Picked up the camera again

Name
martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, its been a while since i picked up the camera from going to motorsports. I now use it for when my son if playing golf tournaments. When going thro them in PS or LR i use a lot of Noise reduction to get rid of the grainy effect. Any tips greatly appreciated. Using a canon 5MkIII and a 70-200f4 sometimes with a 1.4 extender.

CB9A9733 by martin, on Flickr

_B9A9988 by martin, on Flickr

_B9A0567 by martin, on Flickr

_B9A0611 by martin, on Flickr

CB9A9489 by martin, on Flickr

Last edited:
An odd one from the back is OK but I dont see the point of all these from the back of the player.. So my tip/advice ? is more from the front or side.

You've stopped the motion and whilst we all know theres movement the photo doesn't portray that. Try a slower shutter speed so you see the movement of the body and club. A photo from the side would show this off nicely. Just something I would do myself is all.

Last edited:
You've stopped the motion and whilst we all know theres movement the photo doesn't portray that. Try a slower shutter speed so you see the movement of the body and club. A photo from the side would show this off nicely. Just something I would do myself is all.

Erm..... No.

An odd one from the back is OK but I dont see the point of all these from the back of the player.. So my tip/advice ? is more from the front or side.
Cheers, i did have a lot more of the other players and ones from the front etc but once the people that run the comps I delete them. Next time i post a more varied selection.

Cheers Yoshi, bit didn't think the blur of motion would work with golf and have never tried it. I use the high shutter speed for to freeze the shot as it they were in a bunker with the sand blast or ball impact on the grass i think it would be better frozen. But i'll give it go and see but tbh i havent seen many show the movement like that but i can try it one night. I start at 1200 and step it down and see.

Cheers Yoshi, bit didn't think the blur of motion would work with golf and have never tried it. I use the high shutter speed for to freeze the shot as it they were in a bunker with the sand blast or ball impact on the grass i think it would be better frozen. But i'll give it go and see but tbh i havent seen many show the movement like that but i can try it one night. I start at 1200 and step it down and see.

I dont mean a really slow shutter speed so it's all jumbled. I just mean something that's just a tad slower to capture a little movement. For example look at the photo below. It could have been done in post but it gives you the sense of motion instead of a static shot. It's the same with cars etc. You pan and the crown etc is blurred showing the cars moving fast but the cars static in the image.

Also if you Google golf photography and look at images then you'll see quite a lot of pictures with just slight movement in them and IMO it adds something to the photo. Of course, it's entirely up to yourself what you want to do and like so it's just an idea to experiment with. You could even try an add some motion in post. Either way just play around with thing. Try different speeds and angles etc and you'll find something you like. Good luck.

View: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/31666003616386598/

Last edited:
I dont mean a really slow shutter speed so it's all jumbled. I just mean something that's just a tad slower to capture a little movement. For example look at the photo below. It could have been done in post but it gives you the sense of motion instead of a static shot. It's the same with cars etc. You pan and the crown etc is blurred showing the cars moving fast but the cars static in the image.

Also if you Google golf photography and look at images then you'll see quite a lot of pictures with just slight movement in them and IMO it adds something to the photo. Of course, it's entirely up to yourself what you want to do and like so it's just an idea to experiment with. You could even try an add some motion in post. Either way just play around with thing. Try different speeds and angles etc and you'll find something you like. Good luck.

View: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/31666003616386598/
Cheers, i'll get out next time my son is playing or practicing and try stepping the shutter down a step at a time and see what i can get to that. post them when i get them

Also if you Google golf photography and look at images then you'll see quite a lot of pictures with just slight movement in them and IMO it adds something to the photo.

If you actually bothered to look at the posted photos properly, you might notice that at 1/1000th they already have motion blur in the club head and the ball.

Drop down to 1/800th or 1/640th and you'll introduce significant body motion which will not only look bad but seem like an error.

As an aside, Tony wrote exact what I would have done, so why retype it rather than just echoing his suggestion?

If you actually bothered to look at the posted photos properly, you might notice that at 1/1000th they already have motion blur in the club head and the ball.

Drop down to 1/800th or 1/640th and you'll introduce significant body motion which will not only look bad but seem like an error.

As an aside, Tony wrote exact what I would have done, so why retype it rather than just echoing his suggestion?

Well I did actually look and it doesn't provide any real feel of movement in the image which is what my posts state. I simply was providing ideas of things to try because that's what photography is about yeah? - In case you know it all brain doesn't understand what photography is. So why don't you go back in your little box and stop taking over someone's thread just so you can inflate your pompous ego and learn that other people have opinions and thats ok. Dont reply to me again.

Last edited:
Well I did actually look and it doesn't provide any real feel of movement in the image which is what my posts state. I simply was providing ideas of things to try because that's what photography is about yeah? - In case you know it all brain doesn't understand what photography is. So why don't you go back in your little box and stop taking over someone's thread just so you can inflate your pompous ego and learn that other people have opinions and thats ok. Dont reply to me again.

It isn't a question of opinion, it's one of experience. Your advice is poor. Slow shutter speed will work well in motor sports and some other areas, they can also be used to
decent effect in golf if tightly controlled and with limited use; ie the odd shot for artistic impression. That isn't what you were suggesting.

It isn't a question of opinion, it's one of experience. Your advice is poor. Slow shutter speed will work well in motor sports and some other areas, they can also be used to
decent effect in golf if tightly controlled and with limited use; ie the odd shot for artistic impression. That isn't what you were suggesting.

Boring and clearly can't read. I'll bow out before I lower myself to your level.

Last edited:
_B9A0477 by martin, on Flickr
CB9A9033 by martin, on Flickr
This one is excellent - I've generally found that pro golfers hold their pose at the completion of their swing - When I started photographing golf I was firing off a burst at a very high shutter speed (2000th+) just after they hit the ball - the pic that nearly always looked best was them holding that pose (as you've got here) same applies to any club they are hitting, and they are stationary for a moment at that point so you don't need as high a shutter speed - it's also usually a more pleasing shot if you are a fair bit ahead of them shooting back at them playing the shot - though that's much harder to accomplish shooting with a 70-200 instead of a 400/500/600mm.

This one is excellent - I've generally found that pro golfers hold their pose at the completion of their swing - When I started photographing golf I was firing off a burst at a very high shutter speed (2000th+) just after they hit the ball - the pic that nearly always looked best was them holding that pose (as you've got here) same applies to any club they are hitting, and they are stationary for a moment at that point so you don't need as high a shutter speed - it's also usually a more pleasing shot if you are a fair bit ahead of them shooting back at them playing the shot - though that's much harder to accomplish shooting with a 70-200 instead of a 400/500/600mm.
Cheers Davie, im usually shooting about 1250 but did lower it to 1000 with previous comments to try it. I had a 70-200 f4 but had just traded it in for a f2.8 plus i have a 1.4 extender. Im hoping its here for the weekend as theres another event on Sunday.
hopefully one i can get a 400/500/600. or possibly since im getting the 2.8 i could get the x2 extender ?

Cheers Davie, im usually shooting about 1250 but did lower it to 1000 with previous comments to try it. I had a 70-200 f4 but had just traded it in for a f2.8 plus i have a 1.4 extender. Im hoping its here for the weekend as theres another event on Sunday.
hopefully one i can get a 400/500/600. or possibly since im getting the 2.8 i could get the x2 extender ?
I'd stick with the 1.4 if it's a version iii - they are excellent - I wouldn't bother with the x2 - I've got one of each but the x2 only gets very occasional use - I don't see any loss of quality with the x1.4 but I dow its the x2.

Here's some of my golf pics if you'd like some reference material - link

Did you say your son plays on the European tour?

I'd stick with the 1.4 if it's a version iii - they are excellent - I wouldn't bother with the x2 - I've got one of each but the x2 only gets very occasional use - I don't see any loss of quality with the x1.4 but I dow its the x2.

i wish he did, he's only 14. the european sign was at a recent Faldo junior series event. I took the pic with the sign as a one day if you work hard you could make it.
its the verion ii i have of the 1.4.
i'll have a look at the link just now, cheers for that.

Had a look at your pics, see what you mean about the last bit of the swing when they pause.

Back