Picture frames

Name
Ravinder Bindra
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Merry Christmas.

Recently, I’ve sold a handful of my landscape prints framed to friends that have purchased them for Christmas gifts. I got the prints but needed a place to frame the, for me.

A couple of months ago, I popped down to my high street and inside the market is a guy that makes frames. I went to get a quote and he said it would be about £30 for a typical 24X16 size. I popped down a couple of weeks ago to get some frames made up - for a 28X20 print and a 24X18 print. These cost £55 and £45. Now, I only charged £95 for each of my photos thinking the frames would be around the £30 mark....I only made around £20 profit on each pictures which I was disappointed with. Partly, my fault I know.
Is this about the right price for these frames? And the price of the images? Where do you get your frames done and how much should one expect to pay?

Thanks.

I’ve started using some of these for my exhibitions.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/black-picture-frame-40-x-50-cm/590518-1000

£15 a pop instead of the near £30 for the custom made ones I also have which look very similar.

While a really nice frame and mount can set the image off nicely, the customer is primarily paying for the image not the frame, so the way I see it is that the frame shouldn’t cost more than the photo. Sure the materials for the frame cost far more, but the value is in the photo and should be priced accordingly.

I only supply pictures in cheapish ready made frames. They look fine if you do not actually examine the frame and, if the buyer is that fussy, they can get a custom frame made to suit their tastes.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps, I need to look for some ready made frames then that I can buy off the shelf to make fit.

I'm a framer, my cheapest frame starts at about £17. My frames are all custom built, bespoke and made to fit.

£17 is my starting point, but the sky is the limit, the biggest costing factor is the moulding and then the size. Bespoke frames will never be cheap but they will last a lifetime (100 years+ infact) and so will the artwork within.

I got two pictures mounted and framed from this shop. A 28 x 20" image and 24 x 18". The frame were the cheaper 1" once. Silver on the inside of the framd and black on the outside. £55 for the bigger one and £45 for the smaller one. They do look good, I havd to admit but I guess the problem is then trying to pass that cost or including it in the selling price of the image or looking to get a cheaper frame elsewhere...

Back