Critique Picture of a photo with decor.

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Something different from my normal photography and is a lot of trial and error. This is a picture of my wife's parents, John and Ede when they were married in 1942. The poppy is a ceramic one from the "Blood Swept Lands" display, and the floral display is made in Thailand from soap. Its something they leave on memorial stones for relatives who have passed away.

I started out with no ideas and slowly built up the set as it took my fancy. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on composition, the general idea, and the processing.

TJS_4926John & Ede memorial 1024 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
C & C Welcome

Whilst not wishing to down talk the subject and what I'm guessing to be the sentiment behind the image I'm afraid it does nothing for me.

It's just a group of objects with a memorial theme that's have been put together.

Personally I'd consider a "less is more" approach to the subject matter.

Thanks for your honesty Martin, I appreciate your thoughts. I am not artistic on this type of thing, and yes, some of the items mean something to me, so I found it difficult to decide what to add or take away. You seeing it in cold light is different to me not seeing the wood for the trees. Time for a rethink (y)

Trev if you like it that all that matters (y)

On a less sentimental note I was desperate to take a picture or two yesterday and ended up trying to get my 'coffee making corner' because I wasn't well enough to get out. The end net result was one shot of a bottle of Tesco skimmed milk and I thought what am I doing taking this subject matter but there is something about it I like. Weirdo taste me.

But I do agree with Martin if you intend to reshoot I reckon less could well be better with a bit more twiddling the composition and angles :)

Trev, I must admit I'm terrible for doing a similar thing as you've done - basically I tend to throw everything but the kitchen sink at things - now, for some still life stuff, it works - if you're trying to recreate one of the Old Dutch "banketje" peices for example, where the table would be groaning with food and "blingy" table ornamentation. But, I think in this case, it's certainly a case of "less is more" - personally I'd have lost the candles, both the one in the glass and the one RH of frame in the ornate holder. Instead as a piece of foreground interest, perhaps (say) campaign medals/ribbons may have worked...

A rule of thumb I'm trying to apply is to say "why is that there, and how does it help me tell the story" - so, for example, while (now you've explained it) the "floral display" is a Thai remembrance thing (small r - not necessarily the "military" connotation) I'm not sure where the Thai aspect comes into the story... Now if it'd been that his service was in the far east, it makes a little sense - however, there's no other clue - and if you hadn't said, I'm afraid I'm too much of a philistine to realise it's relevance as a remembrance token.

To be honest though, A Wedding shot of A Soldier in Uniform, with a Poppy by the foot of the frame pretty much tells all the story anyone needs to hear...

Thanks for your honesty Martin, I appreciate your thoughts. I am not artistic on this type of thing, and yes, some of the items mean something to me, so I found it difficult to decide what to add or take away. You seeing it in cold light is different to me not seeing the wood for the trees. Time for a rethink (y)

Thanks for your understanding of my post. I mean no disrespect to those in the photograph. My father was in the RAF during the war, regiment rather than flight crew, and married my mum in 1939.

Alas neither of them are with us any longer.

I do like the previous poster's idea of s lone poppy or perhaps campaign medals or ribbons. That would work a treat in my humble opinion.

All the best.

Thanks to you all for your comments and thoughts. I can understand what your saying, and yes, the temptation is to throw everything in. Taking everything on board that you have said, I have some ideas now and am going to have another play.
Cheers guys, its appreciated (y)

Back