Critique playing with my flash gun

These two "models" have a great look to me ;-) Hope you can do as the above two posters suggest as it would be great to see the results.

Gaz

You need to get it off camera - all you need is a cable, cheap stand and shoot through umbrella and the quality of this photo goes up x10.

Best thing i ever did. I brought a setup for a backdrop, i use that stand, it holds the speedlite well, its really helped in low light. Now to learn where light hits XD... Great shots btw :)

As I know next to nothing regarding the flash, ill just +1 the comments about it above ;)
Regarding the composition, I would say, removing any distracting elements from the composition, such as the cropped watch which is fighting for attention and also double checking the edge of the frame when shooting, ala the boys ear.

Perhaps being a little less zoomed in and giving a little more background would allow the subjects room to breath within the frame. I hope this helps?

Regards
Geoff

Direct on camera flash is rarely a good look. Try to get it off camera or to bounce the light off a larger surface to soften the light a bit. Was just looking back through my phone to find examples of on camera flash

IMG_1484488032.799578.jpg

This was taken with a large white wall behind me. The flash was on camera but pointing to the wall behind me, creating a much larger light source with softer light

IMG_1484488141.468140.jpg

This was taken with on camera flash and the flash angled to camera right to create a larger softer light source, bounced off a wall

IMG_1484488272.326092.jpg

This was taken with on camera flash with the flash angled off a side wall to create a larger softer light source.

Have a read around the websites and keep posting - folk on here are always willing to help!

Shaheed

Back