Photographing a mantis, information please.

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been given a dead leaf mantis, I want to get some shots of him/her but I really want some advice first. Should I use flash given that their eyes are apprently very sensitive?

T.I.A.

I have been given a dead leaf mantis, I want to get some shots of him/her but I really want some advice first. Should I use flash given that their eyes are apprently very sensitive?

T.I.A.
I don't quite understand, what do you mean by the insects eye sensitivity? It is dead after all. I use flash on virtually all my macro shots.

I don't quite understand, what do you mean by the insects eye sensitivity? It is dead after all. I use flash on virtually all my macro shots.
I think it is a dead leaf mimic not a dead I insect

I have several mantises, a large female dead leaf being one, I use low power diffused flash, and they appear to pay no attention to it, carrying on grooming or eating, I limit it to 3 or 4 shots though, I take test shots to get the exposure right, before I see if they will come out and pose....usually they are fine, occasionally they won't, thats why having several is great....one will always want to come out....easy to look after, short lived, which means you can own several different types.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?posts/8805319 recent post of my dead leaf female

Last edited:
Ah, I see! Just demonstrates what I know about the mantis. Thanks Alf.

LOL!! that did make laugh when I read it, it's far from dead and very intriguing to watch. When you look at one you cannot help but see umpteen Star wars character traits.

I have several mantises, a large female dead leaf being one, I use low power diffused flash, and they appear to pay no attention to it, carrying on grooming or eating, I limit it to 3 or 4 shots though, I take test shots to get the exposure right, before I see if they will come out and pose....usually they are fine, occasionally they won't, thats why having several is great....one will always want to come out....easy to look after, short lived, which means you can own several different types.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?posts/8805319 recent post of my dead leaf female

Thanks for this, appreciate it.

Back