Please feed the birds !!!

Yes - squirrel cull!

Seriously, though, it is possible but difficult to discourage squirrels without resorting to a caged feeder. You need to get the feeder far enough away from obejcts that the squirrel cannot jump across from a tree / post etc onto the feeder and then prevent him from climbing down onto it by using something he cannot get a grip or reach round on at the suspension point, eg cut off the top of an old 2lt drinks bottle.

Good luck!

I've found they can still shin up plastic piping so suspending it from a wire between two trees with drink bottle ends on works better (but more faff).

Think an air rifle is the easiest option : /

Any recommendations for a squirrel proof feeder which will allow woodpecker to use.
Looking for something that doesn't require a remortgage and does the job.

The only reliable solution I've found is a pole mounted feeder with one of those plastic inverted dishes under the feeder. Totally defeats the little sods, they just can't get any grip to get over the dish.

Cheers all
Looks like I'll have to give this serious thought.
Think first I'll try and rig up a pole system and see how that works out.

today i was talking to a friend at work and he said that he wanted to get rid of his feeding table because it attracts mice, does anyone have this kind of problem in their garden?

Yes but the mice don't eat the birds eggs!

Nothing seems to come to my feeder(s), I keep them clean and they are not near any predators, but still nothing, summer or winter. We do have birds in the area as I have seen them but alas they pass me by.
No idea why though, any thoughts anyone?

Matt

Yes, don't use a feeder :thumbsdown:

Sounds silly but feeders are NOT natural, go to your local council dump, find a good size log, say 3' by 1', drill holes along it and fill with nuts, seed, and especially PEANUT butter, you see.................

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/jser1/pond.jpg

People place feeders tables and all sorts of whatever in gardens, what you want is a "natural studio", you set it up, feed the birds winter, sring, summer, autumn and they pose for you.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/jser1/Img_4264.jpg

Notice the natural perches, over the pond, no seed holes visible, and STAY HIDDEN it can take 20 minutes for birds to come back.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/jser1/hide.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/jser1/sqirrell.jpg

Last edited:
It's great to see what's being done to feed our birds, especially now. I don't feed peanuts now, they just go rotten. Sunflower hearts, + black seeds, for the Coal Tits. They store them. They last longer with the husks on. Have any of you tried Safflower seeds? They have higher fat/oil content than sunflower seeds. Some birds need time to get used to them. Squirrels detest them! The other plus, my Hedgehogs & their hoglets love them. Keep up the good work.

Hoping you lot of bird experts can advise me......

built a very basic bird table 2 years ago , live in a very built up area but there are plenty of birds around as I can hear them . So far I've seen 2 pairs of Blackbirds who are now constant visitors , 1 Robin , a couple of starlings on one occasion & the fatest pigeon in Yorkshire !

Been putting out fatballs both in a hanging feeder & in 1/2 coconut shells....they've been barely touched . Tried sunflower hearts & niger seed ...didn't get touched at all . Have found the only thing that works so far is Bill Odies Wildbird mealworm muesli & water soaked sultana's :thinking: I also have a small bird bath near the table .

Any idea what else I can put out to attract the different varieties of birds ?

I don't have much greenery in the garden but do have a large hawthorn bush , not expecting birds to nest but would like to get more birds coming for tea :)

Thanks in advance for any advice ,lynne

Hoping you lot of bird experts can advise me......

built a very basic bird table 2 years ago , live in a very built up area but there are plenty of birds around as I can hear them . So far I've seen 2 pairs of Blackbirds who are now constant visitors , 1 Robin , a couple of starlings on one occasion & the fatest pigeon in Yorkshire !

Been putting out fatballs both in a hanging feeder & in 1/2 coconut shells....they've been barely touched . Tried sunflower hearts & niger seed ...didn't get touched at all . Have found the only thing that works so far is Bill Odies Wildbird mealworm muesli & water soaked sultana's :thinking: I also have a small bird bath near the table .

Any idea what else I can put out to attract the different varieties of birds ?

I don't have much greenery in the garden but do have a large hawthorn bush , not expecting birds to nest but would like to get more birds coming for tea :)

Thanks in advance for any advice ,lynne

There could be a number of reasons why they wont come to your garden. If you or your neighbors have cats make sure the feeders are placed well away from some where a cat could pounce from, I have mine in the center of the garden.
Birds like to fly in to a perch to take a look around before they feed, make sure there is some where they can fly too.
It can take a while for birds to learn where there is a food supply, it's taken mine over two years but now I have greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches. sparrows and the like. Be patient they will come.

There could be a number of reasons why they wont come to your garden. If you or your neighbors have cats make sure the feeders are placed well away from some where a cat could pounce from, I have mine in the center of the garden.
Birds like to fly in to a perch to take a look around before they feed, make sure there is some where they can fly too.
It can take a while for birds to learn where there is a food supply, it's taken mine over two years but now I have greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches. sparrows and the like. Be patient they will come.

Birds certainly like a bit of cover where they can hide out while checking the food supplies, so planting some shrubs is a good idea.

Cheers Guys , very small garden , & unfortunately a cut through for the local moggies . Have planted a few shrubs but they're still young so not much to them...I will persevere though, get a few more green things in this year & keep putting food out .I may look at moving the feeder this year as well, possibly a bit too close to a fence... (y)

Hi ya

think the word is out...finally getting a fair few visitors.......to date I have a pair of blackbirds with a fledgling , percy pigeon & his mate and this week has also seen the arrival of...... a house sparrow with 2 fledgings , 4 starlings with at least 2 fledglings , a Great Tit , a Blue tit , a Robin & this morning a Green Finch.....feeling lots happier with the set up and grinning like a daft sod this morning when I saw the finch...

gonna get some more different types of seeds....maybe niger seed & sunflower hearts to see if I can encourage some more visitors ...

Good points about cover; there is not much you can do about it other than wait for the shrubs to grow. However, as birds are now finding your feeders things should improve. In out garden sunflower hearts are liked by most - great tit, blue tit, goldfinch, and the odd greenfinch and chaffinch. We have found the round fat balls get ignored, though the local squirrels like them, but the square fat cakes are popular, especially with starlings. One thing that is really popular are live meal worms - not cheap but, with the exception of wood pigeons, everything eats them. Unfortunately when a blackbird or magpie spots them they do not last long.

Dave

Cheers Guys , very small garden , & unfortunately a cut through for the local moggies . Have planted a few shrubs but they're still young so not much to them...I will persevere though, get a few more green things in this year & keep putting food out .I may look at moving the feeder this year as well, possibly a bit too close to a fence... (y)

Plant as many Lilies as you can, that will reduce your cat problem, a bird bath will be popular especially at this time of year but keep it filed so they keep coming back.

This year we have set up our first feeder, have a lot of problems with squirrels as we back onto woodland. Read to put a wok type lid inverted on feeder with a little cooking oil to stop them climbing, will give it a go when I can find a cheap wok or similiar. We have house extensions going on both next doors, will put up more feeders later in year when building work is finished.

Now for the noob question. We have bought a bird bath yesterday, how close should it be positioned in relation to the feeder? I have set it about 4 meteres away at present, as it sits nicely from a mowing point of view, It's a metal one so is heavy to move around.

I've been giving my feeders a good clean to get rid of any mold and fungus, if you see birds not staying around your feeders for long this could be the problem.

Suet pellets are a hit in my garden, they never used to be but even the juveniles like them now. I have little pots of water everywhere because they are so dry and I crush some. The bird bath is used a lot for drinking, all in all this year is going well with the amount of youngster about.

We have one solitary feeder in our small garden which hangs from a fence post.

It's fairly open and usually contains the fat balls, however they're being decimated by magpies and jackdaws (ie not the kind of bird I want to attract).

Any hints on what I can do to feed the nicer, smaller birds rather than auld craws?

Any hints on what I can do to feed the nicer, smaller birds rather than auld craws?

Some people use hanging basket mesh or similar to surround the feeder, small birds can enter and larger birds cannot :)

We have one solitary feeder in our small garden which hangs from a fence post.

It's fairly open and usually contains the fat balls, however they're being decimated by magpies and jackdaws (ie not the kind of bird I want to attract).

Hi Ian:)!

The RSPB sell feeders like these:

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/birds-w...pb-easy-clean-seed-feeder-guardian-small.html

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/birds-wildlife/bird-feeders/roundhaus-seed-bird-feeder.html

I haven't tried them out. The pictures might give you some ideas if you're a DIY person!

They look ideal, thank you! I'm very much not a DIY person so will look at buying something like that I think :)

Oh good:)! Glad my post was helpful. I'm looking to get one of these myself!

Bought a plastic jar of bird peanut butter, it was crumbly. I thought I could spread it on a tree branch but it wouldn't stick. Really I didn't think much of it, had anyone else tried to use it.

Loved looking at what everyone gets in their garden's. Always try to keep our feeder topped up and am currently working on some custom feeders for better photography interest.

We have several feeders in our garden & have many birds. Now a rat has moved in. We have bought a rat bait station & poison, now we have to be careful how we feed the birds & sweep up any loose food that drops so the rat can't eat it. It's a real pain. I've emptied the birds water tray as the rat was drinking from it. This is a real shame as I have great photos of the birds splashing about in it, & now it's warmer I should have been able to take more photos but can't. Rats....

We have several feeders in our garden & have many birds. Now a rat has moved in. We have bought a rat bait station & poison, now we have to be careful how we feed the birds & sweep up any loose food that drops so the rat can't eat it. It's a real pain. I've emptied the birds water tray as the rat was drinking from it. This is a real shame as I have great photos of the birds splashing about in it, & now it's warmer I should have been able to take more photos but can't. Rats....

Get yourself an air rifle!

Always love seeing the birds coming to the feeders. Using Twootz for buying my peanuts - any other recommendations on the best place to get their bird food

Back