Pintail

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Male Pintail taken at Slimbridge last week..Quite a striking duck and amongst my favourites

oj4ied.jpg

Love seeing these around now, colour looks a bit cool and it's a bit tight in the frame but the 'pose' is very typical of the species. :)

Male Pintail taken at Slimbridge last week..Quite a striking duck and amongst my favourites

oj4ied.jpg

Nice 'specimen' picture though as Gramps infers might need a tad of extra PP, as you have editing "yes" here is a quick levels tweak to lift it and dab of sharpening ;) More could be done from the full size (raw?) file. I have hosted it to post it, please say if/when I should remove it?

oj4ied_edit.jpg

A nice pose John, and some good details throughout. Where it struggles is in the dark tones which are underexposed. You can't just raise the whole exposure though because you'll blow the white breast feathers.

If you have PS, then do a curves layer adjustment, and just raise the dark tones. It should make a nice difference, something along these lines but to your taste.

If you prefer lightroom, then either pushing the shadows slider to the right or go to the tone curve, pick a point about 1/4 of the way in from the left and drag the line upwards will do a similar thing.

Mike

john--c6-pintailRP.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input.

Love seeing these around now, colour looks a bit cool and it's a bit tight in the frame but the 'pose' is very typical of the species. :)

Roger..I've now changed the WB setting to give it a warmer tone and also opened it up a bit to give more room.

Nice 'specimen' picture though as Gramps infers might need a tad of extra PP, as you have editing "yes" here is a quick levels tweak to lift it and dab of sharpening ;) More could be done from the full size (raw?) file. I have hosted it to post it, please say if/when I should remove it?

No need to remove it,that's fine, thanks. I do shoot in RAW. I think a lot of photos in this forum as opposed to than Landscapes fall short on editing so it's an area needing more scrutiny on my part.

A nice pose John, and some good details throughout. Where it struggles is in the dark tones which are underexposed. You can't just raise the whole exposure though because you'll blow the white breast feathers.

If you have PS, then do a curves layer adjustment, and just raise the dark tones. It should make a nice difference, something along these lines but to your taste.

If you prefer lightroom, then either pushing the shadows slider to the right or go to the tone curve, pick a point about 1/4 of the way in from the left and drag the line upwards will do a similar thing.

Mike

Cheers,Mike. I've hopefully made the adjustments suggested and have lightened it up some. I don't have PS but LR4 at the moment so I upped the shadows. We're about to get a new computer and I''ll get LR6. My wife gave me a 7D11 and LR4 won't accept the photos so I was about to get the DVD version of LR6 only I find out that the current 27"iMac (I have version 10.8.5 which is about 5 years old now) has done away with DVD slots. Has to be Apple Cloud-based or buy an £80 external DVD drive. Expensive 7D11..lol. I'm taking photos with my 1D1V at present.

Here's my re-adjusted image . Hope this has improved it to the above standards or somewhere near at least.
24xgy7n.jpg

Last edited:
John,

I don't know how much PP work you do, but maybe consider using DPP4 that comes with the camera to open the RAW then send it to LR for specific adjustments - might save you a few quid.

Mike

John,

I don't know how much PP work you do, but maybe consider using DPP4 that comes with the camera to open the RAW then send it to LR for specific adjustments - might save you a few quid.

Mike

Mike..I've now seen the 'click to expand' option at the bottom of my post so what I thought was lost was,infact only hidden. It's not there now but I think it's in pale blue text so I overlooked it.

Thanks for the DPP4 suggestion but we really do need a new iMac now. The screen has a couple of areas with a shadow and I have to move an image to ensure it's the screen and not the photo. 5/6 year for a computer is old, I'm told. Also, my wife and I share this one and as she doesn't do photography so she will have this one and I'll have the new one. I have LR4 and LR6 is much more advanced so that needs upgrading too. Also I think it has a cloning tool. At the moment I have to transfer my photos to Elements 11 for any cloning that's required so I bought it just for the clone tool. I wouldn't use 98% of the full version of Photoshop, I think a lot of it is for those who like to be creative. Well, at least the photo was ok this time. Just needs some extra editing.

Was my re-edited version any better ? I really don't mind if you don 't think it was so please feel free to say so.

Great pic John:clap::clap::clap: and a lesson in PP too :clap: well worth the visit to the Thread:)

This thread epitomizes what i have found since recently joining this community - People taking the time to help each other in many different ways.Thank you all.

Agree with comments about the picture,but they are bonnie birds!

Great pic John:clap::clap::clap: and a lesson in PP too :clap: well worth the visit to the Thread:)

Many thanks,Charles. I think I'll put this duck at the top of my favourites list. It seems to have a class about it. :)

This thread epitomizes what i have found since recently joining this community - People taking the time to help each other in many different ways.Thank you all.

Agree with comments about the picture,but they are bonnie birds!

Thanks,John.I got there in the end, just need too sort out my computer and LR6 now..:)

The RP is a nice improvement John. To me it shows warmer tones than the OP and better detail in the darks.

If you've got PSE then that does 99% of what we need until you go down the 'creative' photography route, so as long as LR6 supports your RAWs then that looks like a good option.

Mike

The RP is a nice improvement John. To me it shows warmer tones than the OP and better detail in the darks.

If you've got PSE then that does 99% of what we need until you go down the 'creative' photography route, so as long as LR6 supports your RAWs then that looks like a good option.

Mike

Cheers,Mike.

Yes, all the Lightroom's support RAW. I'll get LR6 even though I have Elements because the forte of LR is the cataloguing,it's excellent and I'm very familiar with it.

Back