Pied Wagtail Feeding Fledgling.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I debated putting this in 'Photos For Pleasure' as it's not an award winner by any means but it does tell a lovely story.

Scouting the kingfisher yesterday and noticed a lot of pied wagtail activity just down stream. I thought to myself, what better place to sit and watch kingfisher flybys than with the wagtails. I wasn't dressed for the occasion either, white T shirt and shorts, so I was sticking out like a sore thumb (the intention was just to look for potential KF fishing posts, not take photos) but I managed to make use of some tall grass and other fauna and the wagtails soon settled in and gave me a show.

Taken with the M5 and 150-600C, quite a portable and not horrendously heavy combination, ideal for walkaround recce outings.

Despite being dressed as I was, I also managed to find what I think is the KF fishing post. Long story short, I've been trying to nail it down for weeks and failing but yesterday, with no camo on, I followed a flyby downstream. I lost sight of the KF but could hear it. I must've walked right past it as I could hear it in front of me, then it was behind me. I hid again as best I could and after a few minutes, a KF perched about 15 metres from me, then unbelievably, another one perched too almost right next to the first KF. My camera was on the floor and I had to freeze, so no pics but a possible breakthrough. It could've been an adult and a young bird, I find it strange that both parents would be so far (about 1/2 kilometer) from the nest in the same place, unless the fishing there is good. I have to be careful just incase it's a nest site, that I wouldn't be licenced at but I don't think it is as it's still within the territory of the nest I am licenced at.

IMG_0306 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Great capture, Dale. A moment in time..as you say and telling the story of this time of year.

Very nice Dale- I had the chance to photograph some Dippers doing the same thing a few days back

Les :)

Back