Photographing the moon through Celestron 6SE

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Afternoon,

I'm looking to photograph the moon next week with my Nikon D7500 and Celestron Nexstar 6SE.
I have the T-Ring and Camera Adapter. Has anyone had experience with a similar set up?

FOCUS
Is it just a case of switching to "live view" and focusing through the telescope.

ISO / SHUTTER SPEED
The research I've done has told me that the telescope is effectively a F10 lens so I'm assuming a high ISO (1600 maybe) and playing around with the shutter speed?

SHARP SHOTS / TRACKING
What sort of settings are you using to ensure nice crisp shots and overcoming the movement of the moon?
Do yo use the telescope tracking feature?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Dean

I haven't shot the Moon through a telescope but have shot it a fair bit with a long lens (400mm + 2x teleconverter on a 1.5x crop body). IMO, don't worry about the movement of the Moon throughout the exposure - you won't need long exposures or high ISO settings (the Moon is lit by direct sunlight and is a fairly light target.) I've used both manual and auto focus for the Moon as well as viewfinder and live view - both work well.

As for ideal settings for correct exposure, I've usually started with something along the lines of "sunny, f/16" then adjusting exposure to achieve the results I'm after. Something like ISO 400 and 1/800th is around what I'd start with (assuming the 'scope is f/10) then play. A tracking mount could help keep the Moon in shot between shots (if that makes any sense!), avoiding too much searching the sky for the target.

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking to photograph the moon next week with my Nikon D7500 and Celestron Nexstar 6SE.
I have the T-Ring and Camera Adapter. Has anyone had experience with a similar set up?

FOCUS
Is it just a case of switching to "live view" and focusing through the telescope.
Yes.
ISO / SHUTTER SPEED
The research I've done has told me that the telescope is effectively a F10 lens so I'm assuming a high ISO (1600 maybe) and playing around with the shutter speed?
No. The moon is sunlit rather brighter than a sunny summer's day. You should be able to use ISO 100, unless you're going to be using multiple exposures to bring up shadow detail.

SHARP SHOTS / TRACKING
What sort of settings are you using to ensure nice crisp shots and overcoming the movement of the moon?
Do yo use the telescope tracking feature?
Not necessary. Remember it's a very bright sunny day you're photographing.

No need to use live view, just focus through the viewfinder.

Lowest ISO and use normal metering (worth bracketing though, slightly underexposing will provide more detail)

As above no need to track, from memory it's about 1/250 sec. on the full moon.

Back