Photoshop for Mac

In a discussion in "another place" someone mentioned that they found Photos to be a perfectly adequate database for their photographs, which makes a Photos + Affinity a very useful sounding combination
Graham I find the database of photos perfect for me, create great slideshows with music of your choicest dates all the photos and gives good info, i love it, much prefer it to LR .
AP is great for doing a few different things,I find the raw processor in Photos not bad and as I get to use it more it becomes enough, thanks for reminding me or was it someone else about DXo,i just bought it,iwas using another lens correction software but it didn't gel so well with photos but this DXO is great.the curves adjustment etc coming in Hi Sierra is another
good addition ,I think that LR can still do shadows and highlights slightly better than photos but there I not a lot in it.can always use the free trial of LR which after a month allows basic editing but not lens correction if you really need to try it.

Graham I find the database of photos perfect for me, create great slideshows with music of your choicest dates all the photos and gives good info, i love it, much prefer it to LR .
It wasn't me that mentioned DXO for Photos, but I do occasionally use DXO for noise reduction. I'm very settled with Capture One for Raw processing, and Media Pro as a database (less settled with the latter), but Photos has some attraction as some programs I use (such as Final Cut Pro) can access the Photos database directly, I've just never got round to trying it. I think I will now.

I think Adobe Lightroom could be the best option. You can make quick easy edits and it isn't too in depth like Photoshop can be. If you subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud it would be £10pm for the Photographer's Edition and you'd get Photoshop and Bridge as well if you needed them

I think Adobe Lightroom could be the best option. You can make quick easy edits and it isn't too in depth like Photoshop can be. If you subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud it would be £10pm for the Photographer's Edition and you'd get Photoshop and Bridge as well if you needed them
there is no denying that LR is very good with raw development but having a Mac a reasonably satisfying raw edit can be made free but yes it is a good programme LR.

there is no denying that LR is very good with raw development but having a Mac a reasonably satisfying raw edit can be made free but yes it is a good programme LR.

The thing about Lightroom is that image development is just a part of the package, with cataloguing, mapping, publishing and printing modules also included. I think I may have mentioned DXO, and it can produce images virtually indistinguishable from LR, but requires a different approach. I also find it more automated with better automatic choices made than LR - this will suit those who want to spend the minimum time necessary at a screen - but some of the key tools like dust spot removal seem less good. I could live with it if it were the only editor available and have it as a lightroom plugin, but it's missing some of the other functionality that makes LR so useful.

Photos must have come a long way since first launched, to be useful now.

I've taken to using DXO for initial RAW development and then exporting it to Photoshop where it opens in RAW so I have another bite. I find DXO gets a bit more detail and does great NR, whereas Adobe RAW allows more subtle correction of lights and shadows.This wouldn't do for most people I know but I don't need efficient work flows and can mess about forever. I also have CO and use it occasionally but find it a bit messy and complicated if all you want to do is develop RAW and not use the database facilities. Same thing with LR, I have it but rarely use it, mainly out of laziness because I can't get round to learning it properly. I might have another go though as so many here seem to love it.

Only been in to my photography for a couple of years and after a lot of research I opted early on to go for the Lightroom CC / Photoshop CC monthly package as I didn't want to be moving things about or learning new things later. It seemed like quite a big commitment at first coming from Apples "photos" that was essentially free on my mac, ipad, phone etc but after a relatively short initial amount of learning I absolutely love how it seamlessly works and how I can go from Lightroom to Photoshop ( of which I am just starting to get to grips with - so so powerful ) and things like the NIK software plug ins (get this, it's free and there are some fabulous features) easily.

It's amazing how quickly the pictures start mounting up and I am so pleased that I started and have stuck to one programme and the amount of youtube tutorials out there is huge. Lots to learn still but I have come so far with these programmes I really wouldn't want to change.

Happy to spend a tenner a month for the above ? NO, totally delighted :)

Back