Pitchside laptop screen size

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Looing for a change.. Thinking this? seems to ahve everyhting i need with the good screen res.. but wonderng if 12.5 inch too small.. currently using 15.4 but that is very big

Dell Latitude 12 7275 FHD Intel M5 128GB SSD 4GB RAM 12 Inch Laptop/Tablet Hybrid

Processor: Intel Core Intel M5-6Y57
Memory: 4GB DDR3L @1600MHz
Storage: 128GB Solid State Drive
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 515
Display: 12.5″ FHD Gorilla Glass Display
Optimal Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Optical Drive: N/A
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64
Network: Intel AC8260, Bluetooth, Sim Card Slot
Power: 30 Watt Slim Line A/C Adapter
Webcam: HD webcam w/ Mic
Audio: Onboard
Keyboard Layout: UK/Irish
External Ports: USB 3.1 Type-C (2), SD 4.0 Card Reader, Headphone Jack, Docking Port

I've tried all from 13inch to 17inch (when MacBook Pro was still made that size )
Think I've now settled for the 15inch models...

For the 13inch models I had - I just personally felt there wasn't enough screen space for me.
But them again, I do need mine sometimes on longer trips as well... so places different requirements for the usage.

I have on occasional games used my iPad Pro for editing and sending photos from games..
It has been doable - but would not fancy that for long term.

I have a Dell Lattitude E7440, 2 years old now with 1 year business warranty left. I upgraded the memory to 16GB. It has a built in sim card module, 14 inch screen, don't use it pitch side as I don't do footy but I do use it to send images in whilst on location if need be. The decider for me was the weight............or lack of it, I was hacked off carrying a heavy laptop about. Runs photoshop etc ok.
It was £831 two years ago, dropped from a launch price of just over £1500 :jawdrop:

I have a Dell Lattitude E7440, 2 years old now with 1 year business warranty left. I upgraded the memory to 16GB. It has a built in sim card module, 14 inch screen, don't use it pitch side as I don't do footy but I do use it to send images in whilst on location if need be. The decider for me was the weight............or lack of it, I was hacked off carrying a heavy laptop about. Runs photoshop etc ok.
It was £831 two years ago, dropped from a launch price of just over £1500 :jawdrop:

Juts had a quick look.. refurb £695 . Istyours 1920x1080 thats my biggy spec at the moment.. 14"" sounds good..... thanks :)

I've tried all from 13inch to 17inch (when MacBook Pro was still made that size )
Think I've now settled for the 15inch models...

For the 13inch models I had - I just personally felt there wasn't enough screen space for me.
But them again, I do need mine sometimes on longer trips as well... so places different requirements for the usage.

I have on occasional games used my iPad Pro for editing and sending photos from games..
It has been doable - but would not fancy that for long term.

decided against such a small screen.. the model i listed didnt hav standard usb so that fell over.... looking about 14" then but do need 1902x1080 its a minefield out there... instead of looking at hundreds of laptops online i thought maybe better askign what everyone else has :)

I use 13" MacBook Air - I've got a 15" MacBook pro (2013 model) as well but wouldn't think of using it pitch side except in an emergency - weight and size difference for carting about seems enormous

Oh yeagh sorry.. Deffo NOT a mac :) Had one once.. didn't get on with it at all so PC only :)

Juts had a quick look.. refurb £695 . Istyours 1920x1080 thats my biggy spec at the moment.. 14"" sounds good..... thanks :)

The screen will go to 1920 x 1080 but text is too small for me, I have it at 1280 x 720.
It also has a backlit keyboard which is handy in the winter

The screen will go to 1920 x 1080 but text is too small for me, I have it at 1280 x 720.
It also has a backlit keyboard which is handy in the winter

Backlit KB is another spec I want.. pitchside nighttime is a nightmare without... 1920x1080 for pixel peeping.. cant you just up the font size in CP ?

The new Dell XPS is a 15 inch screen but the laptop is the size of a normal 14inch. Depends on how much you want to pay however.

Don't forget to consider battery life as well. A large capacity battery might be a good idea.

Only need a couple of hrs battery life.. I have a 9hr battery on the current dell.. its basically football pitchside use only..

decided against such a small screen.. the model i listed didnt hav standard usb so that fell over.... looking about 14" then but do need 1902x1080 its a minefield out there... instead of looking at hundreds of laptops online i thought maybe better askign what everyone else has :)

You could specify your specs and use something like pricerunner.co.uk to see what's available...
Guessing you have the specs in mind... 6gb ram, 128gb ssd, 14' screen, 1920x1080 resolution.... and so on.

As you know... I am a Mac user.. so useless at giving advice on which PC to go for

Good luck in the hunt!

You could specify your specs and use something like pricerunner.co.uk to see what's available...
!

As its ONLY use will be pitchside and not even at every match (so maybe a couple of times a month) then I want to keep the price down and go for refurb or trusted used..

I think my one is a better spec

ueQwZRa.jpg

As its ONLY use will be pitchside and not even at every match (so maybe a couple of times a month) then I want to keep the price down and go for refurb or trusted used..

But you can always search for the specs over there.. and then look for it 2nd hand/Refurb .. :)
Not sure of how things are these days.. but a while back Ebay was always the first point of call when I looked for 2nd hand stuff... not maybe so these days anymore (at least not with the experiences I've had there personally selling/buying electronics)

I don't photograph football, and use a Mac, but still may be able to contribute.

I often have to quickly cull, edit and upload while out and about. For this I mainly use a 13" MacBook Pro Retina with 256GB flash storage SSD. It's reasonably light, and the screen size is sufficient with the resolution off default to gain a little more real estate. Importantly, the screen is the best I've used outside. For some time Apple kit hasn't had ejectable batteries. Should really invest in a suitable power bank. Things to consider with a PC laptop would be weight, screen, storage and battery life. I hear good things about Dell, and use a Dell 27" display with my 15" MacBook Pro. The Dell XPS13 mentioned above looks very nice, and has the ports missing from the new MacBook Pro's.

The Dell XPS13 is a nice piece of kit. Nice screen, very high resolution, narrow bezel so it makes the most of the space. Also, light as well.

might be too much machine for my needs? ... looks the business though :)

I don't photograph football, and use a Mac, but still may be able to contribute.

I often have to quickly cull, edit and upload while out and about. For this I mainly use a 13" MacBook Pro Retina with 256GB flash storage SSD. It's reasonably light, and the screen size is sufficient with the resolution off default to gain a little more real estate. Importantly, the screen is the best I've used outside. For some time Apple kit hasn't had ejectable batteries. Should really invest in a suitable power bank. Things to consider with a PC laptop would be weight, screen, storage and battery life. I hear good things about Dell, and use a Dell 27" display with my 15" MacBook Pro. The Dell XPS13 mentioned above looks very nice, and has the ports missing from the new MacBook Pro's.

its not going to be my first laptop : ).. I ahve a 15.5 inch dell now..its seen its best days and is a bit big... looking at 13 to 14 inch screen i think.. one i first listed decided too small as well as other things..

the search goes on :)

I have been using a 10yrs old IBM (Lenovo) x61 (£75 off ebay) for the last 3yrs to edit caption and transmit photos pitchside there is no need for high spec laptop to run PM and editing software (yes I know you don't want to hear that).

I use the X61 because it has the thouroughly sensable and practicle 4:3 ratio, Matt 12" screen that does not suffer from small fonts and wasted space at the sides. The problem with it is that the screen is not bright enough on sunny days but thats all.

So I am trying Lenovo X230 this season because it has the high brightness any angle IPS screen. I also noticed some of the big agencies using them.

I could not hate the wide screen anymore than I do it is crap. That has been the biggest problem I have found, trying to get another practicle sensible laptop for photography. There is a need beyoned desperation for someone to produce a laptop with a 4:3 ratio screen.

The Lenovo X230 secondhand off ebay was under £250. USB3, intel i5 2.6ghz, 8gb ram and IPS screen,mine has the keyboard light. Backlit keyboards are available to buy for about £20 new. There is no need to spend anything like £500 for a laptop for pitchside work.

X61.jpg

Note the Matt screens to reduce glare.

Just look at all the wasted space on the wide screen. I despair!

Last edited:
I have been using a 10yrs old IBM (Lenovo) x61 (£75 off ebay) for the last 3yrs to edit caption and transmit photos pitchside there is no need for high spec laptop to run PM and editing software (yes I know you don't want to hear that).

I use the X61 because it has the thouroughly sensable and practicle 4:3 ratio, Matt 12" screen that does not suffer from small fonts and wasted space at the sides. The problem with it is that the screen is not bright enough on sunny days but thats all.

So I am trying Lenovo X230 this season because it has the high brightness any angle IPS screen. I also noticed some of the big agencies using them.

I could not hate the wide screen anymore than I do it is crap. That has been the biggest problem I have found, trying to get another practicle sensible laptop for photography. There is a need beyoned desperation for someone to produce a laptop with a 4:3 ratio screen.

The Lenovo X230 secondhand off ebay was under £250. USB3, intel i5 2.6ghz, 8gb ram and IPS screen,mine has the keyboard light. Backlit keyboards are available to buy for about £20 new. There is no need to spend anything like £500 for a laptop for pitchside work.

View attachment 106137

Note the Matt screens to reduce glare.

Just look at all the wasted space on the wide screen. I despair!

sorry only just seen this

I wasnt looking for top end spec.. i did want higher resolution for my eyes so i can see if pics are up to scratch and i did want backlit keyboard

i now have anew laptop as my wife got me one for my borthday :) with both those things and yes loads of wasted space on wide screen... but it ticks all the bxes.. its also a lenovo :)

Waht did you get?

lenovo ideapad 510

as i say it was a prezzie so i didnt have any input as it was a suprise prezzy.. wife had picked up on a few things (correctly) and bout this one... she knows i ponder too long as i dont like spending money haha

Back