Piece Hall in Halifax

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Some from a walk round the newly refurbished Piece Hall in Halifax , it was where "pieces" of cloth woven in the local area were sold in the late 1700,s

p2464647734-4.jpg

p2464648059-4.jpg

p2464647737-4.jpg

p2464648110-4.jpg

p2464648222-4.jpg

Lots of potential here. In general all could do with straightening and/or perspective correction.

1) - needed to be a little lower & looking up a bit more to get the top of the tower & put the people nearer the bottom of the frame.

2) - Shooting from a lower position still to emphasise the structure in the floor & lead to the steps would help.

3) - Correcting distortion would help, and it's a shame that the speaker top left is in frame.

4) - strongest shot here. After straightening I'd probably up the contrast & drop saturation a little.

5) - This type of shot realy needs to be straight & square, but I'm not sure the lead lines & vanishing point are strong enough to compete with the ugly skyline.

Hope that's useful.

Last edited:
Yes you are quite correct, this was a day out in Halifax with SWMBO, but having been I will go back armed with tripod ,TS-E and a lot more time and hopefully less people when all the kids are back at school

You could just straighten these in post. :)

Yes but there is no point in having a £1500 lens and not using it for what is was designed for and this place is made for it,plus I should be able to get some great effects using the tilt function

What lens were you using, the place looks huge? Nice to see the place smartened up I think but I wonder how they are going to use it as it seems a shame to have lost that big open space to that elevated section. Have they improved the retail units, they were always too small for many businesses to thrive?

What lens were you using, the place looks huge? Nice to see the place smartened up I think but I wonder how they are going to use it as it seems a shame to have lost that big open space to that elevated section. Have they improved the retail units, they were always too small for many businesses to thrive?

Fuji 10-24.
It is big, Its so long since I went I had forgotten how big it was, but there is a bit of a distorting effect from the lens ' its why I like using it!
I hope the retail units survive, although the top floor appears to be being used as offices so hopefully it will prosper and be around for a few more years

Back