Photoshop 2020 NO

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I have updated my PS 2020 and since I have my PC is going crazy - PS opens sometimes Bridge opens when it feels like it- so slow its annoying :mad:

What is a better option for an editing suite? Paid for not wanting any of the free suites

I mainly Photography Birds/Wildlife and shoot with Sony

Thanks guys

Les :)

+1 for Affinity, I find it very easy to use and is pretty powerful. It's a one off payment (may even be on offer at he moment?).

Last edited:
I can't see an Affinity Photo offer at the moment, but last year they had a Black Friday discount, so might be worth waiting to see if they do that again - maybe give the trial version a shot before then. It's an excellent image editor you can use in place of Photoshop, but note that it doesn't replace Lightroom or Bridge - as John suggests, you may need someting else for image management, batch previewing and sorting, or batch raw conversions.

I've had CS5 for years, and I love it (y) ( mostly)
I trialed Affinity for its photos stacking abilities and it knocks spots off of CS5
and I bought for the offer price of 25 quid. It'd have been rude not to.
The lay out is similar to CS5, but I still prefer to use CS5 most of the time.

As others have said use the trial version to get to grips with it,
and there maybe "Black Friday" deals.

But TBH at the full price of 50 Quid I'd have bought it anyway (y)

Last edited:
I can't use Affinity on my laptop, can't update OpenGl which it requires, however I see it's also available for iPad.
I've got the iPad Air 3rd Gen so it will work but is it worth it, anyone used it on iPad?

I have updated my PS 2020 and since I have my PC is going crazy - PS opens sometimes Bridge opens when it feels like it- so slow its annoying :mad:

What is a better option for an editing suite? Paid for not wanting any of the free suites

Thanks guys

I don't think (but don't know definitively)that PS is responsible for making your PC miss behave. Could it be your OS needs a good looking at? I downloaded mine without a problem (Very quick now I have Fibre BB) It has only been used a little so far and I am still getting used to the array of new controls for RAW. Many of which I won't use and to me that update with RAW seams the main update. Yes there are a few bits and pieces here and there but nothing that jumps out at me saying 'Use me I am the answer to your problems.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys . Photoshop due for renewal in January 2021.

I guess I won't be returning to Adobe

I know others jump in and suggest editing alternatives but have you considered identifying the issue and may be fixing. It appears that the latest update requires a suitable Graphics card for some of the new features, Adobe do publish a list of suitable Graphics cards and I was pleased and surprised that mine was on the list (given my PC is at least 6 years old). So I then updated Adobe and all is fine,

Dave

Thanks guys

I'd try On1 photoraw - you can import your lightroom images too - and it comes with much of the Photoshop editing ability.

I know others jump in and suggest editing alternatives but have you considered identifying the issue and may be fixing. It appears that the latest update requires a suitable Graphics card for some of the new features, Adobe do publish a list of suitable Graphics cards and I was pleased and surprised that mine was on the list (given my PC is at least 6 years old). So I then updated Adobe and all is fine,

Dave
Thank you Dave, I have uninstalled all of the Photoshop modules Photoshop - Bridge and Raw. reinstalled them and still when I try to download the new Neutral Filter set or the skin smoothing set, my POC locks up and nothing works :(

I'd try On1 photoraw - you can import your lightroom images too - and it comes with much of the Photoshop editing ability.

Thank you Toni, I'll look into that too, cheers buddy :)

Les

I don't think (but don't know definitively)that PS is responsible for making your PC miss behave. Could it be your OS needs a good looking at? I downloaded mine without a problem (Very quick now I have Fibre BB) It has only been used a little so far and I am still getting used to the array of new controls for RAW. Many of which I won't use and to me that update with RAW seams the main update. Yes there are a few bits and pieces here and there but nothing that jumps out at me saying 'Use me I am the answer to your problems.'

Thank you John- my PC was new 4 months back the OS is perfectly fine and runs PS without a hitch. I have Sky Ultra fast Fibre and usually my PC is very fast, however: as I tried to download the Neutral Filters does it become problematic, I can replace the Sky on the new feature very quick- it's just the Neutral Filters that cause issues

PS I have just now - deleted and re-installed all Photoshop programmes and its still exceedingly slow downloading the new filter sets - I did see photoshop RAW & Bridge running very fast until I opted to download the new Neutral filter sets :( Guess I just wont use them or buy Affinity or ON1PhotoRaw

But have you checked that you have a graphics card which is on the list supported by Adobe? You do need a medium range Graphics card for some of the functions to work.

Dave

But have you checked that you have a graphics card which is on the list supported by Adobe? You do need a medium range Graphics card for some of the functions to work.

Dave

Thank you Dave, may I ask how I check what graphics card I presently have? the PC is a NEW Dell Inspiron bought back in July this year, if that helps?

I don't know if you are running Acronis True Image but if you are this is highly relevant

I am and it basically stopped camera raw 13 from working

I can't use Affinity on my laptop, can't update OpenGl which it requires, however I see it's also available for iPad.
I've got the iPad Air 3rd Gen so it will work but is it worth it, anyone used it on iPad?
Yep I’ve been using it on my iPad Pro and it’s excellent does everything that I need
You can’t have two images open at once (at least I haven’t found a way of doing it ) to do things like healing brush from one to another, but that’s the only thing that I haven’t been able to do

Thank you Dave, may I ask how I check what graphics card I presently have? the PC is a NEW Dell Inspiron bought back in July this year, if that helps?

You should be able to see it in the Device Manager. If I just right click on my monitor screen the list includes NVIDIA Control panel so you might have something similar if you have a Graphics card. Given that you bought your Computer so recently, the invoice would list the graphics card. I am about to purchase Dell Laptop and their descriptions are fairly clear as to whether it includes a separate graphics card and the type. I know I will need one to drive the Club's projectors as well as to run Adobe PS/LR. You can often add a Graphics card later but it is usually cheaper to include initially.

Dave

Yep I’ve been using it on my iPad Pro and it’s excellent does everything that I need
You can’t have two images open at once (at least I haven’t found a way of doing it ) to do things like healing brush from one to another, but that’s the only thing that I haven’t been able to do
That's good to know, at under £20 I might give it a try.

I have manged to sort out this issue-I think with a simple update to the graphics driver :)

Thank you all for the suggestions / help

I had an issue with PS 2020 , wouldn't do anything. I've reverted back to 2019 version.

I had lots of speed issues too- I may well revert back to 2019 - not sure how I do that- any chance of some instruction's Peter ? :)

Les

Is there a way to use Affinity on an Android device?

Quick update- I have removed Photoshop from my PC and cancelled the renewal with Adobe-

I have downloaded both Affinity 30 day free trial and On1Photoraw 14 day trial before I commit to one of those - just seeing how they pan out for my needs

Is there a way to use Affinity on an Android device?
There's no version for Android, and from discussions on their forums it sounds like they aren't planning to make one any time soon.

I've had CS5 for years, and I love it (y) ( mostly)
I trialled Affinity for its photos stacking abilities and it knocks spots off of CS5
and I bought for the offer price of 25 quid. It'd have been rude not to.
The lay out is similar to CS5, but I still prefer to use CS5 most of the time.

As others have said use the trial version to get to grips with it,
and there maybe "Black Friday" deals.

But TBH at the full price of 50 Quid I'd have bought it anyway (y)

The Afinity Photo offer here:

has expired - see here:

The Afinity Photo offer here:

has expired - see here:
Black Friday is 3 weeks away, so if anyone isn't in a hurry it's probably worth checking the Affinity site then.

Back