Photographers v Photographers

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I constantly notice how many times photos posted by any one photographer are constantly dragged down by other members. My guess it is because of jealousy or inaptitude by those who take great delight in picking faults where they don't exist.

Usually it is done by those who don't post their own efforts or very few because they can't accept criticism of their own work.

I have virtually stopped posting photos on here because I used to like showing what I photograph not what others think of them. Constructive criticism is ok, but too many nick pick just to make a comment.

It does seem to be different since I joined; just like society, I suppose. I have never posted images here; on our club forum we have two distinct threads for showing images: one for critique and one just to show. It seems to work for those that use it.

I constantly notice how many times photos posted by any one photographer are constantly dragged down by other members. My guess it is because of jealousy or inaptitude by those who take great delight in picking faults where they don't exist.

Usually it is done by those who don't post their own efforts or very few because they can't accept criticism of their own work.

I have virtually stopped posting photos on here because I used to like showing what I photograph not what others think of them. Constructive criticism is ok, but too many nick pick just to make a comment.

Maybe this is the wrong place to post things if all you are after is likes and to have your ego massaged? I always assumed that if people posted on a photography forum that they are looking for feedback from people that can look at it objectively and know what they are actually talking about. If you want people to tell you that your photos are wonderful, stick to Instagram and Facebook?

To be honest though, the vast majority of people that post on here are really not very good at taking constructive criticism. Most seem to assume that it is just a dig and make out like things are intentional, whereas if they actually listened to what they are being told they could improve.

If you're referring to a particular incident or particular posters then maybe you need to be more clear.

I've never thought what anyone has replied to me on here as nit picking when I've asked for critique, I've seen it as what I've asked for.

Personally I tend to only create a photo thread on here if I want crit and I find it a bit disappointing if I start a thread and the photo is so "meh" that no one even bothers to comment either way. I'm here to learn and improve; family, friends and fools social media, will tell me everything is good if that’s what I need.

About 55 years ago I realised that trying to analyse my opinion of a picture just leads to phony sounding twaddle. These days I'll tell someone (if they ask) whether I like a picture or not and leave it at that.

We ahve one in sports photos... I call him the sniper... just pops up now and then to have a go at others work (mostly rugby) and has never explained who he is what he does and has never posted a picture... if you ask him to explain a comment he doesn't.. his word is final...

Just makes you wonder what people like that get out of it :(

There was a time when the forums were more clearly marked - all EXCEPT photos for pleasure were specifically intended for critique. Of course some will still criticise, rather than trying to provide helpful comments as to what they believe should have been done differently, but generally they're the exception. And some people just keep posting photos with the same problems & flaws, never apparently listening or progressing, so that after a while their images don't get commented at all.

One thing I have found curious in the past is that when an image has been posted in the crit sections it gets nothing but adulation when there are clear and basic flaws. I'd much rather someone helped me to get better than to simply pat me on the back.

We ahve one in sports photos... I call him the sniper... just pops up now and then to have a go at others work (mostly rugby) and has never explained who he is what he does and has never posted a picture... if you ask him to explain a comment he doesn't.. his word is final...

Just makes you wonder what people like that get out of it :(

Il vos ecrit avec son main droit pendant qu'il pense avec son main gauche... (Excuse the poor French - it's been 40 years or so since I learned it!)

Only one thing worse than being criticised, being ignored?

We used to have this problem in the bird section ,thankfully the trouble makers went to far and were ejected en.masse been lovely for a while now

About 55 years ago I realised that trying to analyse my opinion of a picture just leads to phony sounding twaddle. These days I'll tell someone (if they ask) whether I like a picture or not and leave it at that.

I think sometimes like or not isn't maybe enough. I think it's possible to not like a photo but still admire the skill or vision the photographer had.

I had a hit and run on a couple of images I posted recently. Got told my photos weren't as sharp as other ones in the "birdy forum" ... it was in the Panasonic thread in the gear section :ROFLMAO: Can only assume that random guy, who I don't remember coming across on here before, saw the thread pop up on the main feed at the time and thought he'd add his expertise - had a look through his posts and most of them seemed to be just that, comments on other people's images but hadn't posted any himself. Didn't bother me, as he was actually right they could have been sharper - luckily for me I'd already stated they were merely test shots, Lord forbid I'd post anything less than Nat Geo worthy in a gear thread

I've seen very few posts that are destructive at all. Yes there are quite a few that 'nit pick' but that's what helps photographers to improve!
The best critique will include positives as well as negatives, which is frequently missing on-line, and it must be remembered that comments are only a matter of opinion...

Online critique can be both cruel and banal. much in the way most social media is.
It is the age of twitter, where opinions are rarely backed up, or hold much weight.
If you put up an image for critique it will almost certainly attract as many ignorant comments as informed ones.
For a beginner that can be a serious problem, as they are unlikely be able to distinguish one from the other.

However an attempt at expressing an opinion is better than a simple like, which always unhelpful.
even if it give the Ego a gentle stroke.

Even the worst photograph contains data that can inform.
The best will enlighten.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the wrong place to post things if all you are after is likes and to have your ego massaged? I always assumed that if people posted on a photography forum that they are looking for feedback from people that can look at it objectively and know what they are actually talking about. If you want people to tell you that your photos are wonderful, stick to Instagram and Facebook?
Are those the only two options? I must either be after likes or be after criticism? Actually, there is a third option and that is sharing. I like to see what others are producing and I am very unlikely to pass any sort of judgement, even if asked for.

Back