end of the off cut looks a little close to burnt out, but only looking on a tablet so probably my screen.

Edited in to English... Sorry for commenting when I was clearly to tired to see straight.

Last edited:
Back