Photos, street

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought there would be a dedicated photo forum for street photography. It seems people and portrait is the place to post street photos.
Isn't street photography more than just people or portrait?
It could just be me and I'm not looking hard enough for a street photo forum.

I thought there would be a dedicated photo forum for street photography.

Such observation I posted at the beginning and I was dryly
turned around and nothing changed since… good luck! :cool:

It certainly is a lot more than that! I lean towards more abstract stuff. However, you are inviting people in that just take photos of everyday people walking past rather than telling a story or a moment or a character. I feel that is best left for the people/ portrait threads :p

I vote for a ‘Anything street but people’ or ‘thought provoking street photographs’ or a ‘tell a story from the streets’. Anything where you just don’t get unimaginative photos like above. I am not trying to be negative, I enjoy taking street portraits, and some can be very thought provoking, but I am just not keen on another thread full of just some people walking past that they captured without anything other than just showing that.

Would love to get more traffic into the talk street and travel photography part of the forum :D

Last edited:
It would be a nightmare with the 'street police' arguing over what qualified as 'street' and what didn't.

:coat:

I do believe that a large proportion of ‘street’ images posted on TP are actually candid portraits with a smaller chunk blurring the lines and being ‘street’ portraits but I’ll admit myself it’s such a fine line hell yes let’s have a street photography forum!

I agree that there is a fine line between 'real street photography' and candid portrait type shots. But maybe with a dedicated photo forum, the more experienced, good and knowledgeable Street photographers can educated us mere mortals :D with photos. That way we can see what makes a good street photo.

Opens the can of worms as to what street photography is NB i deliberately didn't say good street photography:

A way to practise without having to worry about privacy laws <----- joke

more a form of reportage photography in that good street photography should either tell a story or have the viewer imagine a whole storyline behind the photo.....

Opens the can of worms as to what street photography is NB i deliberately didn't say good street photography:

A way to practise without having to worry about privacy laws <----- joke

more a form of reportage photography in that good street photography should either tell a story or have the viewer imagine a whole storyline behind the photo.....
I agree. I don’t however think a candid shot of someone using their mobile phone sniped behind the safety of a 70-200 counts as street photography. Others will. ‘Sigh’ ;)

I think street photography is part of people & portraits to be honest. If it's got people in it, then it's people, if not - then urban & architecture sounds about right.. If the admins started breaking it down further you'd have even more diversity. Studio portraits, environmental portraits, candid portraits...

I think street photography is part of people & portraits to be honest. If it's got people in it, then it's people, if not - then urban & architecture sounds about right..

pretty much covers it, yep - and if it's realllly abstract, chuck it in creative where you can occasionally explain "your art" without too many philistines...

If the admins started breaking it down further you'd have even more diversity. Studio portraits, environmental portraits, candid portraits...

Birds, Brown, Birds Black, Birds White, Birds Green....

Cars Racing, Cars Street, Cars New, Cars Old, Cars Borrowed, Cars Blue...

where do we stop - the more "granularity" of the forum, the more chance you'll miss something good, and the less chance someone will actually see what you post and give meaningful critique on it - it's rare enough as it is these days...

Getting a new forum area is going to be a tough shout, every time there's a call for it discussed in the staff room, we end up in a discussion of how many other fora we aught to cull/combine as they're not getting enough footfall as it is...

My suggestion to the OP is simple - start a "Share your Street Photography" thread in the People & Portraits section, with another in the "urban and architecture" and maybe a third in "Creative" if you're so minded - add links to the "sister threads" in each, and make it clear in the first post that it's a group sharing thread, that all images posted are open for "robust critique" and see how it goes - if the thread hits 100 pages in a couple of days, we'll know that there's some real demand for it, and "da management" won't be able to ignore it...

Last edited:
I'm easy, if there doesn't seem to be a need for it, that's fine (y):)

Back