Plant/flower ID

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
We inherited these when we moved into the property and have not seen these anywhere before.

Single stem which can reach 14’, up to first floor window
Thin cylindrical leaves up the stem
Clutch of yellow flowers at top of stem
Flowers October
On south facing wall so sun all day

Googled but cannot find.

I would add image of them in the garden but recent rain/wind have decimated them.

Many thanks in advance.

Barry

TP_1.jpg

TP_2.jpg

Looks like a sunflower to me.

My initial thought was that it is a Sunflower variant.......there are many types/variants.

I suggest you have a look at the RHS website at their "plant finder"......maybe of not found send them a picture requesting their insight?

Not sure of this is the exact section or not
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-form

Last edited:
Flowers are only 100mm across petals
We have variants with small flowers and some with multiple flowers so I don't think their size would be a negative factor. I don't think there's a perennial version of sunflower so maybe they self seeded? Edit - just googled and there are perennial varieties - laetiflorus

Last edited:
We have variants with small flowers and some with multiple flowers so I don't think their size would be a negative factor. I don't think there's a perennial version of sunflower so maybe they self seeded?

Hi Mat,

Plants are perennial, cut back to ground level end of October, start to grow again in the spring

Is it growing to 14feet unsupported or is it climbing up the wall (e.g. on wires?)?

Unsupported makes me think of sunflowers.

PS all varieties though seem to have larger (ovate?) leaves not the very thin ones you mention or show in the picture, therefore ????

Last edited:
Hi Mat,

Plants are perennial, cut back to ground level end of October, start to grow again in the spring
See my editted post for perennial variant name. They sound wonderful.

Found it!

Helianthus salicifolius, common names ‘willow leaved sunflower’ and ‘column flower’.

Many thanks for your assistance, very much appreciated.

Barry
Excellent, glad you managed to ID it.......always nice to solve a mystery identification.

Back