Photo Restoration

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I was wondering if someone could help me with a little problem.

My wife has managed to get some of her contact lens solution between a photo and the glass in an old photo frame. I only noticed it when I was planning on swapping the frames.

I’ve managed to separate the glass and photo from the frame and scan the photo. I was wondering if someone could try some magic and restore the photo for me.

Knowing my limitations with photoshop, I thought I would ask if anyone here fancied helping me out. I have attached a lo-res version of the file here so you have a look at the damage. If you fancy taking a stab at it, drop me a reply and I'll send a hi-res version on.

Many Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• Claire lo-res.jpg
    Claire lo-res.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 101
Can you post a hi res version? Notice the file says lo-res, not a lot of point working on it if the work all has to be redone :)

What format would you guys prefer the file in? I was thinking of adding a link to a dropbox account if that works for you guys?

What format would you guys prefer the file in? I was thinking of adding a link to a dropbox account if that works for you guys?
The highest res, highest bit depth you can sensibly get from the original / scanner to be honest, ideally in a lossless format such as TIF. More information is alway better than less, but equally there's no point in going overboard.

Firstly thank you to everyone who has offered to help me.

I have rescanned to photo into 3 different versions, 600dpi, 120dpi and 2400dpi and saved them as a TIF file. I am in the process of uploading them to Dropbox and you can access the files from this dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ju2gsph8ion1obb/AABLRHBGrxurnoEauPVJrM7ja?dl=0

Once again thank you to everyone who has offered to help. My wife and her granny are very close and it's her 90th birthday this year and we would like to be able to give her a photo book to celebrate her birthday.

Thanks again

Chris

Just a quick question while you finish the upload :)

Are you looking for the central element of the picture to be restored, or the whole thing? By that I mean it looks like an element has been physically 'cut' and then replaced back (or folded in frame?); are you just looking at the 'cutout' part?

I've made a start, but perhaps you could draw over the parts of this low res pic in red that you absolutely want to keep, so I know which bits could be cropped out?

version 1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris.

I can see why you would want to save this image :)

To be honest I thought it was beyond my skill but had a go with the low res. The simplest way was to crop a bit as the people on the right (on screen) are nearly gone anyway.

Play.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the result you wre after. I am sure someone will have sorted the hi res out for you bu now.

Gaz

Hi Chris.

To be honest I thought it was beyond my skill but had a go with the low res. The simplest way was to crop a bit as the people on the right (on screen) are nearly gone anyway.

Play.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the result you wre after. I am sure someone will have sorted the hi res out for you bu now.

Gaz

I think you've edited my 'edit' rather than the original. If you want I can upload the full version of my edit for you to work on?

I think you've edited my 'edit' rather than the original.
Bloomin heck. Sorry for that. An honest mistake that will teach me to have my cup of tea and wake up before I play on the pc. You have tackled the hardest part I did the easy stuff.
Sorry again.

Re upload. Nope thats fine you carry on I did not think I was up to it in the first place but it went ok.

Gaz

Bloomin heck. Sorry for that. An honest mistake that will teach me to have my cup of tea and wake up before I play on the pc. You have tackled the hardest part I did the easy stuff.
Sorry again.

Re upload. Nope thats fine you carry on I did not think I was up to it in the first place but it went ok.

Gaz

Hey it's not a problem! More thinking 'tag' restoration :)

Okay - here goes for now.

version 3 small.jpg

Full size jpg (2Mb) here
Full size TIFF (175Mb) here

More than happy for someone else to pick up where I've left off.

Firstly thank you all so much for you help. I would also like to offer my apologies for not replying sooner, I work nightshift so the only opportunity I have to reply is after I wake up in the afternoons.

I tried a different perspective

Les

I like that change of perspective, i'd never considered that. I guess after looking at the same photo for so long you can only ever see how it was and not how it could be.

Many Thanks

Hi Chris.

Gaz

Hey Gaz, thank you for your time and effort, I agree with cropping out the right hand side of the photo, i guess where I get stuck is around the fixing up of the image and trying to colour balance the part that was stuck behind the glass and the exposed part.

Thanks again

Okay - here goes for now.

View attachment 101433

Full size jpg (2Mb) here
Full size TIFF (175Mb) here

More than happy for someone else to pick up where I've left off.

Furtim, you have done a far better job than I could have. My wife and her granny will be so pleased with the photo, thank you again for all your help, the photo looks amazing.

Thanks again to everyone for their effort

Chris

trying to colour balance the part that was stuck behind the glass and the exposed part.
Hi Chris. Thanks for getting back to everyone :)

Ps: I never even saw a difference in colour balance. :-(

Gaz

Hi Chris. Thanks for getting back to everyone :)

Ps: I never even saw a difference in colour balance. :-(

Gaz

Presumably the grey on the right versus the faded yellow on the left. I decided to leave that as it is an old photo after all, and would look out of place if restored too much perhaps. Plus it was hard :)

Back