Photographing A Kiddies Football Game

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I'm after some sound advice - i've been asked by my nephew, to photograph his lad's football team's last game of the season.

I'm ok with the end bit with the trophies etc as I have my 24-70 f/2.8l mkII which will be fine.

BUT, he's asked me to get lots of action shots, the lads taking shots and trying to catch them mid shot, keeper's diving, lads running action, and i'm terrified that i'll mess it up.

I have the loan of a Canon 70-200 f/2.8l mkII to use, so, any help please on settings, panning skills if needed, any advice at all would be brilliant

Thanks in advance

I'd suggest a pm to Tony (kipax) as he does it for a living.
Matt

different advice depending on age group.. different approach to 7 yr old. 12 yr olds or 16 yr olds... you dont say what age these boys are..

lets presume small ?

Its like any other photogrpahy.. your probably not going to do a great job first time.. its something you learn to do..

TIPS
As with any other childrens photography...go low.. on floor or a stool but as low as you can.

its fast moving sport so get as much shutter speed as you can and ignore any idiot that tells you 500 s/s is the way to go... if you ahve to up iso then do so... i noisy pic can be fixed.. a blurred pic cant...

if this is daytime and you ahve good light then go for f4 giving you more chance of two players together (tacles etc) in focus

if your just shooting one team mainly then sit in line wiht the 18 yd box.. at this level when a player scores a goal they turn to go back towards center or managers and celebrate.. not behind goals lie pros... the celebration shots will be the most important.. most goals are just boy kicks ball... also that position gives good shots for corners and atatcks.

set camera to ai servo and one center point focus point...

sit at same side as parents.. if you are oppisite and the kids are small you end up chopping the parents heads off when editing the pics and doesnt look good..

cant think of much else off top of my head :)

PS just realised.. its a parent thats asked... get both managers permission BEFORE the day and also speak to the ref on the day... thats just good manners and the right way to do it.. its not a rule or a law but generally never turn up to a kids game without both mangers knowing in advance :)

www.kipax.com/juniors <<< som eof mine :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the in-depth advice Tony. Very much appreciated indeed.

I'm hoping the light will be fine. It's a 1.00pm kid off so should be ok. Just hoping the rain holds off.

The kids are actually 10/11 year olds.

One thing with AI Servo - please forgive me for my naivety but I read somewhere that one of the settings for taking action shots contiously looks for and focuses on the subject in the centre point focus - is this the AI Servo setting?

Very good shout about getting permissions. It had crossed my mind initially but presumed all would be ok as my nephew is the manager of one of the teams, BUT, you are right and i'll check all are happy beforehand.

Again, thanks for your help

Never mind the opposition, has all the parents of the team whose manager is asking given permission for photos of their kids?

Never mind the opposition, has all the parents of the team whose manager is asking given permission for photos of their kids?

hence ask the managers.. they will know.. you don't need to ask all the parents of either team...

Last edited:
One thing with AI Servo - please forgive me for my naivety but I read somewhere that one of the settings for taking action shots contiously looks for and focuses on the subject in the centre point focus - is this the AI Servo setting?

I ahve always set one focus point and never used anythign else.. ai focus links to this... all cameras have different settings but should be right.. i did say i mt post to use ai focus and the one center focus point :)

hence ask the managers.. they will know.. you don't need to ask all the parents of either team...

I didn't mean the photographer asking the parents themselves, but I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Equally though, there are manager who goes "sure" without having actually asked parents themselves so be clear.

I didn't mean the photographer asking the parents themselves, but I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Equally though, there are manager who goes "sure" without having actually asked parents themselves so be clear.

haa right... Well they will presumably have all signed up for photos at the start of the season or when they joined.. i find most teams do that... basically you dont want to know who has given premission.. all you need to know is anyone who cant be photogrpahed and the manager should be aware of anyone anyway. remember the permission to photo doesnt actually mean anything.. in fact pretty useless IMHO as you can just take it they are unless otherwise told..

Going slightly off track, if it's in the local park do you actually "need" permission? I understand if it's on school premises a teacher etc could ask you to not photograph the children, but in a park?
Again, I am fully aware that in a local park any of the parents might come over all protective and give you a hard time, just wondered about the "legal" position in a public place with minors.
Matt
Ps nice post Tony, really helpful.

Going slightly off track, if it's in the local park do you actually "need" permission? I understand if it's on school premises a teacher etc could ask you to not photograph the children, but in a park?
Again, I am fully aware that in a local park any of the parents might come over all protective and give you a hard time, just wondered about the "legal" position in a public place with minors.
Matt
Ps nice post Tony, really helpful.

You dont need permission anywhere.. the school system is really a means of covering there own back.. it isn't law.. but as they are in charge of who does what they can say yes or no to you photogrpahing.... so its more a school policy and other organisations do the same..

Your correct on public land you dont need permission to photogrpah anyone of any age..

however as i said you dont need to ask parents.. just the managers.. you dont need to know who can be photogrpahed.. just who cant and the manager will know... ...You dont have to aks them... you just should..

Someone posted on these forums many years ago that stuck with me... theres no law in this land that says you have to que.. bus stop, post office anwywhere... you can legally just walk to the front of the que... well its the same shooting kids football.. just need to do whats right not whats legal :)

Thanks all for your input. Don't worry, i'll check with all that need checking with, to make sure they are happy with me photographing. Like I said, my nephew has taken pictures of the team (mainly his lad) in the past, so i'm sure there will be no issues

I ahve always set one focus point and never used anythign else.. ai focus links to this... all cameras have different settings but should be right.. i did say i mt post to use ai focus and the one center focus point :)

Cheers Tony, that's what I needed to know. I am still learning but did come across those settings back in the summer and managed to nail a few half decent shots of dogs running BUT there were a lot more deleters than keepers

thumb_LOS.023_1024.jpg thumb_LOS.038_1024.jpg

@KIPAX - was going to message you with a link to my dropbox account so I could share my efforts with you, but could not see how to - let me know if you want to have a look and how to get the link over

Cheers mate

anything at kipax.com gets to me by email :)

Just emailed you - hopefully you can see my images

Been having a look... seems you ahd the perfect lighting.. the colours are good the exposure seems bob on and you seem to ahve cropped thm all nicely..... But you spoilt them all IMHO by not going low :( Beliee me the difference would ahve been massive..

Thanks very much for the feedback. It's very much appreciated and means a lot.

I was amazed at how well they cropped as in some, the subjects were a fair way away.

I'll try my hardest next time to get low. That was the one thing I forgot about as I was anxious about getting the rest right.

Thanks again Tony

Had a look at your shots Tony and you are so right about getting low. I need to try this next time.

Do you just take some sort of fold up low chair?

Any recommendations please?

Last edited:
Cheers Tony - that looks spot on. Just ordered one

Back