Please can someone ID this strange bird?

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
It ran in front of us for about 200 yards, made no attempt to fly, but ran into the hedge when a car came past. It was I guess about 30cm tall and brownish colour.

What is this bird? by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr

I know the photos not much to go by I just managed to grab my compact out of my rucksack and get the photo just as it was running away, but I thought it's posture was so strange. Any ideas please, as we have searched our bird books and the nearest we can find is a curlew.

My guess is a young Pheasant. Have a look here

My 1st thought was a pheasant

YES Yes yes!! SOMEONE actually agrees with me!! (y) (y) (y)

(sorry, having a bad day)

Thanks everyone. We do have lots of pheasants here as the local lord has game shooting there, but I often have one that walks along the road with me when I'm out walking and it doesn't look like this. This one had very long legs, much longer than the pheasant and was quite skinny. I also saw one of these last year and it had a brood of about 6 chicks walking along behind it.

Definitely a juvenille pheasant we have loads around by us :D
Regards
Richard

Deffo a pheasant poult. We have a few thousand about at the moment..............:D

Deffo a pheasant poult a few thousand about at the moment..............:D

Better start shootin' the poor, innocent, defenseless little buggers then:p

Last edited:
Better start shootin' the poor, innocent, defenseless little buggers then:p

I photograph them being shot. Don`t shoot them myself........:)

You forgot to add tasty to that list! ;)

Take the breast meet out and chuck the rest away, don`t even need to pluck them.

Sod it! No-one else has, so here goes.... it's a ROAD RUNNER!! meep meep!! :D:D:D

Take the breast meet out and chuck the rest away, don`t even need to pluck them.

Yep. Last lot I had were already plucked (makes taking them home a little easier- the wife doesn't go bonkers) so I roasted them, picked them clean and made a ragu. Really nice.

Gonna go against the flow here - I think it's an escaped Emu that's far away :)

hi I said corncrakes not cornflakes

What colour were the chicks if black definitely corncrake

LOL did you google Corncrake (y)

Hi Dave. Yes I did google Corncrake and it certainly did look like one, but it said that they were rare and very shy. I watched a video of one walking and it did walk the same.

I didn't see the chicks of this one as it was striding down the road on it's own. I keep looking at photos of female pheasants and it still doesn't look like it to me. I've seen loads of pheasants as they shoot them ( arghh) round here at Lord Merthyrs place. I hope they don't shoot this one.

It is a young pheasant, a poult, probably about 8 weeks old. It has not got its adult plumage nor shape yet. Probably why it looks a bit different to you.

It is a young pheasant, a poult, probably about 8 weeks old. It has not got its adult plumage nor shape yet. Probably why it looks a bit different to you.

Thanks Fracster. Looking at your website it looks as if you know your pheasants, albeit most of them are dead.:puke: I'll take your word for it, it must be a pheasant.

Thanks Fracster. Looking at your website it looks as if you know your pheasants, albeit most of them are dead.:puke: I'll take your word for it, it must be a pheasant.

Barbara..................it is, trust me on that.

If you read my site, I do explain a bit about shooting and wildlife. I am more than happy to discuss it with anyone in a different thread, should they want.

:)

I'd go further and say that it was a young cock bird; very pronounced spurs for its age though!

The question is " Why did it cross the road ":shrug:

Back