London Photographing Isle of Dogs and the Docklands

Adg

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi there

Wondered if any seasoned architectural photographers or anyone whos been there could advise the best places to visit in this area. I plan to visit soon as long as the good weather holds up, and capture the likes of Canary Warf, Canada Square and the Docklands nearby with the Cranes. The area seems to have some very good sites but for some reason seems to be overlooked when it comes to architecture photography.
What would the best order of where to visit. It appears to be quite a large area in its own right with some good skyline photography potential taken from a distance.
thanks

Last edited:
The main reason for that is that the private security guards (who dress far too much like police officers for my liking) are an utter nightmare.

Damn is that true. Whats with the tight security, is that in the general area or just within the Financial district? Strange considering the London Bridge area there doesnt seem to be any which is compariable area.

If you're doing architecture shots, you probably don't want to be where the security guards are thick on the ground, i.e. around Canada Square. They are scarcer further out, where you can get a good view of the buildings. On the rare occasions I go over there, I start from Island Gardens or Mudchute DLR stations and work my way northwards, getting most of my shots well before I'm in the Canary Wharf area, and then switch to street shots, since by then the tall buildings are too close.

I live close by and therefore have walked around Canary Wharf and the surrounding area with a camera in hand a numerous times, including Reuters Plaza and the tube station. As above, watch out for the guards, they're shout-happy at anyone who looks like they're not a suit.

With that said, is there anything worth photographing? Not massively so, but I haven't got the eye of architectural stuff

Last edited:
Was hoping to get the classic skyline shot., also the station seems to be of some interested. The docklands also appears interesting but it does seem a bit sparse in areas through a search online.

For the classic skyline you probably want to be over the river, either in Greenwich Park (by the observatory for the classic shot or there's another spot to the east) or over by the O2.
If you're right in the middle then you need a wide angle to really get it in and it also puts you into the territory of the security guards, so no tripods.
If you have the time you can take the DLR to Mudchute station, then get off and walk up Millwall Dock.
This is from the south end of Millwall Dock.:
Over the docks by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

Gradually you get closer to Canary Wharf and the buildings get big/
Among Giants by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

You can also get a skyline/river shot from near the O2/Dome:
Docklands at nightfall by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

The Docklands is pretty much all psuedo-public space (ie privately owned), so you have that issue to deal with, plus it's really busy during the week. You might be better off at the weekend when it's practically dead, but you might have more of an issue with bored security guards.

I don't know when you're planning to visit, but this weekend it'll be crazy busy with the London Marathon going through and the whole of the DLR is suspended due to strike action till Tuesday. (There's only Jubilee line tube to Canary Wharf).

The DLR strike is now off.
I know that now.
Usually the DLR is the most reliable bit of the whole network.
In fact there's a shot to be had from one of the DLR stations, I think East India using the A1261 as a leading line into the Docklands skyline.

Something I just found ... https://group.canarywharf.com/media/film-photography-permits/

Specifically under the FAQ - first question...
DO I REQUIRE PERMISSION?
You will require a permit for filming or photography on the Canary Wharf Estate if:
  • The filming and photography is for professional use, sale, commercial gain or media reproduction; and/or
  • you will potentially cause disruption or harm to people or property on the Canary Wharf Estate; and/or
  • you are filming/photographing indoors in any of the common areas in the buildings (eg lobbies or shopping malls); and/or
  • you are filming/photographing building entrances, shop fronts or any of the security arrangements in place.
You do not necessarily require a permit if:
  • You are taking the images for solely amateur purposes and do not intend to reproduce them for media, sale or commercial benefit (for example you are a tourist, hobbyist or student); and
  • your equipment is minimal (for example, nothing more than a camera and stationary tripod); and
  • you are not causing any disruption, harm or potential harm to people, property or yourself; and
  • you are outdoors; and
  • you are not filming or photographing any building entrances or security arrangements.
Students are advised to carry with them a student ID and letter of introduction from their educational institution.
Obviously none of that overrides peoples experiences, but maybe worth printing out a copy of that page and FAQ if you want to "challenge" any over zealous security guard.

I was there 2 weekends ago, at 3am (there is a reason for this) and the security detail are a nightmare at Canary Wharf, Canada Square and the Docklands the latter less so, at every opportunity we stopped to take a photos we asked to move on, no tripods, no resting camera on floor or benches or any stable surfaces, hand held only point down not allowed to shoot upwards. We were shadowed by the security everywhere, always 6 foot behind literally. Every time we stopped, a raised voice would say move on please, hounded is the correct word. At one point we were confronted by 7 security individuals, one doing the talking the other 6 as back up, this was 1/2 way through our time at the site after already speaking to 3 sets of 2 security guards.

Crossing roads between sectors they radio'd ahead, where by we were met by other security personnel on the other side of the road who then shadowed us again. Answered the same questions, over and over again, who we were, what we doing, who or what we were photographing etc. At all times we remained polite and civil, complied with requests and didn't give any attitude, then ultimately they played the terrorism card and said they considered us a potential threat and asked us to leave. With myself included 3 of us, me being the youngest by 15 years at 40. I have never felt so special.

We moved on the Docklands area, and its was much more relaxed. Security met us and warmly said, "Morning chaps, (was around 5am) so you guys we have heard all about, on the radios, have you managed to get any nice pictures?" take that how you will, we discussed the posturing of the other security staff and they agreed with acknowledgement that they can be a little militant in their approach, and then wished us well and left us too it. Got a few shots, but everything was rushed. I appreciate its private property, thats cool. We remained polite and civil. Just a shame, that with the massesss of CCTV coverage they felt compelled to shadow and harass us at every available opportunity.

Here are a couple of shots taken.

Warp Speed & The Bird Police
by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

We Play The Game by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

More here > Last 6 images are from this year https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-moore/albums/72157682384553155

- Edit reduced size of images, they came out bigger than i expected.

Regards
Geoff

Last edited:
With that attitude it's best I don't visit.

I'd have found it difficult to my tongue in check.

Bloody jobsworths.

Following yes to ensure you were not a threat but to not allow a tripod to be used is crazy.

Or did they think it may have been a mortar tube?

Nice shots.
Boring fact of the day - in the first short, the building under construction is a project I worked on the design of a couple of years back.

@GreenNinja67 the problem is, its private property and as the estate has friends in high places, they have a court order to seize possessions, on-demand if you don't comply with their requests. - So it wasn't worth arguing. As in my opinion they are looking for any excuse to exercise that right

Last edited:
They have numerous signs posted around the estate. I didn't take a photo im afraid.
Google though > https://group.canarywharf.com/wp-co...nary-wharf-high-court-injunction-23022018.pdf - which I think is basis for the court order which is now in effect for all peoples on the estate.

I hope I'm wrong.
Not sure what the signs say, but I assume the injunction is in response to https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...ping-across-london-train-tracks-a3463906.html and http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...from-driverless-train-at-londons-canary-wharf

I do enjoy photography in that area but echo thoughts on the security setup. Ultimately I suppose it’s private property and they are well within their rights to tell you to do one.

Best case I had was when two guards were threatening me with calling the police (which I invited them to do) a long and heated discussion took place over where their private property ended and the public road started. Eventually I stepped two inches away into the public road and shot away much to their threats and distate but there was sod all they could do!

My fave image

Canary Wharf by Mark, on Flickr

Last edited:
Given it says “ you do not necessarily require a permit” if photos are only for personal use has anyone actually asked for one for private use? If so was it granted? I only ask as if they will grant a permit it would presumably give security very little to challenge - particularly late night/early morning.

Given it says “ you do not necessarily require a permit” if photos are only for personal use has anyone actually asked for one for private use? If so was it granted? I only ask as if they will grant a permit it would presumably give security very little to challenge - particularly late night/early morning.

Been there a couple of times (TP meets) and on both occasions (despite them being non-commercial shoots), we got permits anyway. Still got stopped on a couple of occasions but it was still a lot less hassle to just show the permits.

As a rough guide, if you want to see where the private areas around Canary Wharf are, take a look at Google maps "Street View."
There's a large area where "Street View" is not available, which I presume is where the private estate is.

I was there 2 weekends ago, at 3am (there is a reason for this) and the security detail are a nightmare at Canary Wharf, Canada Square and the Docklands the latter less so, at every opportunity we stopped to take a photos we asked to move on, no tripods, no resting camera on floor or benches or any stable surfaces, hand held only point down not allowed to shoot upwards. We were shadowed by the security everywhere, always 6 foot behind literally. Every time we stopped, a raised voice would say move on please, hounded is the correct word. At one point we were confronted by 7 security individuals, one doing the talking the other 6 as back up, this was 1/2 way through our time at the site after already speaking to 3 sets of 2 security guards.

Crossing roads between sectors they radio'd ahead, where by we were met by other security personnel on the other side of the road who then shadowed us again. Answered the same questions, over and over again, who we were, what we doing, who or what we were photographing etc. At all times we remained polite and civil, complied with requests and didn't give any attitude, then ultimately they played the terrorism card and said they considered us a potential threat and asked us to leave. With myself included 3 of us, me being the youngest by 15 years at 40. I have never felt so special.

We moved on the Docklands area, and its was much more relaxed. Security met us and warmly said, "Morning chaps, (was around 5am) so you guys we have heard all about, on the radios, have you managed to get any nice pictures?" take that how you will, we discussed the posturing of the other security staff and they agreed with acknowledgement that they can be a little militant in their approach, and then wished us well and left us too it. Got a few shots, but everything was rushed. I appreciate its private property, thats cool. We remained polite and civil. Just a shame, that with the massesss of CCTV coverage they felt compelled to shadow and harass us at every available opportunity.

Here are a couple of shots taken.

Warp Speed & The Bird Police
by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

We Play The Game by Geoff Moore, on Flickr

More here > Last 6 images are from this year https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff-moore/albums/72157682384553155

- Edit reduced size of images, they came out bigger than i expected.

Regards
Geoff

Is this the one canada square tunnel?

I have been stopped 3 times by the guards while taking this pic

Attachments

• 32235413_10160455013885370_5492277820186951680_o.jpg
    32235413_10160455013885370_5492277820186951680_o.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 30
With that attitude it's best I don't visit.

I'd have found it difficult to my tongue in check.

Bloody jobsworths.

Following yes to ensure you were not a threat but to not allow a tripod to be used is crazy.

Or did they think it may have been a mortar tube?

Ahahaha bunch of idiots. They are looking for terrorism in my tripod

What a shame it sounds like a lot of Hassle to photo the area. SOunds as if it may be better to capture the skyline of the area from where the O2 is located. Have always fancied visiting The Docklands but that too sounds difficult. The London Bridge area I understand is a good alternative, are there any others recommended instead.

5D3_2062_1500-2 by David Williams, on Flickr

This is across the river from CW, just walk down some rather rickety slippery steps and your there, right next to the Double Tree Hilton (ferry across from Canary Wharf)

Have to go there at very low tide :)

D

5D3_2062_1500-2 by David Williams, on Flickr

This is across the river from CW, just walk down some rather rickety slippery steps and your there, right next to the Double Tree Hilton (ferry across from Canary Wharf)

Have to go there at very low tide :)

D
Those steps are pretty precarious during the day - take extreme care at night!

Tide times and heights (for London Bridge) are published here.

I used to work at 191 marsh wall across from Canary wharf. There are good shots to be had around Millwall docks and around that area

Canary Wharf
14445232219_e8c6187196_b.jpg

Also Canary Wharf
14608852076_2071a3a2a4_b.jpg

Back