Photomechanic 6 - will you upgrade?

If you are using Photomechanic - will you upgrade to v6?

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
Guess this is one of the softwares that us sports photographers use a lot.
And with my Mac been complaining that my Photomechanic v5 was not supported by the latest OS - and upgrade not being that massive cost.
Took the decision to upgrade today - and noticed that my first purchase of Photomechanic was in 2007.... how time flies :)

Wasn't that sure if the upgrade was needed as such - v5 worked fast enough, did all I needed.
Only thing was the fact that it wasn't supported by the latest OS on Mac.

Just wondered what are the thoughts of other sports photographers - will you guys be upgrading to this, if you are using it at the moment?

Scary thing is that I upgraded this morning and now have a job tonight... and haven't tested it yet.
Never a smart thing to do - upgrade something the same day you have an assignment.

I'll upgrade, not because I need to but because it's one of the best bits of software I've ever used and I'm happy to give them a small amount of money to support them

Have upgraded.
Can not say that it seems faster.

Have upgraded.
Can not say that it seems faster.

Only tried it with JPEG images so far myself - maybe if I go really fast on the full screen images.. it seems a little faster.
But it wasn't like it was too slow in V.5 for me - so the speed wasn't an issue.

I am glad that the upgrade from V.5 to V.6 was smooth - and didn't throw any issues.
All works as before.. and the cacheing seems to work better, so quicker to shut it down.

Not any ground breaking upgrades in my view - but as @davidy233 said above, it is one of the best bits of software he has used.. and likewise, I am happy to support them with the small payment... every seven years or so (when the upgrades come :) ).

And by the looks of it - most people do seem like they are upgrading, so must be something there.

Yes the upgrade was seamless. All my settings in v5 come though in v6. And the same layout, which is great. (I hate we software layout is change for no good reason)
To me, and i am not a PM expert by an means, the culling/scrolling through the jpegs seems the same, but then in v5, it is still lightning quick.

By slower people mean to load ect. But it is now faster for togs t use because it has what has been needed all along. It now has the " select cropped photos " so there is no need to tag just crop the pics you want and ftp. A lot faster work flow. Also the crop is now better. Both those things were needed.

Last edited:
Slower, as in preview mode, going though images to select. Slow like LR. There does seem to be a few people with slowness on the camera bits forum. Esp. apple mojave.
I'm windows 10. So hopefully it gets sort soon.
I have gone though about 5000 images in past 3 days, and have gone back to PM5.

no noticeable speed issues or anything else. Just seems the same old familiar package. And that is awesome. If it aint broke....

Happy to support camera bits and pay a little to keep them going

Now after few events gone.. and having used PM6.
I am not quite sure what the point of this upgrade has been from CameraBits side...

When choosing and editing images on the go - sometimes PM6 decides to select a small group of images and won't let you scroll past this selection.
So I need to go out of the full screen preview - and un-click the selected images.
Bit of a pain when working on a quick deadline and wanting to scroll through the images quickly.

And another thing - or maybe I haven't figured this - but the SEARCH bar seems to have disappeared from PM6??
That is quite a vital feature for me, when sometimes having to locate an image using the players name.
Or have I just missed a trick here - and haven't clicked somewhere for it to be visible??

Speed for me is OK - no issues with that.

But yea.. has thrown some unexpected things ... hmmm.

Dropped a message to CameraBits guys to see if they have an answer for the issues.

Thanks for the "Beta" test guys! I think i'll give it a miss for now as long as the previous versions receive support!
after all, i still run with PS3 in the field too :).

Thanks for the "Beta" test guys! I think i'll give it a miss for now as long as the previous versions receive support!
after all, i still run with PS3 in the field too :).

Yep - lots of people saying Beta testing was lacking or missing.
And read about how the search works in PM6.... oh boy!
Luckily I didn’t delete PM5 ... it’s back to using that for now.

I hope CameraBits get PM6 to work properly... as PM is still one of the most useful pieces of software ...

still on V5 heard mixed results so will wait .... don't fix it if it isn't broken :)

Been following various threads on CameraBits Forum.. and yep, it seems 'Search' isn't available and not likely to come back on PM6.
Really a big think not to mention that it has been removed ...

I would guess for us Sports Photographers that is a rather big feature we need - let's say a client writes to me and asks for an image of 'Player A, team A'
What I used to do is to go on PM5 - open my external HD, search for 'Player A, team A' .. get all the results and choose the right type of image for the client.
And I preferred PM for this - as I could see the photos there straight away. Unlike if you use Search on Mac.. where you have to scroll through the images individually to view them.

Although - there is soon to be released - PhotoMechanic 6 - PLUS!! So how does the Plus version differ from this.. do I need to pay more to upgrade??

After all the nice things about PM .. they haven't really made a success out of the new version :-(

Been following various threads on CameraBits Forum.. and yep, it seems 'Search' isn't available and not likely to come back on PM6.

I would guess for us Sports Photographers that is a rather big feature we need - let's say a client writes to me and asks for an image of 'Player A, team A'
What I used to do is to go on PM5 - open my external HD, search for 'Player A, team A' .. get all the results and choose the right type of image for the client.
And I preferred PM for this - as I could see the photos there straight away. Unlike if you use Search on Mac.. where you have to scroll through the images individually to view them.

Although - there is soon to be released - PhotoMechanic 6 - PLUS!! So how does the Plus version differ from this.. do I need to pay more to upgrade??

After all the nice things about PM .. they haven't really made a success out of the new version :-(
What do you mean by 'search'?.. do you mean 'find' that is in Edit?

Nope, he means search. It's a PM facility on the Mac version only, not on a PC platform.

I suspect that the PM + will be the version with the DAM - something that they've been promising for ages and which would also explain the lack of a search facility.

Downloaded it and had a play but not used it on a game yet. Hard to see how it's an improvement on PM5.

Back