Photo editing

I started with Lightroom then went to Capture One I'm now back with Lightroom, I just like the whole process better.

Lightroom and Photoshop ( the adobe photography plan) mainly LR

I use Capture One and Affinity - neither is easier than the other as I use them for different parts of my workflow.

Lightroom and Affinity.
The easiest way to start is maybe to get Photoshop Elements and then watch some youtube tutorials, starting simple and gradually using new tools. Or sign up to an online course that gives you sample pictures and talks you through the process of using different tools to get particular improvements or changes.

I use Adobe Elements, it has all I need, I apply global corrections then selective enhancements using the lasso tool (with a feathered edge). Basically just like I used to in the darkroom with burn and dodge tools, can't be doing with all this layer stuff, but no problem with those who do.

I use ON1 Photo raw 2020. Used to have problems on my laptop with integrated GPU in the intel chip, but my I5 desktop and GTX570 gpu card works without missing a beat if a bit slow. Trying to upgrade the PC when the shortages are over.

Started with GIMP, then moved to Photoshop CS3, now use Lightroom 6.14

I still use Nikon Capture NX2 with Elements to do the stuff that Capture NX2 cannot do.
What is easiest? I don't know enough about all the programs that are out there but with Elements you can put it into Quick mode or Guided mode and it is extremely easy to learn and use. Once you have the basic idea you can then use it in Expert mode.

Your profile mentions Nikon. I generally use Capture NX-D, Nikon's own free package, for converting their raw files, image sorting, and basic adjustments:

Another very good free option for Nikon files is Capture One Express:

For anything that needs more work, I use either an old version of Photoshop (usually CS6), or Affinity Photo. Today, you can only get Photoshop as part of a Creative Cloud subscription. But Affinity Photo, excellent value even at full price, is currently half price (£23.99):

If you want something free for more complex editing, there's GIMP:

I used Lightroom for years but didn't like the subscription model. I now use DxO Photolab and Affinity. I find with Photolab I do far less processing than I did with Lightroom.

A mix of Affinity and Photoshop Elements.
I'm aware Affinity gives more functionality, yet I find some of its sliders a little 'coarse and aggressive'.
I used PS Elements from the start, currently on v13 and it meets much of my colour needs.
Affinity is spectacular for B&W.

Lightroom for DAM
Affinity for processing
Silver efex for b&w , free version

I'm a big Lightroom fan; I took to it like a duck to water after struggling with Photoshop for a couple of years, However I dislike the subscription model so haven't upgraded past v6.14. I'm always on the lookout for a replacement although whether i will ever jump ship to something more up-to-date I don't know.

I also use Topaz Denoise AI for sharpening and denoising - it definitely does a better job than LR.

I'm a big Lightroom fan; I took to it like a duck to water after struggling with Photoshop for a couple of years, However I dislike the subscription model so haven't upgraded past v6.14. I'm always on the lookout for a replacement although whether i will ever jump ship to something more up-to-date I don't know.

I also use Topaz Denoise AI for sharpening and denoising - it definitely does a better job than LR.

On1 RAW or DXO photolab seem good. I had C1 pro but when I changed to a 645z it wouldn't read the darned PEFs or DNGs. So it's DXO PL4 and honestly - not looked back. I had a trial of on1 RAW. Was really good but as I do everything in curves I didn't like you couldn't add it to the default list of tools like C1 Pro, DxO etc

Last edited:
I use Photoshop and Lightroom, the latter in the loosest sense of the word. My 8gb iMac throws a hissy at anything above basic slider-shoving in LR so it’s just to catalogue and have a quick look through pics after import. Anything interesting is sent to PS and edited there using camera raw for most tweaks. I really need to sort my computer situation out soon...

On1 RAW or DXO photolab seem good. I had C1 pro but when I changed to a 645z it wouldn't read the darned PEFs or DNGs. So it's DXO PL4 and honestly - not looked back. I had a trial of on1 RAW. Was really good but as I do everything in curves I didn't like you couldn't add it to the default list of tools like C1 Pro, DxO etc

I'd never say never........but being a bit of an old dog now I'm not that keen on new tricks. I read that the noise reduction is excellent though.

I use Lightroom, usually on my iPad now, and once in a blue moon Photoshop for very specific tasks. Started out using PS years ago and then moved to LR. If you’re going to make use of it fully, and sync everything up between your PC/Mac, phone and tablet the subscription is absolutely worth it

Used to use Photoshop but, frankly, I find it too pricey these days. I now use affinity and it does everything I want.

Lightroom and Photoshop. £10 per month so £60 per year per package. To me, it's less than a tank of fuel each and it's what I'm used to.

My OS is Linux. So I have the luxury of many good free programs, such as Darktable, Rawtherapee, Digikam, and Gimp.

your second question. "what is easiest" is difficult to answer. For a beginner most of them entail a very large learning curve. and it is something you just have to face up to.
I have both Photoshop + lightroom and the full Affinity suite.
Both are now massively complex and cover just about every thing you can think of. in the way of post processing.

I bough the Affinity to check it out, when it was on offer, and in the few years that I have had it, it has advanced by leaps and bounds. However it does not do the two things I need it for most. It has no Library like light room. Nor can it apply the inbuilt camera firmware adjustments for cameras and lenses when processing raw files... In fact its raw file functionality is still extremely basic and not at all adequate. (it applies none of the inbuilt adjustments for Fuji, or any other camera come to that)

Personally I would go for Photoshop + lightroom.

All the various other offerings like On1 RAW or DXO photolab and C1 have their strong points and sometime each take their turn to lead in some way or another. But the Market leader "Photoshop" always catches up in a few months, and offers the strongest offering of all, over time.

I would not be surprised if Affinity catches up in a few years. as they are the only one to scrap every thing, and start again with completely new code. designed to cope with the newest hardware and technology. unlike any of the others This has allowed them to have a fully integrated framework to incorporate everything into a single core code, covering all of their programs. so that you can switch anything between any of them absolutely seamlessly. Even the "photoshop" tribe of programs is clunky in this regard..

However the Total lack of a DAM ( library module) and the somewhat farcical, even risible. Raw processor massively limits the usefulness of Affinity for now. Nor is there any indication that they are working on either. ( but they might be, and certainly should be) were they to do so I would most certainly use it. and pension off Photoshop.

Though I would fully expect Affinity to Jump in price were they to complete their flush of programs. I suspect its present extremely low price, is an acknowledgement that it is , as of now, very incomplete.
Their raw processor can be considerd no more than a placeholder in their system code, till a real deal comes along. In the mean time we must use something else.

Last edited:
Back