Photoshop Borders

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I tend to add borders to my JPG files in PS, but extending the canvass, usually 4mm black, then 56mm white.

Is there any way I can set this up as some sort of "action" or macro ?

Yes you can, in Photoshop in the action panel there’s an option to record a macro. Create a new action set call it whatever you like. You then create a new action with a name of your choice e.g. “canvas-Landscape” with your image open as you set the action to record do what you want to make the extended canvas (size, colour etc).
When you have completed this you then stop the action. The next time you want to finish an image with extended canvas, with the image open chose your action and set it to play.
You may want to make a “portrait” and “square” set of actions once you’ve got the hang of creating the first one.
It isn’t difficult once you’ve got your head around it, IHTH

Magic, thanks guys. Will play with this today.

I've been doing this for years and thought there must be a quicker way!

Could someone put me in the right direction to achieve this?

So what I do (and was the basis of this post), is after after I've finished editing, clicl on image, adjust borders, then add 4 pixels in black, then 56 pixels in white. This is for an image 1600-2000 wide. You might want to play around to see what suits you.

Something to consider: If you are working in Lightroom and your image is an HDR composite (you've bracketed 3/5/7 shots and want to bring them together in LR) I can't seem to make it work on the the DNG file that is produced in LR so you will need to save the JPG BEFORE you add the borders, then close it down, and re-open the JPG to add the borders.

So what I do (and was the basis of this post), is after after I've finished editing, clicl on image, adjust borders, then add 4 pixels in black, then 56 pixels in white. This is for an image 1600-2000 wide. You might want to play around to see what suits you.

Something to consider: If you are working in Lightroom and your image is an HDR composite (you've bracketed 3/5/7 shots and want to bring them together in LR) I can't seem to make it work on the the DNG file that is produced in LR so you will need to save the JPG BEFORE you add the borders, then close it down, and re-open the JPG to add the borders.
Thanks for this. I will give it a go when I get back to the computer. I'll have to adjust some of my images to 1600 x 2000 as I'm not even sure what size mine are. Just a beginner.

Last edited:

i once made an action that used percentages to drop a watermark in place. this way the bottom right corner of the watermark was always dropped 10% in from the bottom right corner no matter what size the image was. it's been awhile but i believe i had to se the rulers to % rather than pixels to do this.

Back