Photobook deals

What kind of price Mark? I ordered one from DS Colour recently for a wedding and I was really impressed with it. It was 12x8 and cost around £100 for 20 odd pages.

Is there any good photobook deals going on just now. I usually make a photobook for myself each year and have always been sent deals by mail but havent seen anything in the past few months. Anyone see any good deals?

I do the same Mark and I always use Bobs Books. However I should point out that the books I have done usually only consist of 20-30 pages using their best glossy photographic paper in hardback lay flat form.

I’ve been very happy with the results over the last three years.

Thanks folks. As its only for myself i want to keep costs down, maybe around £60 or under. I used to get deals of 50% discount etc which made them worthwhile so will keep an eye out over the next few weeks as im in no hurry. Had a look at Bobs books and they look pretty good. Loxley are too expensive just for me to put in the cupboard. Lol.

One aspect of a photobook is the image quality. Another is the feel of the paper (and hence the book as a whole). Another might be the durability of the binding.

It's hard to see samples. and a bit expensive to experiment.

It seems that the lay-flat books all use photo paper stuck back to back - so despite the images being hi-res, aren't the pages a bit cardboardy, like a book for the under fives? I haven't seen one, but I imagine that barring abuse or accidents, the page hingeing is fairly durable.

I've done traditional Blurb, and the printing is good but not true photo-quality in terms of resolution, whilst the binding is glued not stitched, and who knows how long it lasts? A nice product, though. I think that they use a better glue than a cheap paperback. Their mid-range papers are the best bet (circa 150 gsm). Whitewall seem to be pushing a similar product?

I feel that I want a book to feel like a book as you turn the pages - the degree of flex in the paper is a tactile expectation.

To have stitched signatures (and so proven longevity) needs a big print run, and the printing won't be photo-print anyway.

So it's not just about price, but about balancing out all these factors.

I've just looked at their website. Would you care to review their book product(s) to inform the rest of us? (I mean a dispassionate review, not just a hymn to something that you've paid for.)

Last edited:
Hi
Just to confirm I have no affiliation with this company but I have researched photo books be it for weddings ,christening,birthdays etc and I have tried a few companies mix book ,loxely, fish snap to name a few I decided to stay with Nphoto mainly because of customer service product quality and price they brought me through the process to make it as simple as possible and a great back up service also delivery was excellant
Kind regards
B

Thanks for that, B. I signed up with them so that I could see their prices. Looks very professional. They're in Poland?

Generally, I realise that people have different expectations for photobooks, which is something of a blanket term. Some want padded white vinyl covers with gilt script for the wedding market. Others are just delighted to see their photos in book form any old how. But an incisive survey of what's available is oddly lacking, and I can't afford to run my own experiment.

So I think that it's probably going to be Blurb again for me ...

And for anyone wanting to do their own design with the utter precision and scope of a page layout program, there's a reasonable deal running right now on QuarkXpress 2018 if you can show them that you have a legitimate copy of a 'competitive product'. Such products include not just InDesign but Photoshop too.

QXP is solid, capable and quick. In recent years it lost market dominance to InDesign, but they haven't stood still. And it's NON-subscription. Latest versions have very good and customisable pdf export that an be tailored to different press requirements.

Oh, and Affinity Publisher is in free beta at the moment (and British!), and we might assume will be a budget price on first paid-for release. It promises to be a bargain, just like Affinity Photo.

Last edited:
I ended up doubg another Blurb photobook. I couldnt get me email login to work so used an old email and as a new user it was 35% off the 1st purchase so just over £53 for 40 pages on a hardback with image wrap cover. Lets hope its a little better than the last hardback i got from them.

Last edited:
Back