Photoshop lasso tool help !

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody got a reasonably easy to follow guide to using the lasso tool to select items in a pic ?

I took a reasonable pic of a Cheetah yesterday but the background sucks, i would like to cut it out and maybe change the background ? am having issues with the tool not selecting properly, and wonder if that matters and should i just rough outline it and then finish it off afterwards ?

Lasso tool may not be the right way, so if anybody has any easier or better suggestions please go ahead ! :)

Thanks

IanC_UK said:
Anybody got a reasonably easy to follow guide to using the lasso tool to select items in a pic ?

I took a reasonable pic of a Cheetah yesterday but the background sucks, i would like to cut it out and maybe change the background ? am having issues with the tool not selecting properly, and wonder if that matters and should i just rough outline it and then finish it off afterwards ?

Lasso tool may not be the right way, so if anybody has any easier or better suggestions please go ahead ! :)

Thanks

What do you mean by the lasso tool not selecting properly? Are you using the magnetic lasso tool rather than the standard one? Personally, I'd make a rough selection with the lasso tool (normal one) then go into quickmask and fine tune the selection with a brush (paint with black to add to selection, white or eraser to remove).

cheers,
Andy

I preffer to do a Path and save it for further changes, this is another way of selecting something in PS.

Get the PEN TOOL, check de RUBBER BAND option in the top menu, and then trace your path around your subject, you can correct it, change it, etc. Then save it in the PATHS window, and then you can make a selection from it, and do a lot of things, and you will always have that path there so you can make changes later.

Try it.

Back