Edit My Images
Yes
So I have just recently been to the lake district.

A month or so of the hottest temperatures on record and it rains so hard that I had to bring waterproofs :/ English weather is back again eh.

On the plus side the clouds made for some nice photographs.

I thought I would post them here, I am quite a noob to all this still and this is the first time I have been really out with my camera. I am quite happy with how I have edited them (Using a lightroom trial). To me they look pretty decent, I maybe think I might have overdone the blue (?) but I really liked the way it looked so I just left it. I thought it would be good to hear other opinions. Are there any tricks to editing landscape photographs?

I only have my kit lens and no tripod at the moment. But I have been doing a load more research on the triangle (ISO etc) and looking forward to trying to improve my pics even more next time. Any advice in general about landscape photography will also be greatly received.

(Canon 40D, 35mm, f/14, 1/250, ISO:400)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28ezJr4]

(Canon 40D, 29mm, f/9.0, 1/125, ISO:100)

Ducks2
(Canon 40D, 35mm, f/11.0, 1/200, ISO:400)

(Canon 40D, 29mm, f/9.0, 1/125, ISO:100)

(Canon 40D, 29mm, f/20, 1/50, ISO:100)[/url]

Agree with Mark. Also, shots 2, 4 & 5 have no subject (that I can see). Always ask yourself what you're taking a photo of.

Example: With #2 the rocks in the foreground could make a nice subject/bit of foreground interest, but they're just dark blobs because they are under-exposed. This is a common landscape problem. The sky is often bright, the land often dark. Things like graduated filters can help with that but you need to at least expose your subject.
The last image has a really nice sky, but there is nothing in the rest of the image. The jetty is far away and in darkness, the bushes crowding it out. There's nothing in the bottom quarter of the image that's happening.

Looking at image #1. We have a subject, we have a low POV which has cut out a lot of the flat grey water. We've got a nice sky, and the mountains in the background. This is a decent image - again, too dark for my liking, but a decent orator could argue "moody" rather than "under-exposed". It's not an image I've seen before which shows thought behind it, and the duck on the LH rock is fab. There's probably too many ducks in the frame, but that's a minor criticism. This is the best of the bunch for me. I like it. #3 however is just a picture of some ducks. Huge difference between the 2 images.

Get a tripod. Not only will it allow you to shoot with slow shutter speeds, it will make you think about what you're taking a photo of, which is what makes great landscape photos.

The ducks one is fab though.
(As with all my crit - please take what you like & leave the rest)

All look under exposed quite a bit to me.

Technically they are not underexposed if you look at the histograms, but the visual effect is indeed very dark, grey and as I like to say simply 'miserable'. This is because there is really no directional light at all, everything is in a deep shade and only the sky is actually contributing the highlights part of the exposure.
It just wasn't the right day for such photography. A bit of sunshine and things would look so different. Photography is all about the quality of light and only then the subject.
On the subject matter I'd like to see a clearer distinction what the image is all about.
There is a way the lead the viewer through the image to the key parts by placing elements strategically, using geometry to your advantage and avoiding distractions. There is just too much to cover everything in a few lines.

Back