Photoshop twirl filter

S

stupar

Thanks to @Wolf_36 who showed of the filter in his thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photoshop-twirl-filter.652370/ I decided to give it a bash myself.

After finding a tutorial on Youtube I then trawled through the hard drive looking for suitable images, however every one that I tried just felt it was lacking. Finally I settled on an image with the twirl filter working out not too bad but decided to take it a step further and break the image into 4 layers which were all flipped against each other ro give perfect horizontal and vertical symmetry (I like symmetry!) before applying the filter.

So without further ado, this is the starting image

Pre twirl filter by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

and here is the final result

Post twirl filter by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

I hope you like and thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you using these filters Stuart?
I've been having a play and coming up with rubbish.

Im keeping well Frank, busy at work and with family life but keeping me on my toes.
How are you doing these days?
Going in for a new knee in 10 days. Clipped my wings a bit recently but hopefully I'll be charging all over again in a month or so.
Then SWMBO is putting me on a diet that will include no booze!!!

Going in for a new knee in 10 days. Clipped my wings a bit recently but hopefully I'll be charging all over again in a month or so.
Then SWMBO is putting me on a diet that will include no booze!!!
Best of luck with the knee replacement and wishing you a speedy recovery with hopefully not too much agro from the wife.

Wow. I've a lot to learn!
I took me a a while to suss it out Frank.
Top tip though. In order to get the Mezzotint option to work from the pixelate menu your image has to be in 8 bit format

Thanks Stuart.
Once I've had the op I'll be somewhat immobile so I can see lots of experimentation going on.

That is very nice Andy. Brilliant design and contrast between the colours

wow these are really good

are you making layers for individual swirls?

@Danny-K
The twirl filter can be done on a single layer. The use of multiple layers just aids the flow of symmetry and pattern building.

Back