2015 Photographer of the Year : Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes

Welcome to the discussion thread for the 2015 POTY. The thread for this year's rules and themes is HERE.

REMEMBER:
  • A publicly displayed thread of entries will be created for each month as soon as possible after said month has closed. The thread will be locked so no comments will be possible. Comments may be made in the discussion thread but anyone identifying their entry will be disqualified for that month.
IMPORTANT: Please do not email entries for the January round until it is announced in this thread that you can do so. This is because the poty email address is currently routed to Darren for entries into the 2014 POTY​

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
I'll be first :D

Who are the judges please? Is it the Green gang or is it open to forum members? (sorry if I've missed this)

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll be first :D

Who are the judges please? Is it the Green gang or is it open to forum members? (sorry if I've missed this)
I'm hoping for the usual previous winners plus guests. I've only got one confirmed at the moment.

canon_togger

<span class="poty">POTY Winner 2010 & 2014</span>
Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
So same judging format as this year but entries will be available for members to view also?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
If I read the rules correctly, pics submitted in any round could be taken from... today? (But not submitted until the appropriate month, of course)

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
No objection.
Just thought you might have had a better reason than why not....I think it will just open up a can of worms....
Well, a better question than just "why?" might have helped.

The idea is to display the entries once the closing date is reached in order to showcase them rather than waiting until after the Judging. This way, people will be able to view them without any preconceptions.

What worms do you think will be released when the can is opened?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Fantastic set of themes there. :)

I kind of think we're lucky to have been given a POTY 2015 after the discontent shown this year and last, (justified or not).

Why not lets start 2015 with a clean slate, at the very least the showing of the entries asap after months close will provide topic for discussion further than "when will the results be published".

The rules is the rules, we can choose to either play by them, or not play at all.

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
That's much better thanks, far less convoluted and broader themes, I will be back for 2015

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
This is fantastic so looking forward to POTY 2015 but as asked above is it any pp on any round or are there restrictions? Think it important to have this clarified before we go too much further.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
What about PP.... are there any restrictions
Yes, I was rather afraid to ask this question. The lack of mention of PP suggests there are no restrictions, and it's up to us (and the judges), which makes a fair bit of sense when you realise that PP is often an intrinsic part of image making. A couple of times I've enjoyed doing a bit of focus stacking, so I'm hoping that composites like focus stacking and HDR are also OK; maybe even composite images, as we were able to do in the poster round last year...

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Absolute no PP rules, fill your boots, do what you want!! [ I just checked in the staff room :LOL: ]
Thanks for the update Yv.

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Also meant to ask for those of us who dabble in film can we mix or match or if you choose film do you have to stick to film or digital as the case may be?

Or

Will there be a separate competition for film running along side and if do can we enter both?

Sorry just wondering.

Last edited:

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Also meant to ask for those of us who dabble in film can we mix or match or if you choose film do you have to stick to film or digital as the case may be?

Or

Will there be a separate competition for film running along side and if do can we enter both?

Sorry wondering.
You will have to wait for @fabs to answer that I'm afraid, I think film might still be under discussion/decision making so not going to jump in until I know for sure. ;)

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
You will have to wait for @fabs to answer that I'm afraid, I think film might still be under discussion/decision making so not going to jump in until I know for sure. ;)
Just checked the rules again it says "Only one photo can be submitted per round per member" so that pretty much answers the "OR" bit of my question unless there is a POTY 15 Film.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Carol.

All entries will be judged together, regardless of whether hey are shot using film or digital. The film entries will then be ranked depending on where they were placed in the main competition and film points will be allocated accordingly. I believe this is how Darren has been doing it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm looking forward to submitting one or two entries over the next year. :)

Now this question will probably make mi look a bit stupid, but I'm thick skinned :p, so here goes.......

I'm unsure how to make the images I submit no more than 1600 pixels on the long side :confused:

Any help needs to be in an 'idiots guide form' please :D cheers

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I'm looking forward to submitting one or two entries over the next year. :)

Now this question will probably make mi look a bit stupid, but I'm thick skinned :p, so here goes.......

I'm unsure how to make the images I submit no more than 1600 pixels on the long side :confused:

Any help needs to be in an 'idiots guide form' please :D cheers
Not stupid at all Phil, I personally resize the images in lightroom, then export to my desktop before sending in by email but you would be able to resize in any pp software.
Which software do you use specifically?

Edit My Images
Yes

canon_togger

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
Several open months, no pp restrictions. Sounds like it could be very exciting, lets hope more members enter next year.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
My gut is there are too many open months. One gave people an opportunity to go all out with a showcase month, four is maybe a bit much imo. Dunno, just an intial reaction. But you can't please all of the people...

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
My gut is there are too many open months. One gave people an opportunity to go all out with a showcase month, four is maybe a bit much imo. Dunno, just an intial reaction. But you can't please all of the people...
I was a bit surprised, was expecting only one open month. Rest of the themes seem quite good.

canon_togger

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
With open months you can shoot what you like, play to your strength, maybe you'll shoot something good that wouldn't have normally fitted a theme.
It removes the previous restrictions so it's all good imo.

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Mucky Rims
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
Understand completely what you're saying Steven and it's something I thought long and hard about it but I wanted it to be as inclusive as possible. I remember from my camera club days where the competitions were alternate theme/open rounds and it was very popular as people felt it gave some breathing room between the themed rounds.

Anyway, we'll give it a try for 2015 and we can always change things for 2016, if you all haven't tarred & feathered me from the POTY section by then. :D

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I like the themes. I too was surprised to see as many open ones. Unrestricted pp puts me on the back foot a little as I feel I am near the bottom of a steep learning curve on that.

I for one am glad that there is a competition for 2015 as I've learnt a lot this year just from taking part. Thanks to all involved in the set up and running of POTY. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.