Please feed the birds !!!

I've finally set up my feeding station and went to the local Jolleys pet store.
They have their own "£1 range" mixed seed (1.5kg), peanuts (Halves - 400g) fat balls(8), meal worms(80g).

I have all that in my garden but the birds seem to be absent at the moment, I don't see a fraction of those that were here a few years ago :(

Half my feeders were eaten by the squirrel last year ... and yes I do mean the feeders! :mad:

I've finally set up my feeding station and went to the local Jolleys pet store.
They have their own "£1 range" mixed seed (1.5kg), peanuts (Halves - 400g) fat balls(8), meal worms(80g).

Can't see that on the website. :thinking:

The last feeding frenzy was during the birds breeding period, now the cold weather is here its building up again.

Fat balls, sunflower hearts and peanuts are their favourites. A robin eats the crumbs that drop from the feeder. Additionaly we have the odd starling, 5 blue tits, lots of sparrows and a few fat pigeons that take bread off the lawn. Not forgetting two young squirrels that hang upside down on the peanut feeder, they have to eat too. Our cat is good, he just ignores them, and they ignore him too.

I'll have to check as there is one not too far from me. :)
I hope its not just a local promotion ( but I doubt it ) and you don't have a wasted journey :)

Half my feeders were eaten by the squirrel last year ... and yes I do mean the feeders!
I bought a reasonable quality feeder for £2.49 ( plastic not wire though) I have squirrels too, but so far so good :D

Its only been up 24 hours along with the rest, and only magpies have visited so far, although there are loads of starlings about as well.
It'll take them a few days to find it no doubt ..

I had to laugh earlier, I topped up the deli bar with meal worms, a magpie was in like flynn, grabbed a beak full, and 2 others chased it out of sight, trying to mob it.
Had they bothered to check, they would have discovered there was plenty left for everyone :D

I get bird seed from Amazon £15 for 20kg, birds seem to like it , Home bargains usually have seed in at a decent price & fat balls about £4 for 40 IIRC.

Half my feeders were eaten by the squirrel last year ... and yes I do mean the feeders! :mad:

I know this is an old post but it's new to me and made me smile...We have several feeders in the garden and bird bath, there's mixed seed, peanuts and fat balls,
meal worm we put on the ground for the Robins. They don't seem too keen using the feeders although we occasionally see them on the fat balls. A few years
back I made a holder for suet logs, and it went down a treat with all the Tits, but the fluffy tufty tails soon took a liking to it. Amazing how much one squirrel
can put away. Our lass had a bird cage, more of an ornament than a real one, I bought it for her to put house plants is. Anyway, we decided to hang the suet logs
inside the cage, and for a few days it did the trick. Then one squirrel realised that if it hung on one side of the cage, the suet log holder would swing towards it.
The little sod used to grab it with one hand whilst holding on to the cage with the other, and it would hang there until it had had it's fill...Then the little bugger
worked out that it could unhook the holder, climb underneath the cage, and have an easy lunch. This is the third holder I made from Oak which was soaked in oil.
I'll hook it top and bottom next time:giggle:

Bird Feeder Whats Left.jpg

Back