Pillars (Bellever forest)

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
There was only a hint of mist in the air so I ditched my plan to go Wistmans and went to Bellever Forest instead. Bellever has some clear areas of Pine but they are quite hard to find at times with new trees coming down on a regular basis. This was probably the best of the images that morning which was shot on the outskirts of the woodland with some soft sidelight hitting the front few trees.

Pillars - Dartmoor Pine Project by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like this one, it`s got depth to it and it`s a interesting and uninteresting shot at the same time, iv`e got no idea how to explain that though (maybe it`s just me)

Love the tones, composition, mossy floor and colours of this Neil. Only thing for me is there's a slight 'crunchiness' to the image, when normally your images have a soft smoothness.

Love that. Great image :)
Thanks Lee

Love the tones, composition, mossy floor and colours of this Neil. Only thing for me is there's a slight 'crunchiness' to the image, when normally your images have a soft smoothness.
Cheers Toni. That's interesting regarding the 'crunchiness', I dont see it myself personally, but I will double-check the file on my home monitor tonight.

EDIT:
Hmm looking on the larger flickr image at work it's a possibility that the vignette applied has darkened the blacks too far on the right edge especially. I'll look at it later and tweak it if that's the case.

Last edited:
Fantastic image - very atmospheric
wow, how do you do that!!
I must have came back to this about 15 times now. It draws you in, makes you stare in wonder. Incredible image Neil.
I keep looking for something that's not there then sit pondering and staring into the trees waiting for whatever it is to happen. Love it, a simple image full of mystery.

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

That's a stunning woodland shot. Forest and woodland is a subject I have often tried and usually failed with!

Beautiful image.
The soft subtle lighting shows great detail, whilst the light fall-off into shadow gives depth.

Cracking shot Neil. Beautifully composed and executed. Wonderful atmosphere to it. ....The moss, of course, is SO Dartmoor. I love photographing woodland and trees, and am always drawn to Dartmoor's woodland areas, especially around Burrator - though have yet to visit Wistmans! ...... I think it's because, with Wistmans, I wouldn't be able to produce anything that has not already been captured by other togs (and no doubt better than I could!). ;):confused:

Missed this first time around, so pleased its resurfaced. What a dramatic image, you could almost get lost looking into the depths of that forest.

Last edited:
Back