Photoshopping Without Looking Photoshopped .

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend any good links / turtorials / books / guides to photoshop , specifically replacing the background of a photo ?

I'm looking at taking the subject out of a photo , and putting it into a new background , but I need hints / tips on how to make it look more natural and less photoshopped !

Good evening. It might be an idea to tell us what software and version you are using so those with the same software as you can help.

post the photo, to see if it's worth the effort

also, what isn't obviously photoshopped to one viewer, is to another.

Last edited:
photoshop CS6 , and I have quite a few that I'm doing / want to do , and it's something that I want to do more of also .

Basically I want to take a photo, cut out the subject (animal) and put them into a different background.

I know the basics obviously , light direction , temperature, perspective , angle ... but is there anything else to do to make the end result look more natural ?

If your interested in compositing backgrounds Erik Almas is the master IMO. Have his old DVD which is excellent he has a newer one through rggedu which is meant to be good and given other rggedu stuff should but I haven't seen it.

Can anyone recommend any good links / turtorials / books / guides to photoshop , specifically replacing the background of a photo ?

I'm looking at taking the subject out of a photo , and putting it into a new background , but I need hints / tips on how to make it look more natural and less photoshopped !

I have the Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers, by Martin Evening- cracking book

Les

photoshop CS6 , and I have quite a few that I'm doing / want to do , and it's something that I want to do more of also .

Basically I want to take a photo, cut out the subject (animal) and put them into a different background.

I know the basics obviously , light direction , temperature, perspective , angle ... but is there anything else to do to make the end result look more natural ?

I find it really difficult to make it look natural. Getting a good mask is just the first step. A very slight feather to the mask can help. As you say focal length and light need to match, but so do the apparent horizons of the two images - I think that's where a lot of composites fall down. Recreating the correct shadows is vital but tricky. Applying some toning to the composite can really help, e.g. one of the photographic toning gradient maps included with photoshop.

Back