Photo editing

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Getting fed up with paying out for the rental on Adobe LR etc. what's the feeling regarding Affinity or Luminar.

I use Adobe elements 14 and premier elements14, they do as much as I need . There are newer versions now

Last edited:
Affinity is more like Photoshop, Luminar is more like Lightroom. Only Luminar implements asset management (e.g. tagging). Affinity also has an iPad app, and I wish Luminar did, too. Both are cheap compared to, say, ON1 Photo Raw, though the latter is more fully-featured. Affinity also implements pixel-based drawing with brushes, Luminar doesn't. Affinity Photo on the iPad outputs files that are compatible with Affinity Designer, and I expect that they'll be compatible with the new Affinity Publisher when that's released.

It's a good idea to check out the full feature list of each. They're both excellent but each is missing features the other has and has features the other doesn't. For example, in Luminar a vignette is a couple of clicks away, while in Affinity it takes a fair bit more effort.

Affinity is more like Photoshop, Luminar is more like Lightroom. Only Luminar implements asset management (e.g. tagging). Affinity also has an iPad app, and I wish Luminar did, too. Both are cheap compared to, say, ON1 Photo Raw, though the latter is more fully-featured. Affinity also implements pixel-based drawing with brushes, Luminar doesn't. Affinity Photo on the iPad outputs files that are compatible with Affinity Designer, and I expect that they'll be compatible with the new Affinity Publisher when that's released.

It's a good idea to check out the full feature list of each. They're both excellent but each is missing features the other has and has features the other doesn't. For example, in Luminar a vignette is a couple of clicks away, while in Affinity it takes a fair bit more effort.
I beg to differ.
To add a Vignette in Affinity (assuming you already have an image open)
Click "Layers" - 1 click
Click "New Live filter Layer" then select "Colors" then select "Vignette" and click. - 2 clicks
You are then in the Vignette adjustment mode.
A total of three clicks is hardly "a fair bit more effort."

EDIT:
My mistake.
You DON'T need to click "Layers" in order to open the drop down.
That makes it two clicks in Affinity.
You can always do the same in "Filters" if you don't want to add an adjustment layer, it's the same method.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the correction. I was looking in the wrong place.

Also, the iPad version does now have Vignette in the Filters section. At least, it's there in the latest version (1.7) which I've only just got. I don't remember it being there before.

Next time I'll run an update first.

I don't use an iPad, I have the full (Windows) version.

Thanks
I beg to differ.
To add a Vignette in Affinity (assuming you already have an image open)
Click "Layers" - 1 click
Click "New Live filter Layer" then select "Colors" then select "Vignette" and click. - 2 clicks
You are then in the Vignette adjustment mode.
A total of three clicks is hardly "a fair bit more effort."

EDIT:
My mistake.
You DON'T need to click "Layers" in order to open the drop down.
That makes it two clicks in Affinity.
You can always do the same in "Filters" if you don't want to add an adjustment layer, it's the same method.
Thanks

I have dl Affinity and had a look at it. How do you dl a image from say a CF card on to it Please ?.

I'm seriously toying with the idea of buying Capture One. I've been using the demo and it's light years ahead of Lightroom - much faster, friendlier and IMO much better. When tethering, the shot is almost immediately displayed on the screen where LR takes about ten minutes (well it seems like it at least).

It can do all of the things I do in LR and most of the things I do in PS. The only downside is the cost, but at least it's mine when I've bought it - I think Adobe's monthly payment strategy is a serious p**s take.

Try this card reader BTW - I have one and it's ideal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ANDA8GE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use LR 5.7 and Elements 15 on an iMac 27 with Mojave. It works fine. Just be aware Elements can some processing in 16-bit, but only does layers in 8-bit.

Affinity doesn't automatically import images from a media card or USB drive. When the reader containing the card is connected, you should be able to access it from the Finder and copy the image files to your hard disk manually, as you would any other files.

Affinity doesn't automatically import images from a media card or USB drive. When the reader containing the card is connected, you should be able to access it from the Finder and copy the image files to your hard disk manually, as you would any other files.

Thanks

That's a good thing - it shouldn't be left to the computer to decide where to store files.

Back