Wales Places to Visit North Wales

Name
Andy Needham
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Afternoon All,

I am new to photography and looking at new places in the North Wales area?
Unfortunately I sure with a really bad knee so hiking up Snowdon is out of the question until i can build my fitness up enough (Summer goals)

Can anyone make a suggestions of places to go for great landscape photography or any great POI's to vist

Thanks in advance

I don't know what your budget is, or quite how mobile you are, but you could perhaps have a look at Portmeirion on the internet and see what you think? Most visitor attractions have info on routes and their suitability for people with mobility issues on their websites these days, so you could always look at that and see if it would be any help to you in choosing where to go?

I've not been to Portmeirion for many years, but aside from the landscapes of the Italian style village itself, I seem to remember there were some nice views of the estuary and mountains from round there. Anyway, have a look and see what you think, I'm sure some others on here can say if they think it might suit your or not. (y)

http://www.visitwales.com/explore/north-wales/snowdonia-mountains-coast/portmeirion-must-do

Last edited:
Caernarvon castle, Anglesey boat trip and coast lines.

A few suggestions that involve some walking but not too far, all for landscape. Swallow Falls, near Betws y Coed; Cwm Idwal; beach at Newborough or Dinas Dinlle; lagoons at Llanberis ('that tree'); car park with view of Snowdon at the top of Nant Gwynant; path to S and W of Llyn Dinas; Penmon on Angelsey; South Stack; classic view of Snowdon from Llynnau Mymbyr. These are all north North Wales - is that where you're heading?

Yeah, these are great suggestions thank you, I'm Flintshire area so these are a nice day outs journey

Yeah, these are great suggestions thank you, I'm Flintshire area so these are a nice day outs journey

The countryside around Llangollan, and the Vale of Clwyd between Ruthin and Corwen, takes some beating on a sunny day, as does the area around Bala, plus there's some good photo opportunities around the towns themselves. So you're only a shortish drive from some of the nicest landscapes in Britain.

Last edited:
If you don't mind a quick purchase first I've got this book and find it very useful.

Thanks for the recommendation Matt... one of the main criteria when I was working on the North wales book was to include as many easily accessed areas as possible so there should be plenty of coverage to suit Andy's requirements.... plenty of suggestions around North East Wales too, live there myself so had to be included :)

Simon

I live in flint ,the whole area is heaving In locations depending on your needs ,castles ,flint,Conway,Denbigh,rhuddlan ,ewloe etc ,the duke of Lancaster at greenfield ,plenty of woodland walks in the area .chester is within easy reach and is very photogenic to,there’s also the boat museum at Ellesmere Port .if you give of a idea of your tastes I,m sure plenty more ideas will appear

+1 for Simons book.
On my 2nd copy having left the first on the roof of car whilst leaving MC Donalds in Wrexham, after visiting one of the locations in the book :)
I tell you what, the litter problem is spreading out of control, it's disgusting! ...............lol. Some lucky buggers had that then.
cheers

Thank you all very much for your suggestions looking forward to getting out in the coming weeks.

You'd be lucky if someone handed it in in Wrexham :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
They'd use for fire in Borras Park

Mind you 8-10 miles up the A483 they'd not be able to read it. What are these word things?

Coming from Ruthin, lovely little town. Still plenty to do there (unlike Denbigh sadly) and Moel Fammau is only 6 miles away. The road from Denbigh to Pentrefoelas on the A5 takes you over the Moors, Gwylfa Hiraethog is/was a great subject for a grey day. Then you have Alwen and Brenig nearby....

Bala Llanrwst Conwy gives you plenty of options, list is long.

Given time I want to explore Blaenau Ffestininog and the abandoned mines e.g Cwmorthin (but if mobiliity is a problem should wait until you are better).

Porthmadog is nice, great views of Eryri and Yr Wyddfa.

I could go on and on...I would vouch for Simon's book, it is excellent (even if he does come from Mold)

Given time I want to explore Blaenau Ffestininog and the abandoned mines e.g Cwmorthin (but if mobiliity is a probl
We've spent a few days in all the quarries either side of the road near Blaenau.
You don't need to be over fit as the climbs are mainly long slots.
Some great stuff in there and you can easily spend more than a day in each site. The ability to read a map is a great help.

They'd use for fire in Borras Park

Mind you 8-10 miles up the A483 they'd not be able to read it. What are these word things?

Borras Park is where I lived until I was 24. When visiting my parents I see a big change. It’s still a very nice place but it gets quite worrying when the house around the corner from your parents get broken into. Thief smashed the bathroom window and made off with a tube of toothpaste!!!!!!

Anyway back on topic, not sure if the waterfall at Plas Power woods has been mentioned. Some great shots there especially if you go during the different seasons as there can be a lot of variety in your shots then.

Snip:
Coming from Ruthin, lovely little town.

I have many happy memories of Ruthin from the mid 70s to the early 80s as my grandparents lived there at the time. Plenty of pubs (I believe it was one of the highest density per head of population in the country at the time!) and some good shops too. There was a photographer's shop in the square overlooking the Castle Hotel, where I could buy Kodak Ektar roll film for some of the old box cameras I bought from the antiques/junk shop that used to be on Well Street; and the Trigger and Tackle, where you could buy everything from a fishing fly to an airfix kit and a dart board (a proper lad's shop!), which was the last shop on the right (along a raised walkway) as you left the square and dropped down the hill on Clwyd Street (next to the Boar's Head).

Then there was the Ruthin Steak House on the corner of Wynnstay Road and Well St... if you ordered the mixed grill it arrived on a huge meat plate and took you the rest of the night to eat! Happy days, I wish I could go back in time and spend the rest of my days there in that era. I still have some photos of the mediaeval day they used to hold one day each week during August, where people would get dressed up in costume. I'll have to find them on post them in the film and conventional section.

So yes, I know Ruthin, or used to. :) From the few times I've been back there since then, I think it still makes a picturesque town to photograph, so maybe add it to the shortlist of places to visit. Diolch.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Holy Well, Pantasaph Friary and the ruins of Basingwerk Abbey in and around Holywell:)

GC

Back