Photoshop: Pen Tool tutorial

As always another very clear well presented tutorial. Very informative thank you.

I don't know if it is me however but I have always struggled to see how this tool can be of real value in my PP. There are many tools which enable selections to be made in Photoshop and I find the others a lot less cumbersome.

I guess that it is not suited for me or my style of photography - portraits, animals and landscapes. Perhaps someone could tell me if I am missing a trick.

Last edited:
As always another very clear well presented tutorial. Very informative thank you.

I don't know if it is me however but I have always struggled to see how this tool can be of real value in my PP. There are many tools which enable selections to be made in Photoshop and I find the others a lot less cumbersome.

I guess that it is not suited for me or my style of photography - portraits, animals and landscapes. Perhaps someone could tell me if I am missing a trick.
Thank you Martin,
I agree: it is very useful in many situation, but not so much in portrait or animal, as it is not good in cutting out hair

In the early days of photoshop I used to make selections with the pen tool quite often. But in recent years hardly at all.
There are now quicker and easier options for selecting almost anything. It is now hardly a "photography tool" at all

In the early days of photoshop I used to make selections with the pen tool quite often. But in recent years hardly at all.
There are now quicker and easier options for selecting almost anything. It is now hardly a "photography tool" at all
Hi Terry,
I agree, it is not the most photographic tool, but in certain situation it gives fantastic situations.
As an example, it is great for cut outs of bald people... and also for man made objects (musical instrument, buildings)

Back