Photographing your own children

In my experience its all aspects of behaviour, kids great with others, nightmare when with Mum and Dad. Great shot!

Last edited:
Wait until year 9. You'll look back on this as bliss.

oh DAD!!!
you have taken loads of shots of me...:(

they are difficult to get a natrual pose...with the machine there between you...tripod and remote is a good way to set up and then crop etc later...

the candids seem to be the way to go...full of naturalness

LU 2-1 by geof worrall, on Flickr

plod on though your shot is fine!!

Last edited:
the candids seem to be the way to go...full of naturalness
Very much the case with mine.
Candids catch them doing things they like, without them being self conscious.
It's only with highly distorting lenses like fisheyes that I can get them photographed while they are aware I'm taking it.

thanks...
do you work in a refinery or chemical plant?

thanks...
do you work in a refinery or chemical plant?
It used to be called a refinery but we don't have any crackers, reformers etc just distillation, so management are trying to rename it as a 'manufacturing center'.
I still think refinery is closer :)

It used to be called a refinery but we don't have any crackers, reformers etc just distillation, so management are trying to rename it as a 'manufacturing center'.
I still think refinery is closer :)
thanks..just interested
i worked in refineries and plastic plants...BP and Borg Warner Chems...ABS resin plant and MBS bottle plastics
i was on engineering projects so got to go anywhere to survey and do some designing
all over in 1980 though
cheers
geof

Mines exactly the same too, she’s 4 and won’t take direction or sit still for me. It’s part of the fun, don’t you think?
I have a cunning plan for my next indoor shoot, am going to add her friend to the mix. Hoping that she behaves and mine will follow.

Fun portrait regardless. I’m looking for a similar box atm myself, any idea where you purchased?

You're definitely not alone in this.. As suggested above, candid is definitely the way to go. I sometimes find going for a much longer focal length works well - they don't seem to respond well to a camera in the face!

I find mine very frustrating to photograph, but it's worth it for the odd one that actually comes out well...

Jamie sat in the grass by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Mines exactly the same too, she’s 4 and won’t take direction or sit still for me. It’s part of the fun, don’t you think?
I have a cunning plan for my next indoor shoot, am going to add her friend to the mix. Hoping that she behaves and mine will follow.

Fun portrait regardless. I’m looking for a similar box atm myself, any idea where you purchased?

Sorry, I didn’t see this. It was ikea and I stained it with wood stain from wilkos.

Just a warning, they are not sturdy enough for sitting on which had been the original intention.

Oh and I’ve also tried adding friends to the mix. It does help a little but not as much as you’d like. Other people’s children are much much easier!

Oh and I’ve also tried adding friends to the mix. It does help a little but not as much as you’d like. Other people’s children are much much easier!

Thanks for the info, I still can’t make a buy decision on a couple of boxes. Agree with the above though, other people’s kids are absolutely fine. You’re own are, well... a challenge [emoji16]

Back