Critique Photos of my kids and nephews please critique

I can see room for improvement.

-Background creases are still showing and part of the BG are cut off
-Background exposures are off, not sure if intentional. But I'd go for something a bit darker than pure white
-The Baby looks uncomfortable laying on her front, try re-positioning her, maybe on some cushions or something.
-Boy with chinos lying down has distorted arms
-Boy with white shirt looks as if he has no legs, try and incorporate ligaments to avoid this.
-Missed focus with the boy in the orange polo. This would have been a good shot if it weren't for that
-Boy with chinos on last shot looks false smiling. Tell a joke, make a fool of yourself and get them laughing just like the kid with the orange polo.

+First shot has nice composure
+The boy with the white shirt looks like he is having a great time
+Relatively good exposure on the subjects, highlights look nearly blown on the last image however.

I would add catch lights. Kids eyes glow so well when they have a good catch light. It would make photos pop!
Also work on exposing the background, you could do this with dodging in Photoshop, were not all perfect!
Think about posing, get the kids relaxed, let them play about and snap when their not expecting it.
Also try getting some shots of them interacting with each other. It removes the tension of being in front of a camera, they will forget you were even there!

I sometimes get told I'm to harsh of a critic, but criticism makes things better.

Thanks for you critique I'm all for it nothing harsh about it, as going for something a it darker in the background what would you suggest it is a vinyl background double sided white and grey thanks

Thanks for you critique I'm all for it nothing harsh about it, as going for something a it darker in the background what would you suggest it is a vinyl background double sided white and grey thanks

First one is an instant delete. It's not focussed properly which is a real shame as I really like it!

These are much better than the group shots you posted earlier. If anything I just think you need to pay more attention to detail. Things like creases in the background and chopping off limbs seem to be your speciality :D

Bubbles are great, especially with young children, get them playing, relaxed, and take photos, this gets them used to the camera and they then ignore it. Once you've messed about a bit then get them posing and you'll find you have eye contact and smiles. Basically you become a clown to get them looking at you and smiling. Pull funny faces, stick your tongue out, constantly talk. I had a couple of moving toys that jiggled about to put on the floor near me.

White backgrounds ok, but you can use a dodge brush on highlights to even it out and remove creases. Good angle on the shots, looks like you got down to their level.

Hi Liam

I won't re-iterate what's already been said, as I think it's pretty much covered. But I will just touch upon what Elliot said regards to catchlights - Lower your light, move it in close. Make those eyes pop. Bright sparkly eyes will make a huge difference, in addition to what's been covered above.

I didn't see your other post - what are you using for lighting?

Great effort, keep going! :)

I concur with most of the criticisms but I also much prefer to see children doing all the things children do - playing, running, laughing etc - because a child's expressions are ever changing.

I realise that here you were simply trying out studio shots but oddly enough they are the hardest to do for children simply because they are in an environment they are not used to.

Last edited:
Sorry for late replies, I was using a speed light to light the background and a umbrella to light the kids

...I was using a speed light to light the background...

To me it doesn't look like any lighting was on the background (apart from maybe the last shot) - where was this positioned, what power level was it on (was it in ETTL or manual mode)? A well positioned speedlight on full power should blow out a white background (well, most of it, leaving a quick fix in PS to clean up the bits it didn't).

No other comments as others have already covered these.

This is my second a temp in the studio with the kidsView attachment 36242View attachment 36243View attachment 36244View attachment 36245View attachment 36246

You view would be appreciated please

you have all the kit do perhaps do better regarding focus and punch...the wow factor
3 seems to be the only one with catchlight in the eyes
eyes are important and if pin sharp make the shot as well
tripod, high speed should make all go well...dof isnt a criteria so long as the 1st 1/3 of the face is the focal plane that is from the nose to the ear with the eyes or the closer pin sharp

Back