Please discuss: a canvas texture for a photographic print is an abomination.

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
Well I've said it in the title, I think. My claim is that such a choice is clumsily materialistic, and lies outside any sensible artistic remit. How a photograph (a recording of light) is rendered is intrinsic to its value. Of course people can do what they want, but my argument is about artistic integrity of purpose. Culturally, the arbiter of the worth of something isn't how POPULAR it is, but how it hangs together. Gut feeling must trump affectation every time.

Canvas made valid sense as a substrate to PAINT on - but for printing photographs? Come on - stop faking it!

Last edited:
It is called interior design. Some home or offices look better with canvases as opposed to heavy frames. It is about having non-reflective, wrapped image display. There is nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it there is also a choice of alumini and acrylic products.

And anyway photography is art (to some!) and there is a free range of choice to make at any stage of from planning to printing.

P.S. Why would I want to paint on canvas these days? There are more rigid and durable boards and substrates, nice, vibrant acrylic paint and all sorts of crazy things that could come handy.

I'm not a big fan of canvas prints. but people like them and they sell. There are also paper manufacturers that make paper that has a strong surface, texture. Hahnemuhle's Albrect Durer and Torchon are examples. With the right image these can look fine. At least nowadays canvases are either wraps or in decent frames, not the over the top gilt ones of the 80's

Good taste and popular taste are not the same thing John Betjamin

you dont need to get a frame with the wrapped ones, thats quite nice too. not sure if ive ever seen a decent one, because ones ive seen in shops looked like they used a low res image :/

Back in the '70s, a friend of Dad's used to get prints on canvas and offered an option where brush strokes could be added to make it look like a painting. More recently, I've seen a photo of a painting (on canvas) printed on canvas and it looked more false than the same print printed on flat paper!

As has been said above, tastes differ and what I like looking at, others may well not (and vice versa).

Depends on the subject. I have a really nice beach image on a long canvas that works because of the texture. Similarly I have an acrylic monochrome that suits that image

Hey, if we were all the same life would be boring!

I have some canvas prints and like them. To 99% of people a photo is not a recording of light, its a picture - thats it, and can be displayed how they want. Who cares about 'artisitc integrety of purpose', just sounds snobbish and eliteist to me!

People who say they like photographs as canvas prints are tasteless vulgarians.

Lyope said:

No they are paying customers and get what tbey want. Some very good close knit canvases out there that look no different to fine art textured papers.

Hey, if we were all the same life would be boring!

I have some canvas prints and like them. To 99% of people a photo is not a recording of light, its a picture - thats it, and can be displayed how they want. Who cares about 'artisitc integrety of purpose', just sounds snobbish and eliteist to me!

I agree, I am at uni today (I work as a carer for a photography student) Today I saw someone printing on tracing paper to display the picture on a lightbox, it looked great and different!

Variety is the spice of life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, freedom of choice etc etc . Please discuss.

Oh dear, I have 3 of my images as canvas's in my house and also sold a few more.

I must also state I had a really tasty steak last night... ;)

Perhaps if professional shooters would do the world a favour and heavily mark up the cost of canvasses to include a taste-tax...?

This discussion is absolutely absurd. Who gives a flying F*CK what people like to print their photographs on? It's down to taste. You don't like it? Cool, then you go print your photos on something else.

Ridiculous.

[EDIT] Also, I've never before read such a pretentious OP in all my time on this forum.

Last edited:
Personally I don't have an issue, personal taste and free choice and such shi....
If that makes me a tasteless vulgarian I'll take the title with pride :D

I grow sunflowers in my garden - Over 100 - Because it's low maintenance and they attract insects and later birds. And because they are fun.

Last Summer a very strong wind took down a few and so I cut them and stuck them in a glass vase. Naturally I then took a quick snap of them on my pocket camera.

One thing led to another and I applied a Photoshop filter and finally the image ended up like this - I kind of spoof on a Van Gogh.......

SunflowersVanGogh.jpg

I grow sunflowers in my garden - Over 100 - Because it's low maintenance and they attract insects and later birds. And because they are fun.

Last Summer a very strong wind took down a few and so I cut them and stuck them in a glass vase. Naturally I then took a quick snap of them on my pocket camera.

One thing led to another and I applied a Photoshop filter and finally the image ended up like this - I kind of spoof on a Van Gogh.......

SunflowersVanGogh.jpg

So tastless I nearly chundered...

Ive actually got an uncle that has lots of canvas prints in his place. Absolutely loves them. Lives by Wimbledon common...

I don't really see what the medium used has to come in to it to be honest, I have paper, canvas and acrylic prints around my home, I pick which ever medium best suits both the position I'm putting the picture and the image being used

So tastless I nearly chundered...

....Did you miss the part where I wrote it was a spoof then?

I'm not a fan of canvas textures etc (mine was a palette knife oil paint technique) but at least I keep an open mind.

Photography is just another alternative medium for creating images.

Last edited:

and people who make generalisations are all idiots :LOL:

Ive actually got an uncle that has lots of canvas prints in his place. Absolutely loves them. Lives by Wimbledon common...

just launched the ROFLcopter

....Did you miss the part where I wrote it was a spoof then?

I'm not a fan of canvas textures etc (mine was a palette knife oil paint technique) but at least I keep an open mind.

Photography is just another alternative medium for creating images.

Apologies, I think my humour may have been a little subtle on that one. If you look at my other posts in this thread, you will understand that I wasn't being serious.

Apologies, I think my humour may have been a little subtle on that one. If you look at my other posts in this thread, you will understand that I wasn't being serious.

....No problem :). It's very easy not to fully understand a post from just written words and no voice tone or body language etc. (y)

....No problem :). It's very easy not to fully understand a post from just written words and no voice tone or body language etc. (y)

Beat his ass with a stick he should have used a smiley the naughty boy :D

they do some nice wines - not tasteless at all

Back