2017 Photographer of the Year - 2017 (Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
With all due respect for the people who have made it through the shortlist for the landscape section I appreciate these things are subjective, and you will want to be looking at aesthetically pleasing images that hold your attention and 'work' emotionally or as a storytelling device, but surely to be shortlisted the images should all achieve technical perfection?

I mean there are a lot of technically perfect images that didn't make the shortlist and without pointing out the specific failings there are a lot of technical errors, both in camera and post production with some of the images in the shortlist. I would have taken it as a given, that the images would need to be up to scratch, then judged on their content.

Here is my shortlist;

I also thought 30 was a good photograph, but should haver been in the portrait category primarily, not the landscapes.

Rant over :D
You only picked one of mine :(

LOL. I've had great hopes for that 16th image, I entered it to all the major competitions and got nowhere with it and I rate it as my best ever landscape. Perhaps just the joy of seeing that Loch Still did it

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No

LOL. I've had great hopes for that 16th image, I entered it to all the major competitions and got nowhere with it and I rate it as my best ever landscape. Perhaps just the joy of seeing that Loch Still did it
You take wonderful technical images but personally I think that they lack a bit of emotion. Think back to last years winner and it was full of raw power and volatility, I see you image 16 and think wow I wish I was there right now looking at that view and yeah I'd like that image for my collection but I couldn't see it winning any competitions unfortunately.

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
The wildlife list of entrants had 6 images all with a watermark added where a landscape image was removed for the same thing. The wildlife shortlist still has 2 images with a watermark in place which shouldnt have been shortlisted even though they are decent images.

Last edited:
Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes

Sorry!

I only picked one of mine too! To be fair the other Vestrahorn shot, apart from lacking a bit of breathing space on the RHS is better than mine.

I don't think reflections are popular. For me, a perfect reflection conveys such tranquility about a scene and literally doubles the beauty of nature by showing it to you twice. It also captures a unique moment, which for you is what that shot achieves. Same with my Thurne Mill one, I could go back a dozen times and not get that light with that quality of reflection.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry!

I only picked one of mine too! To be fair the other Vestrahorn shot, apart from lacking a bit of breathing space on the RHS is better than mine.

I don't think reflections are popular. For me, a perfect reflection conveys such tranquility about a scene and literally doubles the beauty of nature by showing it to you twice. It also captures a unique moment, which for you is what that shot achieves. Same with my Thurne Mill one, I could go back a dozen times and not get that light with that quality of reflection.
Agree. It’s a killer shot.

Plus there’s a beauty to symmetry. I was out today in the snow, no reflections going and I got good pictures but not the emotional high of seeing a perfect reflection in water.

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
So, to start us off

Landscape_sm2.jpg
The 3rd placed entry in the 2017 Landscape Photographer of the Year is

Some say the Hope cement works are an eyesore but many photographers love to capture scenes such as this and the inversion adds layers of depth, mystery and detail to what is a lovely shot at sunrise.
The mood and emotion shown in this shot makes me want to have been there that day, The recession of the clouds picking up some fantastic light is top draw.
A lovely, serene almost ethereal image. Great colours, composition, exposure and pretty sharp.
In many ways a classic view, layers, tones, details on 3rds and Man & Nature coming together for a great shot

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Pet_sm2.jpg
The 3rd placed entry in the 2017 Pet Photographer of the Year is

Entry 10
@chriscross

Whilst not the best entry from a technical perspective, this photograph captures the energy and fun of owning a pet. The sorry state of the ball coupled with the dog in mid flight will be a familiar sight to many people who have a dog as part of the family and has an enduring appeal that many will relate to.
A great fun action shot caught perfectly with all four legs off the ground. The camera settings were perfect to capture this type of shot and well handled.
Good choice of shutter, aperture and timing which leaves the subject sharp where it should be and hovering over the ground. A great action shot well captured.
This perfectly captures the fun of dog ownership and is technically a great capture even if the PP is a little vivid for some tastes

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Portrait_sm2.jpg
The 3rd placed entry in the 2017 Portrait Photographer of the Year is

Entry 43
@Seba

An unusal photograph that works well. The isolation of the subject really helps to make this stand out. I like the fact that you can see very little of the man behind the binoculars but the weathered hands, coat and hat tell a story of a man who has enjoyed many days outside, especially at the races.
A very quirky shot but incredibly interesting, ot wouldnt have worked is it was not bang on square to the camera looking straight in, the dof really helps what would have been a busy background full of faces which would also have been competing for attention so well done there.
Another image brilliantly spotted by the photographer. Excellent use of a wide aperture too. It virtually eliminates the potentially distracting foreground & background detail but is sharp exactly where it needs to be. Personally I think the image would have had half the impact it does had the subject not been wearing a hat. But even without the hat it would have been a beauty because of those binoculars.
Another closeup that perfectly tells us what this chap does for his job/sport and yet without really showing us any of his face, well seen & shot

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Sports_sm2.jpg
The 3rd placed entry in the 2017 Sports Photographer of the Year is

Entry 3
@Graphix501

Another motorsport capturing the energy and power of Formula 1 and this year's champion, Lewis Hamilton. Again, great panning technique and only lower down my ranking due to the inevitable clutter of the background.
The panning in this shot as with 2nd place is technically excellent. I am a little put off by the massive white blob at the top of the image as it draws my eye and this is why it placed lower for me, perhaps a little toning down would have helped there.
Perfectly executed panning. Having t ried this type of photographer myself I know that there are 100's of misses before you get a hit of this quality. Sharp where it needs to be, well exposed and the aperture and shutter choices are spot on.
Another shot trying to show speed & movement with a panning technique, its not as dynamic as the biker and the background is a little overly busy still

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Wildlife_sm2.jpg
The 3rd placed entry in the 2017 Wildlife Photographer of the Year is

Entry 30
@Will.B

The composition here works brilliantly and the boldness of the colours as well as the detail on the puffin and its catch make this a photograph that stands out in this category.
Again the quality of the image is excellent, as it should be with any nature shot now, having the fish in mouth makes it more interesting than another in flight shot.
Beautifully captured with an uncluttered background helping bring the bird to the fore. Sharp, well exposed and lifted further by the cargo in the beak
A classic shot of a much loved subject, again done extremely well

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Landscape_sm2.jpg
The Runner-Up in the 2017 Landscape Photographer of the Year is

Entry 28
@Dave Semmens

The textures in this photograph work so well as a black and white rendition. I am thinking that this is a blend of a long exposure for the glass like water contrasted against the detail and energy in the cascades. Either that or a perfectly still day. Regardless a great photograph.
The simplicity in this shot makes it very strong. Being an abstract the composition is everything. the processing it top draw also.
I love this simple, graphic style of image. To do it well takes a great eye and particular attention to the composition. In this case the B&W helps with the simplification but there's still so much going on. The contrast between the still and active water, the beautiful curve of the edge and my eye keeps getting drawn to the shadow in the water at the bottom LH corner. It looks like a spine to me. Good choice of shutter speed (long enough to indicate movement but not too long to blur it completely), well exposed and sharp.
What makes this shot for me is the simplicity of it, that great set of curves with stillness above and the motion of the cascade below. A beautiful example of a landscape where a detail is great than a vista

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Pet_sm2.jpg
The Runner-Up in the 2017 Pet Photographer of the Year is

Entry 2
@TheAndyA

The alertness of the dog in the photograph works so well in this setting and the lovely, simple processing and nice sharp detail to the dogs face make this a simple yet enchanting photograph
The eye contact and dof make thios shot together with the lovely tones, I also like the almost washed out colours in the background.
Good use of shallow DoF help the subject stand out of the busy fore & background. A lovely pose by the dog looking straight at the camera/viewer.
Lovely shot of the dog lookin like its doing what this breed was bred to do, shot with a shallow DoF which suits the image very well indeed

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Portrait_sm2.jpg
The Runner-Up in the 2017 Portrait Photographer of the Year is

Entry 23
@OneGlasEye

A lovely capture that really tells a story whilst being respectful to the man in the photograph. The writing on the wall adds real context and the composition and processing make for a very powerful photograph.
This shot seems to be very emotional but also interesting, such concentration in the man's expression.The composition is also very interesting with that massive graphic on the wall, quite risky but i think it works.
Very well spotted by the photographer. Beautifully composed. The image is lifted further by the colour the subjects outfit contrasting with the background colour to push them into the foreground. Nicely done.
Portraits can be bits of faces or a full figure in context to give us a glimpse into someone's life as here in this striking shot

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Sports_sm2.jpg
The Runner-Up in the 2017 Sports Photographer of the Year is

Entry 27
@Graphix501

A great action shot and lovely strong colours really capture the essence of speed and power. The crop is a little tight for me but still works well with the angle. Great detail down and clarity in the shot too showing a great panning technique.
The panning in this shot is technically excellent, I have an image not too dissimilar to this and I had 100's of failures too so know how difficult it is.With panning there are no distracting elements in the background plus the tog has avoided any harsh colours in the bg too, so well done.
As a biker I totally appreciate the skill and bravery required to do what Pedrosa is doing in this image. That's all well & good but irrelevant if the photo's not up to par. Luckily the photographer has nailed it in this one. Sharp where it needs to be, well exposed and the aggressive angle of the composition really lifts this shot. It also helps that it's a photo of a bike in bright Repsol livery!
While bikers like this are not that hard to shoot they are hard to shoot well and in an engaging way, this stands out for the acute angle adding interest together with a tighter than usual crop and enough background blur to make the subject stand out at its best; superbly done

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Wildlife_sm2.jpg
The Runner-Up in the 2017 Wildlife Photographer of the Year is

Entry 17
@pooley

It's unusual to get underwater shots and this photograph made a pleasant change. The eye and teeth give a real menacing look. The shark turning as if it is posing and mirrored by the cleaner fish makes for a striking photograph especially with the uncluttered background.
Very unusual as I don't see many underwater shots but the quality is excellent which seperates this from the pictures I have normally seen
As with most years the level of quality in the wildlife section is astonishing. This superb image is no exception. The shark is such an awesome creature. I think "sinister" is the word that sums the atmosphere in the shot. The subject is showing just the right amount of teeth to get me to want to back away from the photo. Even its little buddies look a bit menacing. Super sharp, well lit and a great composition.
A most unusual subject shot with great technique again, the connection through the shark's eye really makes this shot work

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Thanks to the organisers and judges for taking the time to set this up, I’m well chuffed to take 2nd and 3rd place in the sports category I’m thinking the race horse will take the win here and thoroughly deserved as it’s an epic image thanks again to everyone involved

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Thanks to the organisers and judges for taking the time to set this up, I’m well chuffed to take 2nd and 3rd place in the sports category I’m thinking the race horse will take the win here and thoroughly deserved as it’s an epic image thanks again to everyone involved
The race horse your right is seriously epic. Crops a little tight on the left. Has it ruined it for it? Will it beat you by a head..... Sorry it's late the family are all asleep I'm killing time before I can stick the presents out

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Landscape_sm2.jpg
Congratulations to the Winner of the 2017 Landscape Photographer of the Year

Entry 78
@Krimzn

There's something dark and foreboding about this shot but also a beauty in its limited colour palette and the lovely symmetry. The shapes, light and interest of the sand in the foreground make the picture complete. Great work.
I love simplicity and calmness shown in this shot. The colour tones make it and it has had some careful PP to bring out the detail. It has great emotion and mood.
A brilliantly balanced image. There's interest everywhere. The monochrome palette has little splashes of subdued colour here & there. The foreground leads your eye through the composition which finally rests on the little burst of light behind the mountains. It's sharp, well exposed with a wide DoF. A bit of a corker.
Everyone loves a mirror image landscape and its usually one of those shots where putting the horizon dead centre works. The challenge then is to shoot a mirror image and yet make it more interesting, which is exactly what's happened here with the inclusion of the foreground and the wonderful detail in it

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Pet_sm2.jpg
Congratulations to the Winner of the 2017 Pet Photographer of the Year

Entry 6
@Canon brook

This is a lovely emotional shot, linking the dog to its owner with the wellies at its side. The black and white conversion captures the beautiful textures of both the dog and its surroundings. A lovely photograph with lots of depth and interest.
The classic pose and composition with the boots drawn me to this image, together with excellent processing makes it a real winner
Nicely composed, lit and processed. A very pleasing image of a handsome dog waiting by its owners boots. Nice bit of product placement too...
A simple shot using props well too but where the lighting shows the dog's fur in wonderful detail

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Portrait_sm2.jpg
Congratulations to the Winner of the 2017 Portrait Photographer of the Year

This is a striking pose and the model's expression as well as the limited depth of field makes for a strong photograph. I do think the conversion to black and white has added to the phot although would have liked a little more contrast to make it even more striking!
The eyes are really grabbing attention in this shot, almost mesmorising in fact, The processing and sharpness are really top draw, very nice studio shot.
A very striking image. Perfectly lit, super sharp and the B&W processing really works. I'm guessing a ring flash was used somewhere and it's reflection in the subjects eyes gives it some extra punch. Brilliant.
A a portrait taker/lover I always like to see something more striking than a pretty female lit by a softbox, and this is defo a striking portrait from the excellent use of a ring-flash to the “what's he thinking' expression

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Sports_sm2.jpg
Congratulations to the Winner of the 2017 Sports Photographer of the Year

A different take on a climbing shot where the climber is well and truly placed in their surroundings, adding context and interest. The rock face looks foreboding and as he clings on by his fingertips you get a sense of the challenge he is undertaking. I do like the processing on the photograph as well - nice subtle tones and lovely detail.
I love the composition on this shot, the interesting angle makes it with the wide angle lens exaggerating the excitement in the feat being undertaken. It has been well processed, almost looks slightly HDR but it remains a realistic image none the less.
An interesting take on the sports theme. It combines the awe of the climbers skill with a pretty decent landscape. It's what set it apart for me. It also helps that it's beautifully composed, exposed and processed. Top job.
This is all about context & scale and is extremely well shot, if with a hint of danger for the camera operator too

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Wildlife_sm2.jpg
Congratulations to the Winner of the 2017 Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Often we these types of shots where the damselfly is resting on a leaf but to see one in flight that is nice and sharp, complemented by the lovely bokeh of the pond water in the background is an added bonus. A lovely shot that at first glance looks very simple but most likely took some capturing! Well done
As usual with wildlife shots the quality is top draw, the fact that the insect is in flight makes it just more difficult to capture something of this quality, the highlights are dictracting ion the background however, I personally would have brought those back a bit.
This is exceptional. I can't imagine how many misses the photographer had before they nailed this one. Sharp, well exposed and a good use of shallow DoF to diffuse the background but retain enough detail to keep it recognisable. Brilliant work.
A great example of where photographic skill and correct use of tools combines with luck to create something truly special, a well deserved winner

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Thanks so much to the judges at Talkphotography for choosing my images, very humbling and the perfect Christmas present. Congratulations to everyone that took part, some really fantastic images.

Status
Not open for further replies.