Photoshop CS6 & Camera Raw Question *Resolved*

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I have just ended my Adobe Creative Cloud Photographers Package, of which I almost exclusively used Photoshop.
I am now back to my Photoshop CS6 but there is one thing that I am going to miss if I can't find a quick-ish way around and that is having Camera Raw in the 'Filters' drop-down menu. When processing I quite often used Camera Raw to make little tweaks as I went but of course CS6 doesn't have it there.
I know that I can save and open in Bridge > right click > Open in Camera Raw but I would like a less convoluted way of doing it, if that is possible ... any of you PS experts got any suggestions please?

Does pressing Ctrl and R together open it?
It doesn't Paul, that brings up horizontal & vertical guides but thanks for trying :)
I've just found and installed a script from a programmer called Russell Brown that uses Photoshop's Windows > Extensions to convert the file into a Smart Object and allows any layer to be opened in ACR, which seems to cover what I need quite nicely.

I have just ended my Adobe Creative Cloud Photographers Package, of which I almost exclusively used Photoshop.
I am now back to my Photoshop CS6 but there is one thing that I am going to miss if I can't find a quick-ish way around and that is having Camera Raw in the 'Filters' drop-down menu. When processing I quite often used Camera Raw to make little tweaks as I went but of course CS6 doesn't have it there.
I know that I can save and open in Bridge > right click > Open in Camera Raw but I would like a less convoluted way of doing it, if that is possible ... any of you PS experts got any suggestions please?

right-click on the layer in the Layers palette and select the Convert to Smart Object option. Now, to toggle back to Camera Raw, double-click the Smart Object icon in the Layer thumbnail and you'll be able to do further edits in ACR.

Glad you are sorted :) ... not used CS6 in a long time (use CC) and memory isn't what it once was ...

Talking about going back to CS6, I was on Adobe technical chat yesterday and they claim all PSDs created under Photoshop CC won't work under CS6 or any other older PS. They say it is not even possible to open them. Could you confirm that for me please as it is a bit of deal breaker for me.

right-click on the layer in the Layers palette and select the Convert to Smart Object option. Now, to toggle back to Camera Raw, double-click the Smart Object icon in the Layer thumbnail and you'll be able to do further edits in ACR.

Thank you Stuart ... I get to Convert to Smart Object and when I double-click on the Smart Object icon in the Layer thumbnail I get this:-

capture1.jpg

When I click on [OK] it just seems to create another layer but doesn't take me into ACR.

Thank you Stuart ... I get to Convert to Smart Object and when I double-click on the Smart Object icon in the Layer thumbnail I get this:-

View attachment 110845

When I click on [OK] it just seems to create another layer but doesn't take me into ACR.

Strange indeed, my info was taken direct from Adobe's website.

Talking about going back to CS6, I was on Adobe technical chat yesterday and they claim all PSDs created under Photoshop CC won't work under CS6 or any other older PS. They say it is not even possible to open them. Could you confirm that for me please as it is a bit of deal breaker for me.
@=ReBeL= I don't generally save in .psd but I have in the past done so by mistake and I've just found 2 images saved in .psd from my D7200 in June 2016 when I was using CC ... both open fine in CS6. :)

@=ReBeL= I don't generally save in .psd but I have in the past done so by mistake and I've just found 2 images saved in .psd from my D7200 in June 2016 when I was using CC ... both open fine in CS6. :)
Great news. Thank you for that :)

Only way I know is to open your JPG or TIFF in camera raw, instead of clicking on open hold down shift and it then becomes 'Open Object' the file will then open in Photoshop as a Smart Object, you can then double click on the layer thumbnail and it will return you to ACR, works in CC so hopefully will work in CS6.

HTH

Phil

Only way I know is to open your JPG or TIFF in camera raw, instead of clicking on open hold down shift and it then becomes 'Open Object' the file will then open in Photoshop as a Smart Object, you can then double click on the layer thumbnail and it will return you to ACR, works in CC so hopefully will work in CS6.

HTH

Phil

Thanks Phil, however that sounds like what I tried (in Post 7) and it didn't open up ACR.

Thank you.

I'm going in the opposite way to the OP. Resisted moving to CC for years, but as I do more and more PS work, I feel like I'm missing out on the latest features and giving my competition the edge. I am worried that if I change my mind and want to go back to CS6 all my newest work will be wasted. I save everything in PSDs for future reference and possible future changes.

As I'm hovering over the buy button, I decided to clear the issue directly with Adobe, but they were adamant that I won't be even able to open CC PSDs under CS6, so I have not bought it yet.

Thank you.

I'm going in the opposite way to the OP. Resisted moving to CC for years, but as I do more and more PS work, I feel like I'm missing out on the latest features and giving my competition the edge. I am worried that if I change my mind and want to go back to CS6 all my newest work will be wasted. I save everything in PSDs for future reference and possible future changes.

As I'm hovering over the buy button, I decided to clear the issue directly with Adobe, but they were adamant that I won't be even able to open CC PSDs under CS6, so I have not bought it yet.

.psd shown in Irfanview

capture2.jpg

Same .psd opened in CS6

capture4.jpg

As noted above, some things won't be available if the CC .psd uses aspects not available in CS6.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, however that sounds like what I tried (in Post 7) and it didn't open up ACR.
Not quite... You need to open your JPG/TIFF/PSD file first in Camera Raw, hold down shift and click on Open as Object, you will then have a Smart Object that will open in Camera Raw when you double click on the layer thumbnail.

It will not work if you simply convert to a Smart Object, it needs to be Opened as a Smart Object from Camera Raw.

So...
Open the file you wish to work on in camera raw ether from bridge or directly from the open dialogue by selecting Camera Raw

Hold Shift and the Open button will change to Open Object

This opens as a Smart Object in PS

You can then return to Camera Raw when you want by double clicking on the Layer Thumbnail.

It is the first step that is the important one.

Phil

As long as the compatibility option is checked when you save there should be no problem...

HTH

As long as the compatibility option is checked when you save there should be no problem...

HTH
Always have that checked. It will be no different in CC. I'll just go for it. I don't think I have much choice. Besides most of my work is manual so I doubt I'll use many of the new gimmicky features (I could be wrong here though :)).

Not quite... You need to open your JPG/TIFF/PSD file first in Camera Raw, hold down shift and click on Open as Object, you will then have a Smart Object that will open in Camera Raw when you double click on the layer thumbnail.

It will not work if you simply convert to a Smart Object, it needs to be Opened as a Smart Object from Camera Raw.

So...
Open the file you wish to work on in camera raw ether from bridge or directly from the open dialogue by selecting Camera Raw

Hold Shift and the Open button will change to Open Object

This opens as a Smart Object in PS

You can then return to Camera Raw when you want by double clicking on the Layer Thumbnail.

It is the first step that is the important one.

Phil

Yes that works, thank you very much. :)

@gramps Just a quick question as few days have passed, do you regret going back to CS6? Do you miss CC features?

@gramps Just a quick question as few days have passed, do you regret going back to CS6? Do you miss CC features?

I don't miss anything ATM Adrian ... I initially liked DeHaze and Context-aware Crop but they were used very infrequently after the novelty wore off.
I did worry about not having Camera Raw in Photoshop 'Filters' but I have found a work-around 'plugin' that I can use almost as easily so I'm sorted. :)

I don't miss anything ATM Adrian ... I initially liked DeHaze and Context-aware Crop but they were used very infrequently after the novelty wore off.
I did worry about not having Camera Raw in Photoshop 'Filters' but I have found a work-around 'plugin' that I can use almost as easily so I'm sorted. :)
Thanks for your reply. I was just curious :)

Back