Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

I was upstairs, wife in the kitchen. First we knew was when the power went off: I thought it was a powercut caused by the storm, but had heard the 'click' of the trip downstairs. An extension lead on the floor had filled with water & tripped the mains. We bailed like mad to stop the water reaching our kitchen (downstairs from the livingroom) and must have removed 100 litres of water at least last night. I got another 50 litres out this afternoon (and my wife more this morning) but the carpet is still completely sodden & ruined. *Think* everything else may actually be OK apart from a few books and a couple of speakers that were sat on the floor.

I was upstairs, wife in the kitchen. First we knew was when the power went off: I thought it was a powercut caused by the storm, but had heard the 'click' of the trip downstairs. An extension lead on the floor had filled with water & tripped the mains. We bailed like mad to stop the water reaching our kitchen (downstairs from the livingroom) and must have removed 100 litres of water at least last night. I got another 50 litres out this afternoon (and my wife more this morning) but the carpet is still completely sodden & ruined. *Think* everything else may actually be OK apart from a few books and a couple of speakers that were sat on the floor.

Horrible, I feel for you both ... was it at least relatively clean water?

What a mess! I can imagine how hard you had to work ... --- Years ago, a water pipe burst in a wall of my house, gradually seeping through and collecting on the lower floors.

When the pipe was fixed again, I used a de-humidifier-device which collects the moisture in the air of the rooms. I would recommend this, but you have one already running, I suppose ... ---

Went to Mainz-Lerchenberg/D to take pics for the brutalism thread. On the right of pic#1 (and on the left of pic#2) you see the headquarters of German State TV II :

L1002497_DxO-z18-8-c.jpg

L1002501_DxO-z18-8-c.jpg

L1002487_DxO-z18-8-c.jpg

L1002490_DxO-z18-8-c.jpg

L1002495_DxO-z18-8-c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Carpet out this morning, things are drying out now. :)

The water was just rain water run off, so brown but not despicable. We have a dehumidifier running this evening and dsome industrial sized units arriving Thursday. :)

To keep within the 'rules' - after taking up the carpet.

View attachment 290093
I feel for you knowing what it's like having had to make an insurance claim for flooding myself recently.
Water was coming up through the tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. Turned out to be the water pipes had corroded.
Built on a solid concrete base in 1964 the only remedy was to cut off the original pipes and have all new pipework fitted and running above ground.
Must say the insurance company dealt with it quickly and without a quibble - albeit the policy had a £600 excess in the event of this type of thing happening.

I feel for you knowing what it's like having had to make an insurance claim for flooding myself recently.
Water was coming up through the tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. Turned out to be the water pipes had corroded.
Built on a solid concrete base in 1964 the only remedy was to cut off the original pipes and have all new pipework fitted and running above ground.
Must say the insurance company dealt with it quickly and without a quibble - albeit the policy had a £600 excess in the event of this type of thing happening.

Thanks Graeme, I'm sure we'll be OK. Really grateful that we've not had large amounts of dirty standing water sat around for days, seeping into everything and stinking the place out. It doesn't even smell especially damp now downstairs.

Hi, went to NETTO's to recycle old glass. People queueing for fresh bread and rolls (I use my deep freezer) ... :

L1002571_DxO-z50p.jpg

Moving on :

L1002572_DxO-z50p.jpg

To the Rhein :

L1002576_DxO-z50p.jpg

To take bike pics :

D80_1632-n70.jpg

Time to get home :

L1002583_DxO-z50p-c.jpg

Next exit :

L1002587_DxO-z50p-c.jpg

web-5001.jpg
Took the 400 out to the Nisqually delta this morning. Pretty slow, wildlife-wise.

web-5187.jpg
Except for these two little fellas. I think they were waiting for their mom. I watched them for about 15 minutes and they never left their perch.

web-5060.jpg

web-5064.jpg
They took some incoming, but held their ground.

web-5123.jpg

web-5130.jpg

web-5133.jpg
More than once. Life can be hard in the wilderness.

web-5115.jpg
Sometimes you gotta be a little badass. An angry bird. Now where were we?

Last edited:
Hi, the other half of the shopping centre where I do my bi-weekly shopping :

DSC09980-nex5-z50p-8-c.jpg

Roses in the ALDI parking lot on the other side :

DSC09977-nex5-z50p-2.jpg

Hi, on the road ... :

L1022789_DxO-L21-8-c.jpg

... to Bingen. The old crane :

L1022800_DxO-L21-8-c.jpg

The view across the Rhein :

L1022802_DxO-L21-8.jpg

Looking downstream :

L1022803_DxO-L21-8.jpg

Silly tourists waiting for the ferry to Rüdesheim. Minimal distancing, few masks ... :

L1022804_DxO-L21-8-c.jpg

Where the Nahe flows into the Rhein :

L1022807_DxO-L21-8.jpg

Looking up the Nahe :

L1022809_DxO-L21-8-c.jpg

Celebrating a friend's birthday. - He is in poor health. So I drank Champagne to his health, hoping it helps :

L1022823_DxO-L28-28-c.jpg

Across the Rhein: Rüdesheim :

L1022832_DxO-L21-8-c.jpg

Rolling home ... :

L1022833_DxO-L21-8.jpg

Back