Photoshop question

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
When i crop an image and decide to extend the canvass it used to show the extension in white it has changed to black,i cant see where to change it back, any ideas please.

When you extend the canvas at the bottom of the Canvas Size dialog is where you choose the colour, labelled Canvas extension colour ... I believe it will remember the last colour you used, if not by default it will be the background colour.

When you extend the canvas at the bottom of the Canvas Size dialog is where you choose the colour, labelled Canvas extension colour ... I believe it will remember the last colour you used, if not by default it will be the background colour.

Thanks that could be why i didnt find it i dont use the dialog box,will look now.

Looks like i may be stuck with black,with not printing only forum and flickr display i just extend it to what i want to see with the crop tool,the dialog box now shows white but my way is still black.

Looks like i may be stuck with black,with not printing only forum and flickr display i just extend it to what i want to see with the crop tool,the dialog box now shows white but my way is still black.
Ah, now I see what you are doing :) - not sure why your getting black though, I'd have expected it to be transparent - sorry I can't help more.

Using the crop tool to extend the canvas (actually you're extending the layers) generates transparent pixels *unless* "delete cropped pixels" is selected. If delete cropped pixels is selected AND there is a locked layer labeled BG, it will generate a new BG layer filled with the BG color during the preview. Default colors (hit D) are black FG and white BG, they can be swapped by hitting X (before entering crop mode).
You're getting a black BG layer because your brush color (FG) is set to white... The preview layers are flattened when the crop is applied.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.25.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-02 at 11.41.48 AM.png

Last edited:
Don't know if it's the same as Elements 15, but when extending the canvas, there is an option in the 'canvas size' dialogue box to choose the canvas colour...

Using the crop tool to extend the canvas (actually you're extending the layers) generates transparent pixels *unless* "delete cropped pixels" is selected. If delete cropped pixels is selected AND there is a locked layer labeled BG, it will generate a new BG layer filled with the BG color during the preview. Default colors (hit D) are black FG and white BG, they can be swapped by hitting X (before entering crop mode).
You're getting a black BG layer because your brush color (FG) is set to white... The preview layers are flattened when the crop is applied.

View attachment 96941View attachment 96944

Thanks thats sorted it

Back