Photoshop CS6 and dealing with RAW files

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
One of the 'gripes' amongst those not wishing to switch to Adobe Creative Cloud, is that CS6 will no longer open RAW files from newer cameras, e.g. D500, as Adobe are no longer supporting CS6.

As far as I can see there are a couple of workarounds:-
  1. You can open RAW files from new cameras in Capture NX-D and then export to Photoshop CS6 as a TIFF file.
  2. You can convert files from RAW to DNG before opening in Photoshop CS6.
Any advantage one over the other?
Any other options?

Adobe not supporting newer cameras with older versions of it's software is nothing new. Of the two options you quote I can't comment on which is best as I have never used NX-D being a Canon user. However the DNG converter does work fine and has the advantage of reducing the file size, thus giving more storage space, plus will batch convert.

You can always use Lightroom, which IS updated for recent camera releases.
Develop raw in Lightroom and then pass the image to Photoshop if necessary.
Since using Lightroom I find I seldom use Photoshop.

I process in LR, but for the puropses of this discussion it's the same difference.
I'm on Fuji, the X-T2.
When I was on the X-T1 LR would process my RAW files no problem.
However....looking in my picture gallery on Windows the thumbnails couldn't be seen, so i'd no idea which shot was which until converted to JPEG. So I started importing to LR as DNG files. Yes it takes a bit longer, but it soon became part of my workflow and wasn't a burden.

Now I've got the X-T2, LR won't recognise the RAW files, which is similar to your problem.
I now use Adobe's DNG convertor then import into LR as a simple copy. Time taken is no different, it's just the workflow that has changed.

There doesn't seem to me to be any drawbacks at all. DNG files have a lot of extraneous matter that have no impact on picture quality removed and so file size is reduced making easier storage.

The merchants of doom will tell you that it's just another Adobe wangle to tie you in then they will withdraw support and you'll be left high and dry. Personally I think it's all done with mirrors in a remote part of the Arizone desert. Easy to tell because the shadows are all wrong!

I process in LR, but for the puropses of this discussion it's the same difference.
I'm on Fuji, the X-T2.
When I was on the X-T1 LR would process my RAW files no problem.
However....looking in my picture gallery on Windows the thumbnails couldn't be seen, so i'd no idea which shot was which until converted to JPEG. So I started importing to LR as DNG files. Yes it takes a bit longer, but it soon became part of my workflow and wasn't a burden.

Now I've got the X-T2, LR won't recognise the RAW files, which is similar to your problem.
I now use Adobe's DNG convertor then import into LR as a simple copy. Time taken is no different, it's just the workflow that has changed.

There doesn't seem to me to be any drawbacks at all. DNG files have a lot of extraneous matter that have no impact on picture quality removed and so file size is reduced making easier storage.

The merchants of doom will tell you that it's just another Adobe wangle to tie you in then they will withdraw support and you'll be left high and dry. Personally I think it's all done with mirrors in a remote part of the Arizone desert. Easy to tell because the shadows are all wrong!

I'm using CC at the moment so it isn't currently a problem for me ... just mulling things over in my mind.
Doesn't the conversion to DNG remove part of the exif data?

Doesn't the conversion to DNG remove part of the exif data?
It might do but apart from basic shooting details - aperture, shutter speed, ISO, date and time I never look for anything else so don't know what might not be there.

Think that's only LR 6 and the CC version. LR5 or lower are not updated anymore; or so I'm told.
Correct.
Lightroom 6.5 supports Nikon D500 raw files.
I had to update to LR 6.5 for my Canon 80D.

Back