weekly Phil the Juggler's 2016_16 - Week 7 - Danger(ous)

Week 1: Metal

p1617140882-6.jpg

Camera make:Canon
Camera model:Canon EOS 70D
Focal length:105 mm
Max lens aperture:f/2.8
Exposure:1/125 at f/13
Flash:Fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Manual
Exposure prog.:Manual
ISO speed:ISO 100
Metering mode:Partial

Week 1 - Metal

Thought I'd try and get some molten metal! Used a 70D on a tripod (useful having the articulated screen!) and a 580EX2 off camera on a stand. Manual focussed, put it on a timer and tried to get lots of smoke!

Thanks for looking!

Phil

Hello Phil, great idea for the theme, really nice lighting and the detail is spot on. Good luck completing your 52

Thanks for the techy stuff, that's really interesting to see those details

Im not sure about the size of your watermark its a bit distracting

Good luck Phil - I am in the same position 2 false starts since I completed 2009.

I love the detail of the smoke and the way the bright yellow stands out among the muted colours of the wires (y)

Well composed and interesting take.

I'm not keen on the watermark as it really distracts, but I understand why folk us them.

Welcome back, you posted some belters last year (y)

Cheers.

Many many thanks for all the kind words. Removed the watermark as it was obviously irritating!

I look forward to scouring the threads tomorrow night and commenting on lots of photos!

Phil

Great start Phil, great idea well taken (y)

Week 1 - Metal

Thought I'd try and get some molten metal! Used a 70D on a tripod (useful having the articulated screen!) and a 580EX2 off camera on a stand. Manual focussed, put it on a timer and tried to get lots of smoke!

Thanks for looking!

Phil

Nicely done. Mission accomplished! (y)

Nice photo, as others have said, the yellow and the smoke really make the shot. Only a suggestion, but for me I'm not keen on the clip holding the wire on the right and would have prefered it with the wire just coming in from that side.

Great start Phil....very fitting!

Week 2 - Captive
p1807751277-5.jpg

Camera make:Canon
Camera model:Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Focal length:85 mm
Max lens aperture:f/1.2
Exposure:1/125 at f/5.6
Flash:Fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Manual
Exposure prog.:Manual
ISO speed:ISO 100

Week 2 - Metal

The fab model 'Em Teresa' was kind enough to don gaffer tape for this mocked-up captive shot.

I had very little time and no convenient indoor location to shoot from so I simply set up a Canon 580EXII shooting through a 30cm white gridded beauty dish triggered by a Hahnel Tuff wireless trigger. I set the flash to manual output - around 1/64 IIRC!

I used the beauty dish with a grid to give a controlled pool of fairly soft light. The dish was left and above camera - I added the negative space in Photoshop afterwards. The idea was to juxtapose the captive model crammed right against the space on the left.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Nailed it. Got exactly what you were looking for and the negative space as you put it works well.

I first wanted more light on the subject, but then that's what makes it work for me now. You want to see more. It's dark and scary to an extent because of it's suggestive nature.

Top effort :)

Last edited:
Phil that is a fabulous take on the theme. The pleading look in her eyes screams HELP ME and the lighting plus the great use of negative space adds another dimension to what could have been just another picture. You've nailed it :woot::woot::woot:

Wonderful image Phil. Beautiful lighting and even more beautiful model. When I first saw the image I thought maybe the space should be in front rather than at her back but I see now why you did that and it certainly works. Clearly my novice status showing through. :clap:

Very nice Phil, I like the way you framed her too,
you achieved what you set out to do IMO (y)

Captive - fantastic take on the theme, love the way the model is lit. I think this is one of the best takes on the theme I have seen.

Many thanks! The beauty dish gives a lovely light.

Nailed it. Got exactly what you were looking for and the negative space as you put it works well.

I first wanted more light on the subject, but then that's what makes it work for me now. You want to see more. It's dark and scary to an extent because of it's suggestive nature.

Top effort :)

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment!

Love it. Perfect lighting from this, the negative space offers the fear of the unknown and great expression from Em Teresa!

Em's a cracking model!

Phil that is a fabulous take on the theme. The pleading look in her eyes screams HELP ME and the lighting plus the great use of negative space adds another dimension to what could have been just another picture. You've nailed it :woot::woot::woot:

Thank you very much!

Wonderful image Phil. Beautiful lighting and even more beautiful model. When I first saw the image I thought maybe the space should be in front rather than at her back but I see now why you did that and it certainly works. Clearly my novice status showing through. :clap:

Passed your compliments to Em too! Thanks!

Very nice Phil, I like the way you framed her too,
you achieved what you set out to do IMO (y)

Thanks Chris!

Hi, Phil, Captive, bang on. Pushing her to the extreme right really adds to drama. The lighting is very dramatic as is the über black BG. Her face really does say, "HELP ME!!".

I always try to offer crit, and I zoomed in to find any issues.....none found (y)

Cheers.

Last edited:
What can is say WOW I can see the pleading in her eyes and her hands...A phenomenal shot.:clap:

Back