Photographing newts

Name
Larry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a small pond in the back garden that’s full of common newts and I want to get some close up photos of them. I can catch them easily enough but want ideas of a good way to get pictures without them scuttling off, so presumably they’d need to be in a container of some sort?

Your ideas or examples please. :)

Search Google for Niall Benvie. Pro nature tog who uses various kit and techniques for the sort of shots you want, effectively he makes a outdoor studio.

A small fish tank submerged in your pond, with the top above the waterline.

Get the camera up very close/touching the tank. I would use something like a decent go-pro...

Hi Larry, I did a personal project a good few years ago with newts. Much like Niall, I set up a field studio, but in black. The only thing that I feel important to point out is that under no circumstances should you place any amphibians in fresh, chlorinated tap water - they have sensitive skin and this will cause serious stress/damage. The best thing to do is to use the same body of water where the subject is found. This will have the same parameters that it's used to. Also, if working with a small tank, make sure that you watch the temperature, especially under strong sunlight, as it will heat up quite quickly. Handle these delicate creatures with care and good luck!

newt.jpg

Wow Des, superb shots! I'll be happy if I can achieve half the quality of those.

Agreed clever !!

Larry I keep phibs,,could I ask a couple of things of you please,use disposable gloves when handling,,use water from pond and when finished return water to pond.

Mate this is because there is are some really nasty diseases out there one called chytrid effects newts. Larry not in anyway am I saying don't play newt image making:)..I .just want you to know about these diseases.

These are grave times for amphibia........................,tis quoted as biggest global extinction since dinosaurs, a third yup 33% of all species on our planet gone last 30years or so . Larry if you know you can play and play safe with out doing unintentional damage. (y),

All the luck,I'm off to watch the videos... It .always amazes me the ingenutiy of wildlife togs:D

take care

atu

Agreed clever !!

Larry I keep phibs,,could I ask a couple of things of you please,use disposable gloves when handling,,use water from pond and when finished return water to pond.

Mate this is because there is are some really nasty diseases out there one called chytrid effects newts. Larry not in anyway am I saying don't play newt image making:)..I .just want you to know about these diseases.

These are grave times for amphibia........................,tis quoted as biggest global extinction since dinosaurs, a third yup 33% of all species on our planet gone last 30years or so . Larry if you know you can play and play safe with out doing unintentional damage. (y),

All the luck,I'm off to watch the videos... It .always amazes me the ingenutiy of wildlife togs:D

take care

atu
Thanks Stuart I didn’t know about the death rate, that’s pretty shocking. Ours seem to be doing very well, it’s only a relatively small pond, probably 5 x 3 and 2 foot deep but there are dozens of newts in there, actually the most I’ve ever seen. That might be down to the fact I’ve turned the pond pump and filter off this year and the water is more weedy. We get the odd frog too but have never had any frogspawn that I’ve seen.

I would certainly only use the pond water to take the pics. I’ve handled the newts with bare hands before (our 2yo grandson is fascinated by them so we fish one out occasionally for him to look at) but I’ll take your advice on gloves. ;)

call me stu bro everyone does.:D

Larry the global extinction is shocking.!! Because of their sensitive skins,(they are a semi permeable membrane) amphibians are known as a barometer species for an ecosystem. that basically means if your phibs are dying off them something is very wrong The phiibs are the first to go becuase they are so sensitive . Essentially and very sadly we are being told and have been being told for decades by mum nature we are screwing up our planet. Massive warning signs one out of three species gone in so little time

It's a bit ironic our way of life has just been thrown a curve ball by a virus,whiich sadly and very regretably will take a very tiny percentage off us. Yet a third of phibs extinct and many ...so many just are not aware it's not barely talked on Larry i'm not surprised you don't know.

Buddy keep you little granson in the loop:cool: make him adore what mum nature gave us,he is their and our hope Have a read on Bd Chytrid and also RV Ranavirus

take care mate and as above have fun all brit kids should play with newts:LOL:,we just need to be bloody careful now so they are still there for the next gen of brit kids to play with and wonder at:)

Well I managed to get a few reasonable shots today, but it’s a lot harder than Niall makes it look.
kYS6gTV.jpg

well done Larry. Buddy I owe you an apology,a little thing I missed you really should know....just in case...............

. Our great crested newt, GCN is much bigger and much darker than your smooth is highly protected in law . You can't even hold them. Just a little note mate. We used to have them close by here, you'll know if you are lucky enough to find one,take piccies but don't disturb don't catch don't touch . Beautiful creatures and stunning size wise when you know smooth and palmate. But yeah best keep you the right side of the law just in case you don't know:).

TBF I thought this might be tricky I guess you will develop techniques with time, good start though bro;)

take care

stu

well done Larry. Buddy I owe you an apology,a little thing I missed you really should know....just in case...............

. Our great crested newt, GCN is much bigger and much darker than your smooth is highly protected in law . You can't even hold them. Just a little note mate. We used to have them close by here, you'll know if you are lucky enough to find one,take piccies but don't disturb don't catch don't touch . Beautiful creatures and stunning size wise when you know smooth and palmate. But yeah best keep you the right side of the law just in case you don't know:).

TBF I thought this might be tricky I guess you will develop techniques with time, good start though bro;)

take care

stu
Cheers Stu. I’ve never seen a Great Crested in the flesh but I did know they were protected, and BIG :).

I learnt a lot from yesterday. Firstly I should’ve made my own glass tank as per Niall’s tutorial, instead of the plastic effort I got from Amazon. This turned out to have a faint orange tint to it, which I could sort out by adjusting white balance but it also has rounded corners which distort the camera viewpoint. Then of course there was no way of confining the beast to just the front of the tank, so the lighting was just down to pot luck. I had to do lots of editing in post to get even a few half decent shots. Lastly, I used the pond water as you advised but I really should have strained it through some fine mesh as I had to spend ages cloning out all the little floating bits from the shots.

On the plus side I found plenty of newts in the pond, including lots of pregnant females. Also several dragon fly larvae and lots of water boatmen and pond skaters so it seems to be a very healthy environment.

I have a small pond close by it's terribly neglected,needs sorting out,it's where the GCN's breed. My lockdown seems busier than working 60hour weeks,but I might dig at that pond a bit. . Bud I'm glad you know they are protected, it just bugged me I hadn't told you ,still does. if I'm honest.

Larry if we always put subject first then we won't go far wrong as wildlife togs ,their skin is a semipermeable membrane osmosis takes place. best change their water in the aquatic phase of their life cycle with care huh,. ;) So i'll stand by that bit,but yes sorry for the editiing it caused........ my bad mate, meh it's for the right reasons nab some muslin I think that will be fine enough wash a load through it put it in food grade water bottles stuff back in pond do before toggin but probably not days before then use when you shoot

Tis your first attempt the above is a cracking job,this game( making images of wildlife) is about learning,I wouldn't expect any of us to really make the image we might aspire to of any subject first time out....bar blinding luck mate ,it does happen.

Buddy I keep a room of frogs:oops: :$ I make my own vivaria . Make a tank, for toggin rather than buy .......... you might just benefit from optiwhite (low iron) glass up front might be a bit more neutral colour wise ie without the green tinge of more usual glass. simply I prefer looking at our froggies through that ,so there might be a knock on as an image maker Use phib friendly silicone if it's got mold inhibitors it will KILL THEM. The best stuff is made by soudal it's called AQ,let me check a tube for details mate if you go this route I've been at it like a sod these last days. I'm shattered now In the world of pre C19 work with silicone as a profession I know a tiny bit about using this. That suodal tack has fantastic grab. it is utterly safe for phibs some of ours must have been living here nearly 10years now in vivs made with it. But I repeat say the words and I'll make sure you have exactly the right stuff,no error room here!!

Larry I mainly know palmate do smooth use an aquatic plant called elodea to wrap eggs in. it might be tricky to capture but it's something I used to love watching as a lad if I had your chance now I might be digging at that,lol once i'd worked stuff out that is:LOL:

stu

If you take your net etc to another pond try to disinfect it first - easier said that done I know.

Hi Larry, I did a personal project a good few years ago with newts. Much like Niall, I set up a field studio, but in black. The only thing that I feel important to point out is that under no circumstances should you place any amphibians in fresh, chlorinated tap water - they have sensitive skin and this will cause serious stress/damage. The best thing to do is to use the same body of water where the subject is found. This will have the same parameters that it's used to. Also, if working with a small tank, make sure that you watch the temperature, especially under strong sunlight, as it will heat up quite quickly. Handle these delicate creatures with care and good luck!

newt.jpg
Great photos - do you filter the water first or not bother?

Tell me to butt out by all means, as I have nothing to say to improve on what's already been shown, but I thought these rubbish pisc might be of interest to newt lovers. It's amazing what you get to see by standing and watching.

DSC_2870.jpg

DSC_2871.jpg

Back